Author Topic: VOTC Returns in 2006!  (Read 29634 times)

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC and OTC Returns in 2006!
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2005, 10:00 PM »
I would want VOTC Bespin and Hoth versions of Luke, Leia and Han most of all along with a Jedi Luke and X Wing Luke.  Others I would buy would be a Jawa, Tusken Raider, Cantina aliens, Death Squad Commander, Snowtrooper, Hoth Rebel Soldier, all bounty hunters, Biker Scout, Endor Rebel trooper, Endor Han and Leia and an Emperor. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2005, 01:58 PM »
$10 figures in mass quantity are just too much to ask for from this little CHEWIE.

I can stomach maybe 12 VOTC priced figures per year.  As a diorama builder and army builder, even for the core characters I'll want at least 3 each of to open.  And army builders, somewhere in the dozens.

So, please Hasbro - do not make too many of these each year.  I don't think the hobby can sustain it.  I say to 12 VOTC figures per year, or 24 if you include the prequels.

:P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Rebelscum has a report up containing a few tidbits about the future OTC line.  I'd say take them with a grain of salt for now, and hopefully we'll learn more at Comic-Con in a couple of days.  From the sounds of things, the OTC packaging style is returning (which we've heard a number of times) and apparently from their "source"...the packaging that has been seen had a bunch of repacks on the back.  While I totally expected repacks, I really hope it isn't the overall theme of the line...at least not to the ratios that the first round of OTC figures were.  The figures they have listed:

* Chewbacca as Boushh's Bounty

* Leia (In Boushh Disguise)

* Han Solo in Carbonite (from Jabba's Palace)

* Bib Fortuna

* Barada (most recently from Skirkish at Carkoon)

* One more unidentified character, possibly from Jabba's Palace

This sort of disappoints me, as I was hoping to get an all new Boussh Leia, Han in Carbonite, and Bib Fortuna.  Plus, Fortuna was just released last year in the OTC, and to me the Chewie in Chains would seem silly and underscaled now compared to the VOTC, Early Bird (and even Cloud City) versions.  Anyways, like I said, maybe it was a mock up...maybe the whole story is untrue, we'll have to wait and see...but I know I'd rather see at least some of these get resculpted, and have some more new figures.  Can't wait until Wednesday on, so we can get a peek of the future of the Star Wars line.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2005, 04:09 PM »
I was really hoping for a newly-sculpted Han in Carbonite and Leia in Boushh disguise.

I want to say that these repacks will prove harmful to the line, but after the success of OTC last year, I'm not sure saying that would be true.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2005, 05:21 PM »
I was really hoping for a newly-sculpted Han in Carbonite and Leia in Boushh disguise.

I want to say that these repacks will prove harmful to the line, but after the success of OTC last year, I'm not sure saying that would be true.

Not trying to repeat myself but I'll say it here too...

Right now Hasbro is in a mode of "bring in as many new buyers to the line as possible"

Give them a year and they will realize that it ain't happening. Now sales of P&OTC could surprise us all and sell like gangbusters even though the figures are all rehashes - but in the end Hasbro will end up pissing off more of the current fan base than gaining new ones.

Like both of the previous posts stated - new versions of Bib Fortuna, Leia as Boushh and Han in Carbonite are ALL needed. To rehash them would just be stupid at this point. The POTF2 Chewie in Chains is a joke compared to the VOTC Chewie - so to go backwards like this would just be plain ridiculous.

Here's to hoping that any figures shown on the back of packaging was for mock-up purposes only and the first wave of P&OTC figures we're getting is an all new ROTJ Jabba's palace wave.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Well, Rebelscum has now updated their information.  It now sounds as if the Leia, Han Solo (Carbonite), and Bib Fortuna could be new figures.  Others likely repacks...more details at the linky.  Hopefully we'll see some of this at Comic-Con and get a better feel for the line post-ROTS.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2005, 09:55 PM »
There's so much apparent speculation going on, it's hard to get excited about anything when information is being changed within the same day.

I'm waiting for Comic-Con before I think too much about these...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2005, 10:48 PM »
Amen Jesse...  People's wires are getting crossed, people's hopes are getting raised (or sunk), and it's just a mess of rumors in all directions at the moment.

