Author Topic: Anyone collect other 1970s & 80s toy lines?  (Read 19281 times)

Offline 10incher

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Action Figure Archive
Anyone collect other 1970s & 80s toy lines?
« on: June 2, 2005, 11:09 AM »
Anyone into any other 70s & 80s toy lines other than Star wars? I collect a ton of lines including Transformers, GI Joes, He-Man, Thundercats, Blackstar, Shogun Warriors, Megos, Power Lords, Sectaurs, Robotech, Voltron, Crystar Silverhawks and others. I have a whole room full of these figures (along with my Star Wars stuff). I will have to take some pics one day and post them.

I am not sure if I can post this link (so moderaters please edit it out if need be). Anyone interested in discussing, buying, selling & trading other 70s & 80s figure lines check out the Action Figure Archive Forums. Feel free to sign up, post and meet other collectors of 70s & 80s toys.
Visit www.action-figures.ca the 70s & 80s action figure guide, online store & forums. Discuss, buy, sell & trade vintage figures.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Anyone collect other 1970s & 80s toy lines?
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2005, 05:52 PM »
Well I used to collect:

MOTU
ThunderCats
Silver Hawks
Tiger Sharks
Super Friends
Secret Wars
Ninja Turtles

Those were the main ones.

I used to also buy:

Transformers
Captain Power
G.I. Joe
Voltron
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 2, 2005, 07:53 PM »
I have a fairly hefty Starcom collection.  Not sure if you're familiar with that line or not 10", but it was one of the most innovative toy lines (IMO) of the 1980's.

Incredibly structred and realistic too, and even had a cartoon series that lasted a little while (very good too).  I've bowed out of the hobby for a while...  It's relatively inexpensive to collect though, and unless you're going for the rarer stuff (European releases and such) then it's pretty easy to obtain a "complete" U.S./Canada collection.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2005, 01:46 AM »
I did the big ones: Transformers, GI Joe, MOTU, TMNT, and Star Wars. I had a few Super Powers and Secret Wars figures, but it was usually the villains from those lines-- Dr. Doom, Darkseid, and Brainiac.

I had most of the MOTU figures and I beat the living snot out of them. Good thing they were durable. After that, it was GI Joe and TMNT. GI Joe went all wacky in 1990, and that's when I got into TMNT hardcore, like every other nine-year-old. My brothers were into it too, and they stayed in after I got out, when those Turtles that looked like Trolls showed up.

[/ramble]
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline 10incher

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Action Figure Archive
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Is your Starcom collection loose or MOC? If it is loose (and complete), I would love to feature pictures of the figures on my Website. PM or email if you are interested.
Visit www.action-figures.ca the 70s & 80s action figure guide, online store & forums. Discuss, buy, sell & trade vintage figures.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2005, 10:49 AM »
I have a fairly hefty Starcom collection.  Not sure if you're familiar with that line or not 10", but it was one of the most innovative toy lines (IMO) of the 1980's.

Wow, how did I not catch this before?

I guess that makes two of us here who loved this line.  The little magnets on the feet were great!

My collection isn't anywhere near complete, but that's because I haven't really tried to finish it up (I've got just about all the Starcom stuff, missing a few bad-guy ships).

I think this is the only "StarCom" site I know of...
http://www.nemesisworld.com/starcom

Maybe we'll have to compare notes sometime, Jesse!   ;)

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2005, 03:11 PM »
Mostly 70’s lines- Matchbox M.A.C. and Fighting Furies, Mego 8”… a bit of Micronauts. Lots of Japanese diecast stuff- Popy, Bullmark, etc.
A set of Dune figures would be choice but clear bubbles are bloody difficult to find, so far I only have Sting with his Cornish Rex… or was it a Sphinx?
Used to have a set of Raiders and Super P’s but sold them for I is the Idiot King.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 4, 2005, 10:46 PM »
I collect Space 1999 related stuff and anything to do with Gerry Anderson. Most of his stuff goes back to the 60's.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2005, 10:31 AM »
Growing up:

Star Wars
MOTU
M.A.S.K.
Transformers
GI Joe

Sprinkling of:

Super Powers
Secret Wars
Voltron
Robotech

These days, I have a full run of Vintage SW through POTF, most of the MOTU figures I had (not much past 1986) and most of the M.A.S.K. stuff

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 6, 2005, 02:08 AM »
I collect damn near anything I can get my hands on. ;D BUt for some reason I can never finish off my collections. I've got every Super Powers figure except Tyr, and the Riddler. Ive got the majority of the M.A.S.K. Line save for the Split seconds jet and the Laser tag Truck.  And so on. My closet reads like a laundry list of incomplete. *0's toy lines. Whats really sad is if you can name any line no matter how obscure it might be. Ive probably got at least one figure lying around. I guess its God's way of telling me I have too much free time. ;D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Bringing this thread back up from the grave.

My next best thing to SW is my Space 1999 collection, over the years I have picked up more stuff from model kits, diecasts, production casts & such.

This is a pic from back in 2004, I have much more not pictured.

I have been after the Mattel Eagle 1 Spaceship MISB for over 10 years, I have one loose & complete (as seen in the pic below the Moon Base Alpha playset posted above), but a MISB has eluded me for a good price. I have seen them go for $800. to around the $3000. US mark in that 10 year span. Well last week I acquired one on eBay & man was I stoked.  ;D

Yesterday, my grail arrived in the mail.   8)

All said & done, this grail piece cost me $335. US shipped.  ;D

Anyone else still collect 70's & 80's stuff?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I'm not going back and buying much vintage, but I do still have some carded Aliens & Robin Hood figs if anyone is interested in those....
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 10:16 AM »
I had/have Black hole and Buck Rogers figures. Used to have several Mego Star Trek figures too. I look at them all occasionally on e-bay. Might pick up missing pieces some day if this whole Star wars thing winds down.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 3, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Wasn't sure where to ask this and didn't want to start it's own thread: Does anyone have a Friar Tuck from the 1991 Kevin Costner "Robin Hood" movie toy line in with their Jabba's palace themed stuff? It looks like since they used the Gamorrean Guard body for him he'd fit in quite nicely without his robe on. Just a random thought I thought someone might have some insight into. Thanks
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: June 3, 2014, 02:35 PM »
He doesn't have much paint iirc so he looks slightly out of place IMO but with robes he sorta fits in as just an oddly built human being which there seem to be a few sprinkled around the movies anyway.  Like near humans sort of.

The other RH guys are just big enough to annoy you that they're basically useless. :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77