Author Topic: Jeff's Custom Star Wars Figures  (Read 11078 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Jeff's Mos Eisley Cantina Aliens
« Reply #15 on: June 4, 2005, 12:17 AM »
Man, it's been a loooong time since I posted in this thread...  how about an update?   ;)

Sai'torr Kal Fas (Saurin Droid Trader):
dead image link removed

I had to do something with my PotF2 Bossk after I got the Saga one, so I combined him with a little paint and an $2 Ep1 Clearance Rune Haako. 

I still need to try to find a nice color match for paint for his hands, just haven't had time to mix up a batch of paint yet to do it.   :-\

I gave him a drinking glass made from one of my favorite customs tricks - it's a push-pin with the pin pulled out.  Without the little metal pin, those push-pin make pretty nifty glasses.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:48 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 4, 2005, 12:21 AM »
Indeed a nice job Jeff (and nice to see more of your customs).  May not be movie accurate, but who cares.   ;)

That's a good idea for a body for a Trandoshan/Saurin... I hope you haven't patented your idea, because I'm gonna "borrow" it.

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: June 4, 2005, 12:31 AM »
That's a good idea for a body for a Trandoshan/Saurin... I hope you haven't patented your idea, because I'm gonna "borrow" it.

Go ahead!  That's half the fun of these forums, sharing ideas and gaining inspiration for each other's work!

I really like the way it turned out.  Like you said, maybe not 100% movie-accurate, but since you hardly notice them in the movie, I'm not too worried about it.   ;)

ps.
I merged all 3 of my threads into this one to help keep things nice and tidy...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:32 AM by Jeff »

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff's Custom Figures
« Reply #18 on: June 4, 2005, 01:14 AM »
Looks good.  The combination of the head with the scaly-looking robes is perfect.  The pushpin glass idea is brilliant!  I'd been toying with the idea of sculpting glasses and cups - but pushpins it will be!

B

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #19 on: June 5, 2005, 05:54 PM »
That looks really good.  I'd maybe try to use the Bossk hands or give him 3 scaly fingers, but really, that's just a minor detail. 
If you wanted to match the head color to the hands, why not repaint him a new color?  Who says Trandoshans have to be green?
Great idea for drinking cups, I never thought of that but I see it works perfectly!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 5, 2005, 05:58 PM »
That looks really good.  I'd maybe try to use the Bossk hands or give him 3 scaly fingers, but really, that's just a minor detail. 
If you wanted to match the head color to the hands, why not repaint him a new color?  Who says Trandoshans have to be green?
Great idea for drinking cups, I never thought of that but I see it works perfectly!

Ah, but he's a saurin, not a trandoshan, so his fingers are anatomically correct (I think)!

Online Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: June 5, 2005, 09:44 PM »
Jeff they all look great! I really like the Saurin as well, simple but it looks really good. The thumbtack was genius. I may have to take that idea. :) I was thinking of a way to make it even better: use a clear thumbtack and dremmel it out so that it is hoolow like a glass and then you can fill it with superglue mixed with dye (if that can be done) or just use glass paint and paint the inside so it looks like there is liqiud in there.
"This is the way."

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 5, 2005, 10:19 PM »

Ah, but he's a saurin, not a trandoshan, so his fingers are anatomically correct (I think)!

I see, I didn't realize Saurin was the species. :-[
Even better job then!  ;D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 01:36 AM »
Time for my monthly update (a bit delayed thanks to a busy schedule):

First up, a simple custom - a pair of Ewoks!

dead image link removed

Wuta and Tamat here were pretty easy to do (they're just repaints) but they fill out my Ewok tribe nicely until Hasbro gives me some more ewoks!

Wuta is a nice tan paint on Wicket body with a PotF2 Wicket spear and a vinty ewok bag.  Tamat is a nice dark brown paint job with the drum set from the Saga Accessory kit and a re-painted PotF2 Wicket hood.

Next up, a couple goons to fill out my Jabba's Palace Diorama!

dead image link removed

Again, more chop-n-swap and/or repainting of existing stuff (as I suck ass at sculpty :().

