Author Topic: Why dindn't Vader overthrow Darth Sidious?  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Napoleon

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Why dindn't Vader overthrow Darth Sidious?
« on: June 7, 2005, 05:38 PM »
Lord Vader is definitely more powerful than Sidious why hasn't he overthrowed him? In the game of Episode III he does that in the alternative ending.

Offline MommySkywalker

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Why dindn't Vader overthrow Darth Sidious?
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2005, 07:56 PM »
Lord Vader is definitely more powerful than Sidious why hasn't he overthrowed him? In the game of Episode III he does that in the alternative ending.
=================

I don't think he is more powerful than Sidious, actually.  I think once he became mostly machine, his power to use the force was diminished.  For instance, he cannot use force lightning, like Sidious.  If the measure of power within the force is measured by midichlorians, and Vader is half-machine, it stands to reason he has a lower balance of midichlorians than before.  :::shrug:::  Just my two cents ... !
Lisa, aka Mommy Skywalker
Remember: concentrate on the moment.
Feel, don't think; use your instincts.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2005, 08:44 PM »
I think I remember George Lucas saying something similar to what MommySkywalker just mentioned.

I thought he did overthrow Sidious....did y'all miss that part in Return of the Jedi?  :o
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2005, 11:07 PM »
The second-to-last page of the novelization implies essentially that. Although it doesn't reference the midis directly.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 8, 2005, 08:35 AM »
Personally I think Vader is just lost in a darkside funk for twenty years.  You know from looking good to being a stubby burnt up piece of flesh inside a freaking suit of armor.  He was just depressed.  Lost his lady love and could not get another chick looking how he does.  Plus all that bitterness and self pity. 

He gets to satisfy himself every now and then with a killing.  Gets the aggresion out.  He wont' overthrow the Emperor because he helped pull from the lava beach on Mustafar.  Probably felt that he owes him.  Also, Anakin probably thinks Palpatine is a tad stronger in the Force with that lightning.  So, he can't really do anything about him. He just goes about his merry, darkside manner until inspiration hits him in ROTJ. 

"Killy my son will you?  I think not." 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 11:44 AM »
Personally I think Vader is just lost in a darkside funk for twenty years. 

More or less. Vader might have been more powerfull pysically, but Palpatine had more wisdom and trickery.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Personally I think Vader is just lost in a darkside funk for twenty years.  You know from looking good to being a stubby burnt up piece of flesh inside a freaking suit of armor.  He was just depressed.  Lost his lady love and could not get another chick looking how he does.  Plus all that bitterness and self pity. 

He gets to satisfy himself every now and then with a killing.  Gets the aggresion out.  He wont' overthrow the Emperor because he helped pull from the lava beach on Mustafar.  Probably felt that he owes him.  Also, Anakin probably thinks Palpatine is a tad stronger in the Force with that lightning.  So, he can't really do anything about him. He just goes about his merry, darkside manner until inspiration hits him in ROTJ. 

"Killy my son will you?  I think not." 

Precisely.

Much like a psychologically abusive spouse, Palpy would have had ways to manipulate Vader into staying with him. Look at all the plotting that went into corrupting Anakin to begin with--once there it would be a comparatively simple matter to keep him on the leash. I'm sure Palpy milked "I rescued your crispy torso and put you in this position of power, so you owe me" as much as he could.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)