On this one, let me chalk my opinion up that all the figures mentioned needed a resculpt, even Barada (to represent the vintage character, not the 3-pack figure) in my book.  Not a one would make a good re-release.  And as I recall, Bib Fortuna wasn't the hottest selling OTC figure in my neck of the woods.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2005, 01:08 PM »
I do hope the Bib Fortuna is a new sculpt.  The POTF one was good back in the day I suppose.  I would like a nice new version.  Personally I think Han in Carbonite is way over due.  A new one that is.  Yes, a Barada harking back to the days of the original line would be nice.  I am surprised they are repacking it though because  that cinema scene rotted on the shelves.  I wish they would stick an Ishi Tib head on a body that looks like it came from Jabba's Palace instead of the Rebel Briefing scene in ROTJ.    But that is me.  I always liked the Leia Boushh figure but a new version would be welcome. 

But we are going to have to live with the repacks I guess.  It will drive a lot of us nuts.  At least the packaging sounds like it will look like the OTC. 

What do you think about the potential of the holographic figures?  I am not sure what they got in mind there. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Some figure could stand to be repacked, but they never seem to re-pack the right ones like Motti or even Sio Bibble. I'm hoping that the packaging samples that these are being peported form are still a work in progress because I'd love to see the Barada from Luke and Han's Skiff in stead of the one we already have.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2005, 05:42 PM »
I'm wondering if the hologram pack-ins are going to be anything but little holo versions of various characters from the saga, whether they appeared in holographic form or not.  I can see them doing them randomly, with little attention to who the figure or who the hologram is.  That said, here's what would make sense (well, here's what I would like to see):

1.  OOM-9 (Trophy Edition) with mini holo Nute Gunray
2.  SA Battle Droid (good plastic) with mini holo Rune Haako
3.  Holographic Darth Sidious (reissue) with mini holo Maul
4.  SA Mace Windu with mini holo Obi-Wan Kenobi (AOTC)
5.  SA Padme (AOTC) with mini holo Mace Windu
6.  SA General Grievous with mini holo Darth Sidious
7.  SA Yoda with mini holo of any Jedi Council member (hey, they could even do a series of 12 mini holo Council members in varying figures to "complete the set")
8.  Commander Cody with mini holo Emperor Palpatine
9.  SA Obi-Wan Kenobi with mini holo Bail Organa
10.  SA Senate Sidious with mini holo Vader (ROTS)
11.  SA General Veers with mini holo Vader (ESB)

Will we get any of these?  Probably not. 

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Not sure what they have in mind with those.  I do like the idea of the holographic council.  Maybe somehow they could include a little Jedi council set to sit them all in?  Yeah, I know.  Probably not. 

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2005, 07:57 PM »
I hope the package does not change too much.  Sounds like a combo of E3 and OTC.  Still not a fan of the new package.  As far as repacks.  I could live with any fig that was a pack in or was on an odd size card (dlx, cinema scene, exclusive). 

Though a pegwarmer, I would love to see an Amanaman on the OTC card as well as an OT Uncle Owen (retooled a bit), Dr Evazan, Muftak, Labria, Oola, Cantina Band Member,  etc.  Hopefully we see the few figs that still need a resculpt.  Mainly:  Luke and Han Storm, Luke Ceremonial, Luke Snowspeeder, R5, Han Carb, DS Gunner, AT-AT Driver, AT-ST Driver (Imperial Forces or Han version with new head), DS Trooper,  Tarkin, Hoth Soldier (4 duds thus far), Walrusman, Ackbar, Biggs (removable helmet), Han Endor.  Man I think I am finally realizing how much the sculpts sucked from 95-97.   

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2005, 08:10 PM »
I was just thinking the other day: wouldn't it be cool (and cheaper for them) if Hasbro did a single X-Wing Pilot figure, that came with Wedge, Biggs, Red Leader, and generic pilot heads and helmets that you could mix and match.  I mean, you do the tooling for one SA body, do four head sculpts, four helmet repaints, and release it as one figure.

This would be beneficial to Hasbro because they could ship them at 4 Pilots per case instead of 2 of each individual pilot, so that more case space could be allocated to that much-requested Cantina Han recard and the 1500th version of Tatooine Luke, plus it would guard against pegwarmers because anyone and everyone who opened the figures (well, okay, me) would buy four figures so I could have all four pilots.

Despite the claims that "oh, if we did that, we wouldn't make as much money", I have a feeling if they did four individually carded X-Wing Pilots, people would buy Wedge and leave the other three, creating a bigger glut and less sales.  Why not go the cheap route and keep collectors, retailers, and themselves happy?

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2005, 08:33 PM »
they'd have to devise a way to snap the heads on...oh Kit Fisto style!
who Learned you To spoke!