Gariff (Kubaz Skiff Guard) is composed of PotF2 Nikto Skiff Guard (body) and PotF2 Garindan (head and hands).  A bit of re-painting to get the hands/gloves to color match, but not much else as I really liked the colors as they were.  Gives it a standard uni feel to the garage crew at Jabba's.

Last, but not least, is 5-LOM5-LOM is an old worn $1 vinty "Zuckuss" (aka 4-LOM) that was completely re-painted.  He's an accounting droid who was assigned to Ree-Yees, but unbeknowns to the Gran he's secretly a spy droid for Jabba.  ;)

I'm a little disappointed with the picture.  I tried to do a nice "rusty" paint dry-brush wash to make the droid look used/abused/rusted, but it isn't showing up too well on the black colors.  If you look close at the larger picture, you can kinda make it out the "dripping oil streaks" on his torso though.   :-\

Hopefully I can keep the monthly updates running - I should have 2 more to show in August: AT-AT Commander and Imperial Shield Technician (both WiP).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:49 PM by Jeff »

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 01:55 AM »
Nice!  I like the big grin on Tamat.  I think it would be cool to give Wuta a hood (or maybe an animal hat like Logray or Teebo), ewoks look too "naked" to me without a hood  ;)  Of course, that's just something I have to deal with... :P

I really like that Kubaz Skiff Guard - very cool.  I like that you kept the colors on the body the same as the original figure.  The only thing that I would think to do with him is maybe repaint the hood to match the rest of the figure (some sort of yellow or tan). 
5-LOM is nice!  I always wanted an accounting droid....

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 07:35 AM »
Nice stuff Jeff. I love how people's work (like yours) have personality.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2005, 10:04 PM »
In September?  How about some Rebel Pilots!

Time for my monthly update!  Again, simple head-swaps with minor painting to spiffy up the flightsuits, heads and helmets.  First up, the aliens:

dead image link removed

From L to R:

Gand Pilot - Simple as can be, Zuckuss head plus Biggs body.

Snivvian Pilot - Takeel Head (repainted) plus Jek Body (slightly repainted highlights)

Quarren Pilot - Vintage Squid head plus Biggs Body.  I also took the Squid hands off the vintage figure and added them to the Biggs body (I used metal pins so they are articulated), then painted them black to match the gloves.  :)

And of course, some humans:

dead image link removed

From L to R:

Pilot #1 - Jurassic Park Head, Biggs Body, Jek Helmet.  Hair was painted Black, Helmet a Nice Dark Green to contrast Wedge's Olive Green paint scheme.

Pilot #2 - CW Jedi Head, Biggs Body, Luke Helmet.  I gave this guy a brown drywash to hiighlight his hair a bit, then gave the helmet a quick royal blue paint job.

Pilot #3 - Mace Head,  CS Wedge Body, CS Wedge Helmet.  Added some new eyebrows and a goatee to the Mace head and now he looks a LOT like Capt. Sisko (DS9)!  Also added a nice Dk Blue paint job to the helmet.

Once again, simple customs can be fun!  It's not intricate detail/sculpy work, but it's a quick way to build up my Rebel Pilot squad!  Hope you enjoy them as much as I did making them!   :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:49 PM by Jeff »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff's Custom Figures - Updated 9/17
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2005, 10:10 PM »
They all look really good Jeff.  I do prefer the Dutch Vander body now to the older sculpts, but I do have to say that all of those look nice.  My favorite is the blonde human pilot from the Jedi.  It looks just like a Rebel pilot to me from ANH.

Good use of the Porkins body too for the Snivvian.

:P

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2005, 01:51 AM »
IMO....there are not enough modern X-Wing Pilot customs. I think Allston or Stackpole need to write some more novels. Then it'll pick up again. :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 01:51 AM by Jediknight760071 »

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2005, 11:29 AM »
Those pilots look great!  I really like the alien pilots, that squidhead pilot is my favorite  8)