Author Topic: ROTS DVD Nov 1st  (Read 25916 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: ROTS DVD Nov 1st
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2005, 05:14 PM »
I was right: ROTS will be on DVD only.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6251599.html

"Star Wars will be the first major new release to skip VHS, some say a move that is unsurprising because of its heavy DVD audience.

Distribution sources said recent Star Wars releases have seen heavy VHS returns from retailers unable to sell off the tapes. LucasFilm and Fox declined to comment other than to confirm that there would be no VHS version."

Follow the link for more.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 05:16 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2005, 11:35 PM »
I can't say that it doesn't surprise me that ROTS will be only on DVD.  I really don't think that it will hurt their sales that much.
I also have to say that of everything coming out the DVD is the one thing I am the most excited about getting! That will be an awesome day!
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2005, 12:14 PM »
I'll definatly have to pick this up, along with BF2. Anyone know of any BestBuy promos for the DVD?

Offline Firebat

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2005, 03:08 PM »
Cool!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 7, 2005, 04:56 PM »
I didn't know if this would be the right thread for it, but while in Target today, there was an television ad on the "internal" system advertising the ROTS DVD.  It was a brief commercial spot, with clips from the film and various critic quotes about how great the movie was, and ended with a shot of the DVD cover and the November 1st street date.

The coolest thing was that Target was playing this on a new selection of widescreen LCD televisions, and boy it looked beautiful.  I can't wait to get the DVD home that day.  It's going to look amazing.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 7, 2005, 05:24 PM »
Target kicks ass!   ;)

Seriously though, I was going to wait til Christmas to get the DVD, but who can wait that long?

Who's going to buy it at Wallyworld just to get the bonus disc?

SilverZ

« Reply #36 on: October 7, 2005, 06:20 PM »
I've been told my order will be shipping at the end of next week (a US disc via the UK), so I'm locked into a copy of the disc already and will probably have to pick the disc up again at Walmart just for the bonus. Which isn't pleasant, but I need to be there on DVD anyway to grab the 3 3-pack sets. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 7, 2005, 09:15 PM »
I'll be opting for the bonus at Wallyworld.  They've been doing it with other discs like Robots and Cinderella as well.  Best price and a bonus disc, the devil has drawn me in.

Incidentally, today was the last day that ROTS played at the cheap theater so it's officially out of play at the moment.  Not a bad run, ending just three weeks prior to the DVD being out.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 7, 2005, 09:59 PM »
Yeah, it really did last a long time as far as movies run nowadays.  Yes, I think Wal-Mart so far has the best DVD extra going. 

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 7, 2005, 11:37 PM »
So what do we have so far outside of Wal-Mart for DVD bonuses?  The only other thing I've seen mentioned is the Unleashed Vader at Best Buy.   ???

I'm debating on whether or not I will buy it at Wal-Mart.  The more I think about it, the more I think that the disc will be an edited-together version of the Threepio/Artoo shorts I mentioned earlier, with maybe some other film clips mixed in, interviews with the actors, and so forth.  Since the movie is the most important thing to me, I'll buy it wherever I see it first, bonus item or not.

I think the bonus situation stands the risk of getting out of hand, not just with SW, but with other DVDs too.  I'm dreading the day when studios start to intentionally hold material back from the DVD itself to include on a retailer exclusive bonus disc, and every retailer has their own individual disc as a bonus.  I mean, what if when Episode I came out, it was only a single disc, and Target had a bonus disc with the trailers and TV spots; Wal-Mart had a bonus disc with the web docs; and Best Buy had a disc with the "Beginning" documentary?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2005, 01:43 PM »
I think you're right DP. 

You know the bonus disc at WM will be cheesy - nothing but edited shots of Luke / Anakin from both the PT and OT with some shots of R2 and 3PO (doing the commentary) thrown in for good measure.

Is the Unleashed Vader free at Best Buy?  I doubt that it is - that'd be one helluva deal!

:o

I think I'll pass on the three figure sets (minus the clonies of course).  I bought the OT sets just because the packaging kicked ass - if memory serves me correctly, this time around the figures are blister carded.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2005, 09:02 PM »
Well that is the thing for me.  I do not have an allegiance to a particular store when it comes to buying the movie.  It's the same movie wherever you buy it.  Ultimately I will try to find the lowest price.  However, a little goodie with it depending on what it is could sway me to that particular store.  If nobody else is going to offer anything extra with the DVD except Wal-Mart's item then I may as well go to Wal-Mart and pick the DVD up with that freebie.  It's not hurting me any since they will likely have one of the lowest prices as well if not the lowest.  If the item turns out to be crap than so what?  It was free anyway. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Well, the WM bonus disc isn't really a freebie.

ROTS with the bonus disc is $23 at Wal-Mart.  But you can buy the movie only at Wal-Mart for $16.

I think I'm going to save $7....

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2005, 02:08 AM »
I'm going to have to be at WM to get those 3-packs (since I'm a sucker like that, plus I don't want to wait for Target or Best Buy to open in the morning) and I figure I might just go for broke and get the exclusive set.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2005, 02:34 PM »
If you have Hyperspace, the Official Site now has a trailer up for the DVD.  Kind of neat, and definitely makes me want to see it again.  It seems so long ago now, I think the middle of July was the last time I saw it.  Looking forward to the 1st.