Author Topic: Take a Penny, Leave a Penny  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Take a Penny, Leave a Penny
« Reply #15 on: June 1, 2005, 05:01 PM »
$.04 is the most I think I'd go for unless the penney jar had some larger value coin in it (dime, nickle, etc.) which those of course are fair game as well.

To me, you should never take more than the next highest value coin...  So if it's just penney's in there, $.04 is your limit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 1, 2005, 06:58 PM »
I have always thought that anything under a nickel is permissible.

Here's a story for yah....

I once ran the outbound post office services at a college in our town.  We had a penny jar, but not that many people knew about it.  One day a young co-ed came in and needed to mail a letter.  She reached into the penny jar and pulled out 37 cents (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

That was the end of the penny jar.
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Newman

• Youngling
  • Meow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 1, 2005, 08:38 PM »
I think the most I have ever taken was 3 or 4 cents.  Now that I think about it usually when I get pennies back as change I would put them in the jar, but for some reason today I didn't.  :-\

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 1, 2005, 09:56 PM »
I haven't used the penny jar in a while and now usually the cashier would do grap a penny or two to save me/them the hassle of getting a bunch of change. 
On a related topic, reading this thread reminded me of a time I was in a walmart buying something and the only money I had was a roll of dimes.  The cashier was kinda snotty and said they don't take rolled coins...so I smacked the roll on the counter let the dimes spill out an the countrtop and said, Is my money good now?"  The total for what I was buying came to about $4.95, and I waited until I got my change too!

I would of been happy to taken your roll dimes, I hate it when people unload a bunch of change to pay for a large order.  I had a customer who only had loose change for a $15 order or so. 

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 2, 2005, 04:14 AM »
I've never taken more than a couple cents from those things, but I say if you need the change then you got just as much right to as the next guy.
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 2, 2005, 02:12 PM »
I wouldn't feel right taking more than 2. In excess of that, I'll pay the amount outright and leave behind the 1 or 2 pennies I get back. Even if the total was $xx.53, and taking 3 cents would get me back 2 quarters, I'd skip the penny dish because I like to have small change for the parking meter. It's a lousy feeling when a nickel is enough for a quick run to a shop and all I have are quarters.

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 2, 2005, 03:22 PM »
If I see one of those dishes, I usually empty it out, taking all of the pennies for myself...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 03:41 PM »
I was at my local conveinience store for the last time ever today and the lady with the mustache behind the counter gave me my change (after I took 2 pennies).  The change was 80 cents

3 Quarters (1 of which was the new Oregon that I needed for my quarter collection)
1 Nickel

Being excited about the new quarter I dropped the nickel out in the parking lot.  Being one to pick up spilled silver (I'll usually leave copper) I noticed the coin made an odd noise when it hit pavement.

I picked it up and it felt heavier than a nickel should feel.  I flipped it over and there was a second head on it...a two headed nickel.  I'd guess it was someones joke nickel that somehow got by Miss Facial Hair (shocked)

Anyway, two unique coins, all thanks to the TAP/LAP dish

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2005, 05:03 PM »
I took a penny last night when I bought a Gatorade at the gas station after my softball game. First time I've used the TAP/LAP tray in several years.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2005, 05:13 PM »
Screw the dish, I take the jar! ;D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird