Author Topic: How long have you collected SW?  (Read 6312 times)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: How long have you collected SW?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2005, 06:45 PM »
Started in 78 with my mom buying me R2, 3PO and a Landspeeder. Continued to bug my parents until 1984 I believe then started the dark times in which during the 8th grade I sold all my vintage figures/vehicles except my Boba Fett.  :(

Then it started back up in 1998 with the prequels although my first official figure back in the game was a EU Mara Jade. I bought it at a TRU in Paradise Valley,AZ during college. And Ive been with it ever since. I want to start picking up the vintage line again. Just for ol times sake.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2005, 05:23 AM »
Hmm, probably arund '92 or so for me. picking up old vintage SW figures here and there in antique shops when I was a kid, and then a year or so later the Micro machines.

Then of course the big boom in '95 with the relaunch.. Not nearly as long as most of you guys though.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2005, 03:12 PM »
I started Summer of 78 when I got my first Star Wars figures.  Granted, I was 7 and they were my toys, but I think I still have the cardbacks from all my figures and that's not something I did with any of my other toys.  Granted, a bunch of them are missing the proofs of purchase so I could score Boba Fett, Bossk and the Emperor by mail.  ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2005, 05:52 PM »
Well, since I wasn't lucky enough to be born when the movies came out originally, though a few months after ROTJ, my childhood was filled with other toys with very little related to Star Wars. During most of that time I would get MOTU, TMNT, X-Men, and Spider-Man figures along with LEGO sets.

It wasn't until the new line in '95 that I decided to get some. I'd get a few here and there and actually kept many of em carded (foreshadowing), but within a couple years, I didn't collect much figures anymore. I'd open many of them over the years and then it wasn't until the Summer after AOTC came out that I got hooked again.

More die-hard now, I guess it's only been a little over 3 years and 1000s of dollars later ...

8)
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2005, 10:59 PM »
Had all the(90%) of the original vintage figs ( including the sears/or jcpenny cantina mail away with blue snaggletooth) Had the Death star, droid workshop, some ships ect. Somehow it dissapeared after I grew up and went to recover it...All that remains is about 15% of the figs and one measely tie fighter that the wings don't stay on anymore LOL. Started SERIOUSLY collecting again from 1995 until present

My parents always remind me of how bad I cried before Christmas because I had to have 'that Death Star playset' sooo bad And I didn't think Santa was listening..C'mon I was 8! Anyway the story turned out good  and bad...I got the death star AND the cantina mail away figs But to this day nobody knows whateva happened to that damned death star!

Offline Dark_Jedi_21

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 3, 2005, 11:28 PM »
I had a lot the toys when I was a kid.  All of them are gone now except for a very worn Bespin Han.  I always loved the movies but I was oblivious to star wars toys in my teenage years.  I rediscovered them when TPM came out.  Then it was the POTJ.  I started going back and collecting all the POFT2 items i missed.  I even inherited a college buddys old vintage figs.  I dont know how I went all those years and didnt pay any attention to this stuff. 
Do or do not. There is no try.