Author Topic: What happened to the underwater scenes promised by Lucasfilms in Mon Calamari?  (Read 4036 times)

Offline Napoleon

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
I saw Hayden and Ewan in a giant pool filming a scene during mexican convention of Star Wars Encuentros 2004. Steve told us there would be a submarine sequence similar to the one Kit Fisto had at Mon Calamari in the animated Clone Wars. Was that all a vain promise?
« Last Edit: June 7, 2005, 05:30 PM by Napoleon »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
I guess it was one of those scenes cut out for "pacing".

It will probably end up like Ki-Adi's and Plo Koon's raid on a TF starship-- filmed, but never finished.

If it is finished, I hope it shows on the DVD.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
In the comic, they scaped some SBDs by plunging into the fuel of the Invisible Hand.

That was probably the scene they scrapped.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
In the comic, they scaped some SBDs by plunging into the fuel of the Invisible Hand.

That was probably the scene they scrapped.

according to something I read on SW.com, that's what they did, filmed and cut the scene in the fuel tank.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
From what I heard it was an extremely brief scene.  It's not like it was an epic battle for the ages. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. Where was it supposed to fit in?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
I was thinking that the E3 video game sorta touched on where this scene may have been...  Anyone know that?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
From what I can tell, the "fuel tank" sequence was to occur just after Grievous murdered Shaak Ti in front of Anakin and Obi-Wan on The Invisible Hand.  Once Grievous had impaled her from behind (minds out of the gutter!), loads of droids would converge on Anakin and Obi-Wan, who would then use their lightsabers to cut a hole in the floor (similar to what Anakin did with the elevator) and drop through to the next level.

The problem is that the next level was the fuel tanks and (in what seemed to me to be similar to the underwater kitchen scene in "Alien: Resurrection") at one point Anakin and Obi-Wan would have to swim through a deeper portion to get to the other side and escape.  The SBDs would pursue them and one actually catches Obi-Wan for a moment before they are finally able to get out and make their way to the elevator where they are confronted by Droideks and so on and so forth.

I would assume that this was cut very early on or else there was one of those Gungan dryer shields between the tanks and the elevators because otherwise I can't begin to imagine how neither Ben nor Anakin are "wet" during any of the subsequent scenes on the ship.

There are photos of this sequence in the animatics phase in the "Making of ROTS" book by the way, if anyone wants to take a look.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
This could be where the Obi-Wan Deluxe figure with SBD comes into play too...  He doesn't really fight any SBD's in the film save the 2 on the steps during the Dooku duel, and he kicks neither.

The fuel sequence in the E3 game had it very SBD intensive...  One "new" droid was a Super Grappler BD that just was a beefier than regular SBD's and grabbed the characters.  Usually the games reflect the movies in a sense...  I could see this having a relation to a SBD grabbing Obi.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Napoleon

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Posted by Napoleon:
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2005, 05:33 PM »
No I clearly saw artwork of a huge scale battle underwater. There's even a Mon Calamari action figure for ROTS basic figures when did it appear?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
The Mon Cal's a senator figure who (if he appeared) was only seen briefly when Palpatine returned to the Senate after his kidnapping.  Can't say I've seen any artwork having to do with an underwater battle myself.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
From what I can tell, the "fuel tank" sequence was to occur just after Grievous murdered Shaak Ti in front of Anakin and Obi-Wan on The Invisible Hand.  Once Grievous had impaled her from behind (minds out of the gutter!), loads of droids would converge on Anakin and Obi-Wan, who would then use their lightsabers to cut a hole in the floor (similar to what Anakin did with the elevator) and drop through to the next level.

How could Grievous kill Shaak Ti when you see her in the Jedi Coucil later on in the movie?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
How could Grievous kill Shaak Ti when you see her in the Jedi Coucil later on in the movie?

Maybe that's why the scene got cut.  Who knows...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile

I explained this at length in the ROTS "thoughts" thread.  If the link doesn't work, it's at the top of the fifth page of the thread.

The Many Deaths of Shaak Ti

« Last Edit: June 7, 2005, 10:20 PM by DoctorPadawan »