Author Topic: Gaming System Recommendations?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Gaming System Recommendations?
« on: November 4, 2015, 12:18 PM »
I need the advice from some gaming experts on what new gaming system to get for the family.

I've got a hand me down original Wii that the kids use from time to time.  Based on feedback it doesn't sound like getting a Wii U is a good option if I want to continue to play these games.  It seems like it makes more sense just to keep the legacy Wii and keep using that in parallel with whatever new system I get.

My kids are 8, 6, and 6.  I'm most interested in the new Star Wars Disney Infinities game, and more younger kid oriented games.  I'm not a gamer myself.  Ideally this is a system that would last a good handful of years, but I don't foresee this being the system they use extensively for teenager/adult games.

Thoughts on the best/cheapest system?  Should I buy new or pick up a used system?  I want this for Christmas, but was wondering if there is a best time to get the best deals - e.g. Black Friday.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming System Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2015, 01:19 PM »
I don't have much advice about what would be best for your family, but I love my Xbox One.

Also, Nintendo is working on something new - not sure when it's going to come out (certainly not before Christmas) but allegedly it's going to be great.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2015, 01:47 PM »
There are plenty of kids games out there.  The LEGO games are a lot of fun, and they're typically pretty cheap when they've been out for a while.

The Playstation 4 has dominated this "generation" of console sales - almost doubling sales of both the Xbox One and WII-U.  So if you're concerned about longevity and software support, typically the best-selling console has the best record on that front.

If you're a Sam's Club member, they have a deal on Saturday Nov 14th only for a PS4 + 1 game for $299.  That's likely the best deal you'll see before Black Friday.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/102305/20151103/sam-s-club-to-offer-playstation-4-with-one-free-game-for-only-299-on-nov-14.htm
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2015, 07:37 PM »
I'd wait it out, look around at sales and see what's what.

The PS4 is a good system, and the X-Box One is a good system.  I'd say the things like controller feel, exclusive games (this is getting fewer and fewer though, but obviously some games are still exclusive to a system), and features each system provide. 

I've got the X-Box One and was pleased I made the purchase at the time, but was even happier when they announced they were putting through Backwards Compatibility to play 360 games (select ones, library will expand as time goes on).  If you didn't own a 360 though, obviously that matters a lot less to you I'd think.

It's all in the details really, as to what you prefer Dave.  I wish I had more time to game, and of late I've had a difficult time gaming at all because of my eyes and things, but I still rip into my first game for it (Titanfall) any time I can, and Battlefront looks pretty cool for any console...  If not a tad frustrating (as all FPS's have become, lol.  hell to get old).  I'd imagine there are some good deals on consoles coming this holiday like Bill linked you to.  I got one on the One last year on Black Friday-Monday.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Is anyone aware of any differences as it relates to Star Wars Disney Infinities?  Or are they essentially the same on all consoles?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2015, 12:38 PM »
They run smoother on current gen than they do on last gen.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2015, 08:58 PM »
I couldn't have even told you that, haha.  My gf's kids are too old.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2015, 02:43 PM »
Is anyone aware of any differences as it relates to Star Wars Disney Infinities?  Or are they essentially the same on all consoles?

I think that stuff is pretty standard these days, so you're getting pretty much the same product no matter what system you're playing on.  There are some games that are specific to the platform, meaning you can't play them without that console.  Games like Final Fantasy are only on PS, while I think Halo & Titanfall are XBox only.  My kids are still too young for any of that, but if you're thinking of eventually targeting one of those exclusive  titles that might help sway your decision. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2015, 10:04 PM »
We ended up getting a PS4 to replace our Wii.  My sons are 10 and 11 and they have really enjoyed playing the new console.  But aside from the Lego games and Infinity, there really aren't too many other titles for them other than sports or shooting games.  They are pretty content playing Infinity, MLB, Minecraft and Lego though.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!