Author Topic: Vroom! Jedidefender NASCAR thread  (Read 31930 times)

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Vroom! Jedidefender NASCAR thread
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2007, 09:30 AM »
I thought there was a rule that they couldn't end the race under caution.  Granted, I don't watch a lot of nascar so I'm probably wrong.

The rule is that they will make one attempt at a green flag finish if the caution flag comes out with 2 or more laps to go. Once the white flag has waved for one lap to go, it's over. If, when they restart on a green/white/checkered and the caution comes out at any time during those three laps, it's over and it ends under caution.

This rule started several years ago in the Craftsman Truck series where they never finished under caution. This has since been changed to making only one attempt at a green/white/checkered finish and the other two series have followed right along. Ironically, the very last Truck race before they changed the rule, there was five restarts because of a cautions for wrecks. People were running out of fuel and flipping over on their roofs...it was crazy! I'm guessing that they changed the rule because theoretically, you could have someone wreck at every restart and you would never end the race which is kind of like what happened in that last race. It sure is fun to watch though.

President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2007, 10:11 AM »
Oh, and that football comment was pure unadulterated blasphemy!

;) Yeah, can you tell I don't care about football? I just wish these two sports would never clash like they did yesterday. Don't have something that could possibly spill over into another sports time on TV. We almost never had this problem until ESPN took over race coverage again and I can not stand that channel by the way. I don't want to hear about any other sports when the race is on and I certainly don't want to read about them underneath what I'm watching. What if I recorded something and was waiting until the race was over to watch it and they just gave it away?! I would be very upset. Thankfully, I don't watch any other sport besides racing, so it doesn't matter, but I still don't want to see it. FOX does a much better job at commentating, televising and covering NASCAR racing than any other station. It feels like the new ESPN crew hasn't gone over what they want to say or anything. It's all on the fly and very hard to watch. There have been times that I have actually wanted to mute the channel and just watch the cars in silence.  :P

I guess this just comes from getting spoiled by better stations who have covered NASCAR. Heck, I'd take CBS over today's ESPN. Remember when Mike Joy was running around the pits? Eli Gold, Chris Economaki, Neil Bonnett, Ned Jarrett? Come on!
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2007, 10:12 PM »
Well, that didn't turn out like it needed to. Jeff ended up with a nice 7th place finish, but Jimmie's 1st place finish was a little better than got him within 9 points of Jeff in the standings. Jeff's just going to have to go out and win the next three races so he can be assured of winning his fifth title.  ;D
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Such is the beauty of the Chase.  Under the old points system, Jeff would have a 500-point lead right now, and would have all but clinched the Championship weeks ago.  Now, Jimmie's breathing down his neck.  At least it makes the races exciting.

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2007, 07:45 AM »
Such is the beauty of the Chase.  Under the old points system, Jeff would have a 500-point lead right now, and would have all but clinched the Championship weeks ago.  Now, Jimmie's breathing down his neck.  At least it makes the races exciting.

I know...this thought enters my mind all the time. I keep saying it over and over....Jeff would now have six Championships had they just left the points system alone.  :-\

That's alright though, he'll just go out and win this one the hard way.  :D
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2007, 04:22 PM »
At least it makes the races exciting.

PLEASE don't tell me you think this is the least bit exciting. ???  NASCAR turning a blind eye to its predetermined golden boy(s) and letting them run away with everything?  Anymore, it's about exciting as watching the traffic jams after the race. ::)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2007, 09:31 PM »
Seeing that I'm a Gordon fan, it is exciting to me ... if not a bit unsettling as well.  As I mentioned before, if it wasn't for the Chase format, Jeff would've had this thing wrapped up weeks ago.  How exciting would that have been?  And in what way are they turning a "blind eye" to Johnson and Gordon?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:33 PM by Neal »

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2007, 10:25 PM »
Yeah, they certainly didn't turn a blind eye when they took 100 points away from them a few months ago. It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks though. Hendrick Motorsports is and has been for quite some time, the predominant team in NASCAR Cup series racing and their record shows this. They have the best engines, crew chiefs, drivers, sponsors and equipment. With all those things combined, they better be at the top of the heap or someone isn't doing their job right.

This is going to come down to the last race in Homestead-Miami and it's going to be very exciting if for nothing else, because you have two best friends fighting each other for a Championship. Hopefully Jeff is the one that comes out on top, but either way, Mr. Hendrick wins again which is exactly what everyone has been expecting all year long.
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 1, 2007, 08:17 AM »
And in what way are they turning a "blind eye" to Johnson and Gordon?

Without going into too much detail, my husband has been in NASCAR for over 10 years now and has worked for more than one championship team.  He has spent quite a bit of time in the prerace inspection line -- and while waiting his turn has had plenty of time to see what is going on with other cars and to see what the officials allow certain teams to get away with week in and week out.  It's just the way the business is run.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 4, 2007, 07:56 PM »
Alright ... Jimmie's starting to get on my nerves a bit.
Tracy ... if your husband works in NASCAR, do you think he could sabotage the 48 car next week in Phoenix?
 ;)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 5, 2007, 06:36 AM »
Alright ... Jimmie's starting to get on my nerves a bit.
Tracy ... if your husband works in NASCAR, do you think he could sabotage the 48 car next week in Phoenix?
 ;)

Now that would be cheating, and we all know, there's no "cheating" in NASCAR ;).  Hendrick's shop is a couple of miles up the street from me, maybe I could put something in their water? :-X

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 5, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Hendrick's shop is a couple of miles up the street from me, maybe I could put something in their water? :-X

I'm all for it.  Just leave the 24 alone please.
 :)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 5, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Hendrick's shop is a couple of miles up the street from me, maybe I could put something in their water? :-X

I'm all for it.  Just leave the 24 alone please.
 :)

It's my understanding the 24 and 48 teams are one big, happy family.  Share and share alike!! ;)

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2007, 09:33 PM »
Alright, Jeff qualifed third this week, so he should have a good pit stall for tomorrow's race. He was also real quick in second practice and in Happy Hour, so things are looking good for the #24 team. He's so going to win this thing. It is his...destiny.

8)
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2007, 07:45 PM »
Well, I'd say that Jimmie locked it up tonight.  Even Jeff has conceded victory.  It was a great season for the 24 team.  Under the old points system, he would've clinched his SIX Championship last week, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.