Author Topic: Favorite Vintage Playset(s)?  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Favorite Vintage Playset(s)?
« on: June 7, 2005, 03:11 PM »
To me, the playsets were one of the coolest parts of the vintage line.  Some were terrible inaccurate and underscale, but back then, it didn't matter.  Although I didn't really have many myself (aside from the Jabba the Hutt playset), a friend of mine basically had all of them, and they sure were fun.  I'm still working on getting the complete, loose figure set (undecided on vehicles, since many POTF2 ones are the same mold...and vintage can be expensive)....but I'd like to eventually get a couple of playsets as well.  Of the playsets from the vintage days, which were your favorites?  The Death Star is an obvious choice I think, and probably my favorite overall just because of the size and different features of it.  I was also a fan of the Dagobah set, and as much as some people seem to dislike the Ewoks, the Ewok Village playset was pretty neat to me as a kid ;).  What are some of your favorites?

Offline Andy_R

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Vintage Playset(s)?
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2005, 03:57 PM »
As a kid I really liked the Ewok Village.  There's so much you can do with that!  The trapping net was sweet. 
I also loved the Dagobah set.  Many bad guys met their fate in the "quick sand that led to the underworld" AKA the mud. :)

As a collector I think the coolest sets are the ones that came bundled with figures, like the Cantina Adventure set and the Cloud City Play set.
When I was a kid I always looked at playset/vehicle boxes and wished they came with the figures pictured on the box.   I guess that's why I like them.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #2 on: June 8, 2005, 12:33 AM »
My favorite playset has always been the Turret & Probot set. I don't exactly know why, other than I have a lot of fond memories playing with that set. I always took it with me when I would goto my grandma's house so I'd have something to play with. It was a fun set, you could have Rebels man the gun tower and turn the turret to hear the cool clicking noise. You could have the probot get knocked around by Han. And it held a lot of figures, it's always going to be one of my fave toys. I had my childhood playset for years, but lost all the pieces and at some point the base got tossed in the trash. I was excited several years ago to get the set again, though I think now I'd like to get the box for it to really round it out.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2005, 12:49 PM »
Death Star all the way for me baby! I loved taking it apart in battle damage scenarios and rebuilding it. Also always wanted more than one to make a bigger base. I recenly bought a second, but don't have the room to connect them yet.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Dagobah playset for me, I always loved it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 03:45 AM »
The Ewok Village.

It doesn't have any parts left. Even the fire is missing.

I had a lot of fun with it, though. I used it as an Imperial base and as a Cobra base mostly, because I didn't have the Death Star or Cobra Terror Drome. And I had more bad guys than Ewoks.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 07:30 AM »
Dagobah, it was the only one we ever had.
I always wanted a Death Star, but it never happened.
I still have what is left of Dagobah, but pretty much just the shell at this point.
Until we got Dagobah, our favorite playset was our Sandbox, aka, Tattooine  :P
Adam

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 10:36 AM »
Of the three playsets I had when I was a kid (Land of the Jawas, Droid Factory and Star Destroyer), I think I played with the Star Destroyer most. It had Darth Vader's meditation chamber, which was cool. However, I remember playing with the escape pod from the Land of the Jawas quite a bit. Droid Factory was fun, too. R2 with a third leg, and all. Heck, they were all fun.  ;)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 05:35 PM »
As a kid, my favorite to play with were the Hoth sets.  I had a cousin that had a Death Star, but it was pretty stripped down and I only saw it once.

However, a few months ago my wife and I were at a train store and I went to the back where they had a bunch of vintage trains and other toys.  I stumbled across a death star, but far from complete.  I've traded with the owner before, but kind of thought he was an ass so I didn't really want to give him any cash.  I mentioned to my wife I had always wanted one but never had one.

Next week is our anniversary.  Earlier this month a box arrived and she put it in the garage.  I caught her on google with a list of stuff pulled up that happened to be SW.  I'm guessing she managed to find a DS for me.  She did tell me it wasn't cheap what I got.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 10:50 PM »
First, great topic!

Well, I have steered clear from playsets for the most part because I have no good way to display them.  Don't chastise me for saying the following.

I have an office / collection room that is 10 feet by 12 feet.  I just cannot get myself to fully make it a Star Wars Room.  It's just personal preference to make the room overwhelming with Star Wars stuff thus I never went after playsets.

Now that I am finished with my "100" I may start, who knows I could have a change of heart.

I agree with Chris M the Death Star Playset is the one playset with the most sentimental memories associated to me.  Every year we persuaded my dad to let us open one package on Christmas Eve.  One year I went for the biggest present, low and behold it was the Death Start Playset :) ;) :D ;D 8) :-*!  I remember opening it at about 11:00 PM and completing it and playing with it until about 12:30 AM.  I feel asleep on the floor next to my playset, fond memories.

DBK

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 2, 2005, 12:23 AM »
The Death Star.  One of my friends had it and we played with it so much it fell apart.  But we enjoyed the Hell out of it.  The Land of the Jawas is my favorite playset out of the ones I owned.  The elevator on the Sandcrawler and the escape pod were the best parts IMO.  I also liked the Turret/Probot set and the Hoth Imperial bunker set even though we would use it as a Rebel base.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 4, 2005, 01:28 PM »
Imperial Attack Base, purely for sentimental reasons- it was the first SW non-figure toy I ever got, my dad bought it for my birthday a few months after we’d immigrated to Canada. Our family didn’t have a lot of surplus cash so it was mighty nice of him to get me anything, let alone a playset.
 I love the Death Star though, I’ve never owned it but I sure wanted it bad when I was a kid.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 5, 2005, 11:54 PM »
I like the MICRO hoth playset. the one with the minimetal figures.

I have the figures, but not the set.  ALAS
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 10:48 PM »
Death Star Playset for me. You can't beat yellow, gray and blue foam garbage and an elevator that you can "freefall" to crush unsuspecting stormtroopers underneath. ;D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Mike Mensinger

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Like CorranHorn, I also immensely enjoyed the Turret & Probot playset as a child. I remember particularly like the removability of the turret's top piece. Sometimes I utilized it as a small ship...it served that purpose well considering the presence of the gun at the front and circular ship-like nature.

-Mike