Author Topic: VOTC Returns in 2006!  (Read 29628 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: VOTC and OTC Returns in 2006!
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2005, 12:16 PM »
As for the Vintage line, what's the list of everyone who hasn't been done from that?

Resculpts don't bother me as long as it is a significant improvement from the previous version and/or the original figure was either bad to begin with or falls short of today's level of quality.  The sad thing is that 90% of the POTF2 figures fall into this area.

I've been keeping a close eye on the figures from the POTF2 era that probably need resculpting and I've noticed something interesting.  With the release of the "Pit of Carkoon" wave, all the figures released on orange POTF2 cards (including Boussh Leia but excluding the SOTE crap) have been redone in the last three or four years and replaced with superior versions.  Also, several figures per year from the green card POTF2 have been redone and replaced with superior versions.

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8617.0

As far as this list:

01.  Death Star Gunner
02.  R5-D4
03.  Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise
04.  Jawa
05.  Momaw Nadon/Hammerhead
06.  Tusken Raider
07.  2-1B Medical Droid
08.  AT-ST Driver
09.  Hoth Rebel Soldier
10.  Han Solo in Endor Gear
11.  ASP-7 Droid
12.  Admiral Ackbar
13.  4-LOM
14.  Garindan
15.  Weequay Skiff Guard
16.  Ponda Baba
17.  Grand Moff Tarkin
18.  EV-9D9
19.  Nien Nunb
20.  Gammorean Guard
21.  Saelt Marae/Yak Face
22.  Luke Skywalker in Ceremonial Outfit
23.  Princess Leia in Endor Gown
24.  Logray
25.  Wicket
26.  Biggs Darklighter
27.  Lak Sivrak
28.  Captain/Admiral Piett
29.  Zuckuss
30.  Ishi Tib
31.  Ugnaught
32.  8D8

33.  Chewbacca as Boussh's Bounty
34.  Orrimarko/Prune Face
35.  Mon Mothma (ROTJ)
36.  Death Star Trooper
37.  Ree Yees
38.  Princess Leia in Hoth Gear
39.  AT-AT Driver
40.  R2-D2 with Launching Lightsaber
41.  Princess Leia in Ceremonial Gown

I'd say about 50% are OK and not needed...the rest though would be more than welcome

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Most droids don't need redoing frankly. Like 2-1B -- the character is pretty static to begin with, so there's not much improvement needed. And with droids being mechanical and all, you don't need to worry about achieving a more accurate likeness.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2005, 01:51 PM »
I actually noticed your thread about four up from mine as soon as I'd posted, Scott, so I guess my ninja editing was too slow for your eyes.  ;)

As for the thoughts on the list, while I agree with you on some of them, newer versions of others, IMHO, are actually needed at this point.  Or at the very least, retooled versions of the originals.

For instance, I think a new 4-LOM would be welcomed (I still don't like the Dorito stain paint of the first version), and the Gammorean Guard has never looked particularly accurate to me, especially from the neck up.  I'd love to see a newly sculpted version (or at least a new head that isn't so puny on the POTF2 body) of that one.

Regarding Zuckuss and Ishi Tib, while I think the sculpting on the original versions is great, I'm not that fond of the "bib" robes on them.  I'd much rather have versions with solid coats (along the lines of Nute Gunray's) instead of the sandwich boards the version we already have have. 

Otherwise though, I agree with the vast majority of your strike-throughs on the list.  I was just being thorough.  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2005, 01:52 PM »
For the most part as well, if they would make a new Nien Nunb or a new Tusken, I'd still buy it...so call me a sucker :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2005, 05:22 PM »
Call me a nut, but Nein Numb's becoming one of my top resculpt wants...  Re-use the Ten Numb head even, but man that figure sucks standing next to any newer figure.  He's pretty rough and buff.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2005, 02:55 PM »
I am probably alone in thinking that most of the POTF2 (and beyond) needs to be redone.  I like a Rehash if it is an improvement.

First off I think anything that had an "Action Feature" from 1995 till NOW deserves the respect of being re-done.  The ones that stick out in my mind most are Hoth Han, Endor Han and Luke Bespin from Saga.

Then their are the "One Pose Wonders" that really need more articulation (dare I say "Super Articulation") like Death Star Trooper, Bespin Han Solo (POTJ) and Biker Scouts.

I'll make a definative list when time allows...........

