Author Topic: Vroom! Jedidefender NASCAR thread  (Read 31931 times)

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Vroom! Jedidefender NASCAR thread
« Reply #90 on: August 8, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Geez, rough qualifying effort for the #24 team this weekend. Makes you wonder how the #48 got the pole and the #24 is starting 31st on a road course. Hardly seems right.  :-\

Hoping to see Jeff Gordon return to his winning was at Watkins Glen tomorrow afternoon!
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #91 on: August 8, 2009, 02:25 PM »
That's what happens when you have to turn right!   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 8, 2009, 05:02 PM »
I love it when cars turn left and right!  ;D

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 9, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Green flag set for 2:18pm (Eastern). Can't wait!
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 9, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Start of the race delayed due to rain. Track drying has commenced.
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Flipped through the channels waiting for the rain delay to start and I caught ESPNs studio team talking with David Stremme and Kevin Harvick (I think??).  Anyway I think Rusty Wallace asked the two what they thought about racing in the rain (you know like every other motorsport except Drag Racing...).  Anyway, they both thought it wouldn't be so bad except the defoggers the cars have today wouldn't be able to keep the windshield clear and the cars obviously don't have wipers.  Rooster tails might be a problem on the long straights, but speeds would be reduced and they'd have to have different braking points anyway, so that should still be manageable.  I'd love to see them race in the rain, even if its only at the road courses.  That and NASCAR have to get killed by the sponsors contracts every time a race gets pushed to monday (no race = no TV viewers).

Also, during the grid walk, the pit lane reporter talked to Jeff Gordon about his qualifying effort and Jeff essentially blamed himself and said that it was all on him that the qualifying spot wasn't representative of the car.  He's a great spokesman for his sponsors, but also for his team, its great that (right or wrong) he took responsibility for his qualifying spot; not that he'll be there long.
I am not the Stig

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2009, 12:57 AM »
Yes, I'd love to see the Cup series racing in the rain. NASCAR just needs to figure out the logistics of it all and make it happen.

Jeff Gordon and Sam Hornish Jr. had the worst wreck at Watkins Glen I've ever seen today. To top it all off, Stewart won the darn race and broke Jeff's win record at the track.  :-\ Couldn't have gone any worse.
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2009, 10:34 AM »
I'm not sure if I'd like to see stock cars racing in the rain.  With the slick tracks and the lack of traction on the tires, I think things could get rather messy.

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2009, 01:35 PM »
I'm not sure if I'd like to see stock cars racing in the rain.  With the slick tracks and the lack of traction on the tires, I think things could get rather messy.

Neal, did you see the race in Montreal last year for the Nationwide Series? That race was run in the pouring rain and it was fantastic! All the drivers said they had fun and the fans loved it too. It would certainly be entertaining to see who could muscle a heavy car like that around a slick track for 90 laps, that's for sure.
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Neal, did you see the race in Montreal last year for the Nationwide Series?

No, I didn't see it. 
I do agree that it would be fun to see who the "real" drivers are, but still ... the chance of crashes would increase tenfold.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2009, 10:43 AM »
The chances of crashes might increase, but the speeds would be lower, so the severity of crashes would be diminished.  Instead there would be lots of spins under braking and people running off the road (even more than usual).  Formula One races in the rain, and part of the excitement and strategy is when to switch from Dry tires to intermediate wet to extreme wet tires.  Do it at the wrong time and you are stuck with a tire with no traction, or one that is slower than is optimal for conditions.  It absolutely would separate the great drivers from the merely good, but it would also introduce another variable that can really shake a race up.  (IIRC in the 2007 European Grand Prix an 18 year old, in his first race, in the slowest team on the grid, led for a while simply because his team made the best decisions on tire selection).
On top of adding variables to the racing, driving at the scheduled time would have a positive impact on NASCAR's licensing agreements, as they would be able to guarrantee a TV audience for their race.  If you tuned in on Sunday to watch the race from the Glen, you probably ended up watching Golf, or sometihng else, instead of whatever ESPN played in the place of the race (I think it was just a couple analysts interviewing a series of drivers....).
I am not the Stig

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2009, 07:41 PM »
On top of adding variables to the racing, driving at the scheduled time would have a positive impact on NASCAR's licensing agreements, as they would be able to guarrantee a TV audience for their race.  If you

Plus it would help to guarantee that my husband would get home from the track late Sunday eve., as opposed to late Monday. ;) 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2009, 12:35 AM »
On top of adding variables to the racing, driving at the scheduled time would have a positive impact on NASCAR's licensing agreements, as they would be able to guarrantee a TV audience for their race.  If you

Plus it would help to guarantee that my husband would get home from the track late Sunday eve., as opposed to late Monday. ;) 

Tracy, wow...haven't seen you around lately. Everything good?
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2009, 10:30 AM »

Tracy, wow...haven't seen you around lately. Everything good?
Yeah - just busy - my dad has had multiple operations and we've been on vacation and busy with the kids - life, basically  :).
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2009, 02:12 AM »
Heck of a Nationwide race today in Michigan! Brad Keselowski came out of nowhere to steal the win as Kyle Busch and Brian Vickers were battling on the last lap. There aren't many races where the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place cars all dive into turn 1 three wide on the final lap.

Michigan is such a great track. Looking forward to the Cup race.
"Star Wars Is Forever"