Author Topic: Hoth Rebel Soldier Variation???  (Read 2292 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Hoth Rebel Soldier Variation???
« on: March 26, 2003, 11:48 PM »
I think I might have found another variation in the vintage figure line, but this might already be well known.  Thought I would share what I have found here.  Click here to learn more.

dustrho

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Hoth Rebel Soldier Variation???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 02:07 AM »
You are on fire Chris!!!

I've never seen or heard of this variation. I think (and failed to mention this about your Imperial Officer) that we are again dealing with 2 different manufacturing plants. You mentioned smaller type on one of the Officers. Does it say 'TAIWAN' on the smaller type figure? Do the Hoth Rebel Soldiers also have this smaller type face and taiwan? Check it out for me. I am interested to find out. I just finished revamping our Vintage lists and Chris Berry should be getting them up shortly. I think you will be impressed! I did include the general differences in the Officer in there too. I hope that is okay. Sorry I did not ask prior to now. I completely forgot. If it is an issue, I can take them off and will be happy to at least credit you for your help here. I usually decline to cite my sources as I have combined so many. Anyway, let me know about your type and Great Work! If you keep it up, I may be able to reward your awesome detective work in some way...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 01:08 PM »
Tom, thanks for the compliments!  I don't mind you using my work on the list, but what's the link to it so I can see it?  Did you use my pictures or just what I had talked about?

The font size looks to be the same on both of the Hoth Rebel Soldiers, but the paint on the boots and goggle straps are totally different paint colors.  Both figs are in mint condition, so I know it's not wear-and-tear.  I currently own 7 Hoth Rebel Soldiers (have seen MANY more), and I have never seen the greenish tint before.  I've seen that on the Chewbacca & C-3P0 figure before, but never on any other figures.

Again, thanks for the compliments Tom!
dustrho

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 10:05 PM »
Chris has yet to post the Vintage revision lists, so you cannot view them yet. It will be announced on the mainpage when they are put on the site. It is kind of in tribute to our new ally in the Force, www.CloudCity.com. This site needs more Vintage love!

Did you happen to check out the Officers for the type difference? I am amazed the Hoth Soldier differences aren't due to the site of the manufacturer. You are the man. Nice find and keep up the good work. Having SW fans and collectors like you around make a checklist writers job worthwhile!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Billy Boy

• Youngling
  • "Target...MAXIMUM FIREPOWER!"
    • View Profile
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: December 2, 2003, 08:36 AM »
Hi Chris!

I can remember reading your very interesting observations on the Imperial Commander figure... BUT I sadly missed this thread (and your link) on the Rebel Soldier figure?  ???

I honestly adore all vintage variations ...I'd love to know what you actually spotted? = It's always cool to read other collector's 'pointers'! 8)

There are countless numbers of variations to be found 'out there' and I'm slowly attempting to catalogue as much as I can for 'reference material'!  ::)

Here are the Rebel Soldiers I'm currently 'aware of'! =
http://community.webshots.com/photo/86882099/98708093uWutek

= Please excuse the 'fuzzy' pic ...my camera was in need of repair! = I'll take another one soon!  ;)

HERE IT FINALLY IS! = http://community.webshots.com/photo/86882099/114044876mkxIhS

Bill  ::)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 07:14 PM by Billy Boy »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: December 2, 2003, 10:20 PM »
Billy, thanks for writing here!  :)

I had redesigned my website and some of my links have changed.  If you click HERE you'll be able to see the variations I have personally come across.

Hope you enjoy them!   8)
dustrho

Offline Billy Boy

• Youngling
  • "Target...MAXIMUM FIREPOWER!"
    • View Profile
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: December 3, 2003, 07:54 AM »
GREAT DESCRIPTIONS!

= THANKS for the link Chris, I really enjoyed reading your observations!   8)

The Bossk with the paler limbs is known as the 'Orange Faced' variant!

= It was the earliest version found in Kenner Baggies/Mailer Boxes and on early Kenner ESB cards! Hardly any of these 'Orange Faced' Bossks 'crossed the pond' to Europe (originally) either!

ESB figures tend to have the most variations! My favourite Bossk figure can be found on European Tri-logo and RotJ Palitoy cards ...it was manufactured in a slightly 'cheaper' quality plastic and has NO 'Hong Kong' on the back of the leg! =

http://community.webshots.com/photo/83783151/83852083gjsAAf

Bill   :)