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2005, 03:03 PM »
I'm among the minority that enjoys resculpts as well, at least when they are needed.  The figures you mentioned (Hoth Han, Endor Han, Bespin Luke) are all good "main character" resculpt candidates, as well as some of the few confirmed 06 figures (Boussh, Carb. Han, Bib Fortuna).  I think we'd all enjoy seeing some nice, SA versions of all the various troopers (Hoth, Scout, Rebel, etc.)  There are probably a few sculpts that have "stood the test of time", but overall I think quite a few figures that haven't been visited since the POTF2 days could stand a nice re-do.  Not an entire line of the, but having a few here and there alongside "all new" figures would be just fine with me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Count me in on resculpts too...  Figures like Boussh Leia are the kinda things that make me giddy because I think their previous versions are so terrible.  My resculpt list, just off the top of my head, would be like this:

-Nein Numb (reuse Ten's head and make a new hat)
-SA Endor Han Solo (I'd like a removable softgoods coat, but a coat ala Agen Kolar's robe...  Now that'd make EVERYONE happy on that figure I think)
-SA Bespin Luke...  Can't stand the Saga figure at all.  Too pre-posed, not to mention the feature.
-SA Hoth Han Solo...  Terrible figure overall IMO.  Give him a removable hat, a removable hood (or softgoods) and I'm game for that figure.
-Hoth Leia
-SA Hoth Luke (I'd like to see the Saga sculpt sligthly improved upon to include a working holster, maybe damaged and undamaged heads)
-Hoth Rebel Footsoldier (I want this more than the tan-vest Vintage figure personally)
-SA Qui-Gon
-SA Obi-Wan E1
-SA Scout Trooper (New bike, to-scale, would be nice.  Something that's nicely done like Stass Allie's BARC is)
-SA Death Star Trooper (re-use the head/helmet of the POTF2 one even)
-X-Wing Luke (still haven't done this figure justice)
-Snowspeeder Luke
-"Imperial Officer"...  True grey-tuniced Officer.  I'd like Veers w/removable armor, helmet, and hat to be the base for this figure really.
-Red Leader (pack-in blows)
-Klaatu, Nikto, and Barada...  Given the Cantina wave last year, I know these 3 can be done ala their vintage figures and look 100x better than the 3-pack figures looked.
-C-3PO (multiple points of articulation utilizing the articulation socket style that the ROTS figure has...  It can be done)
-ANH Ben (VOTC sorta bites).
-ESB Boba Fett (utilizing VOTC Fett as a basis but with some new "tweaks").
-Bespin Guard (dunno where they got the open jacket from).
-SA Bespin Han (why not?  I like the POTJ figure, and I'd say to even re-use the torso, upper-arms, and headsculpt, but some new lower arms, more articulation, and new articulated legs would be welcome).
-SA Endor Rebel Soldier (same as Hoth Trooper, I'd like a new figure).
-SA Rebel Fleet Trooper (Same as Hoth and Endor).
-Imperial "Technician"...  That POTF2 sculpt is beat.
-AT-ST Driver (see above).
-ANH Luke (VOTC bites).
-Wicket (how about one that's properly sized).
-R2 w/pop-up saber (just a compartment for a hilt, no gimmick).
-R5-D4 (duh).
-Han Stormtrooper
-Luke Stormtrooper
-Chewie w/Chains (VOTC Chewie, just with a removable dog collar...  I'd be content with that).
-SA Snowtrooper

And that's just off the top of my head, and just classic stuff save for E1 Obi and QGJ.  There's a lot of sub-par figures out there that don't "fit" quite as well next to some of the stellar home-runs we got like VOTC Han or the VOTC Stormtrooper.

While I'd put the army builders at the top of my list, especially the rebels (with the Impy's a close 2nd), I can't say that any of those figures would disappoint me if Hasbro put them out and did them justice.

BTW, I think it'd be great if Hasbro would re-release OTC Dagobah Luke but put him out with a set of poseable bare arms for those of us who prefer that.  It'd be nice if at least his arms were a bit "more" than the 2 posed sets.

Resculpt away is my motto though... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2005, 04:09 PM »
I like your list Jesse (of course you know I would) I did notice one that I really think is deserving of a Super Articulated version....

TUSKEN RAIDER!!  I'm not usually a person that clamors for Aliens, but these guys have been in the OT and Prequel enough to deserve the SA...

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 3, 2005, 12:30 PM »
So, where they actually going to make some more of these VOTC in 2006?  Was there ever an official word or just that Swami report at GH several months back? 

Personally I hope they do have some more up their sleeves. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 3, 2005, 03:09 PM »
Count me in on resculpts too...  Figures like Boussh Leia are the kinda things that make me giddy because I think their previous versions are so terrible.  My resculpt list, just off the top of my head, would be like this:

-Nein Numb (reuse Ten's head and make a new hat)
-SA Endor Han Solo (I'd like a removable softgoods coat, but a coat ala Agen Kolar's robe...  Now that'd make EVERYONE happy on that figure I think)
-SA Bespin Luke...  Can't stand the Saga figure at all.  Too pre-posed, not to mention the feature.
-SA Hoth Han Solo...  Terrible figure overall IMO.  Give him a removable hat, a removable hood (or softgoods) and I'm game for that figure.
-Hoth Leia
-SA Hoth Luke (I'd like to see the Saga sculpt sligthly improved upon to include a working holster, maybe damaged and undamaged heads)
-Hoth Rebel Footsoldier (I want this more than the tan-vest Vintage figure personally)
-SA Qui-Gon
-SA Obi-Wan E1
-SA Scout Trooper (New bike, to-scale, would be nice.  Something that's nicely done like Stass Allie's BARC is)
-SA Death Star Trooper (re-use the head/helmet of the POTF2 one even)
-X-Wing Luke (still haven't done this figure justice)
-Snowspeeder Luke
-"Imperial Officer"...  True grey-tuniced Officer.  I'd like Veers w/removable armor, helmet, and hat to be the base for this figure really.
-Red Leader (pack-in blows)
-Klaatu, Nikto, and Barada...  Given the Cantina wave last year, I know these 3 can be done ala their vintage figures and look 100x better than the 3-pack figures looked.
-C-3PO (multiple points of articulation utilizing the articulation socket style that the ROTS figure has...  It can be done)
-ANH Ben (VOTC sorta bites).
-ESB Boba Fett (utilizing VOTC Fett as a basis but with some new "tweaks").
-Bespin Guard (dunno where they got the open jacket from).
-SA Bespin Han (why not?  I like the POTJ figure, and I'd say to even re-use the torso, upper-arms, and headsculpt, but some new lower arms, more articulation, and new articulated legs would be welcome).
-SA Endor Rebel Soldier (same as Hoth Trooper, I'd like a new figure).
-SA Rebel Fleet Trooper (Same as Hoth and Endor).
-Imperial "Technician"...  That POTF2 sculpt is beat.
-AT-ST Driver (see above).
-ANH Luke (VOTC bites).
-Wicket (how about one that's properly sized).
-R2 w/pop-up saber (just a compartment for a hilt, no gimmick).
-R5-D4 (duh).
-Han Stormtrooper
-Luke Stormtrooper
-Chewie w/Chains (VOTC Chewie, just with a removable dog collar...  I'd be content with that).
-SA Snowtrooper

And that's just off the top of my head, and just classic stuff save for E1 Obi and QGJ.  There's a lot of sub-par figures out there that don't "fit" quite as well next to some of the stellar home-runs we got like VOTC Han or the VOTC Stormtrooper.

That's an awsome list! I've been wanting to do this, but haven't had the time.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Soft goods
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2005, 09:56 PM »
ok far with the previews of SAGA figs we haven't seen much in the way of soft goods, but I have come up with MY personal definative preference for Soft Goods. and this seemed like the only place it would fit in withou making a new topic.....

I like Soft Goods if done properly, but also when they are a continuous piece.  An example.....In the Evolutions Packs....ROTS Anakin's Robe with Hood, is a decent Soft Good.  But when they make the "skirt" portion of a tunic soft goods, when the upper part is molded...it really bugs me.  Like Evolutions Count Dooku and Emperor.  But it is ok as part of the Jerkin that AOTC Anakin has on.

That being said...IF we get Han Endor, i want an All Soft goods Trench Coat....or All Soft Goods Poncho on Endor Luke and Leia.....

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2005, 10:49 PM »
Hey moderators....

I actually have a soft goods thread like that in the ROTS forum; moving it over here to the Saga Collection forum might work better than appending discussion to the end of this thread (which is frankly kind of obsolete now that we have an entire forum, but that's another issue entirely)....

Just trying to help. :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:51 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline ROTJLuke

• Youngling
  • Where's the SA Final Duel Jedi Luke?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2005, 07:59 PM »
I think theres a possibility of it comming back. I really want SA versions of the core characters in their various outfits:

DSII/Endor/Carcoon Battle Luke
Endor Han/Leia
Hoth Luke/Han/Leia
Bespin Luke/Han/Leia
Snowspeeder Luke
Qui-Gon
TPM/AOTC Obi Wan
AOTC/ROTS Mace Windu
ROTS/ROTJ Emperor

Etc. You guys get the picture  8)
All I want from you Hasbro is a SA Final Duel Luke. Is that soo much to ask for?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2005, 04:51 AM »
I'm almost convinced it will return, in some fashion.  And I think it will encompass all six films (or at least I hope so.)  And since we don't have enough lists around here, I offer one more:

Darb's super duper dream V - PT / OTC wishlist (all SA):

TPM:

Qui Gon
Obi Wan
Maul
Pre-Senate Padme

AOTC:
Jango
Mace
Dooku
Clone Trooper

ROTS: