Author Topic: KB 9-pack Exclusive w/ Silver Vader  (Read 19247 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: KB 9-pack Exclusive w/ Silver Vader
« Reply #15 on: June 9, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Definitely looks like a mock up - this had the potential to be a cool set...could have made it a Sith vs. Jedi kind of theme or something along those lines.

Let's think about this for a sec okay?  If you want to sell a ****load of these things, do something along the lines of the trooper Evo set.

Throw in an exclusive SA Blue clone (raid on the temple), kit bashed Vader, Obi Wan with cloth cloak, Ani with cloth cloak, Palpy, plain white #41 clone, Greivous, Yoda (soft goods), & a red royal guard.

Throwing a bunch of figures into a box and painting one of them just doesn't make much sense to me...but this is coming from the company who can't keep clone troopers on the pegs...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: June 9, 2005, 02:14 PM »
anyone think these will be "shelf sitters"?

Self shitters, more like.  As in, I just shat myself realizing Hasbro/KB just earned another $100+ of my money on some more rehashed horse****.  God, I really need to take the jump, and get some OCD meds so I can lay off of crap like this...

But hey, at least it looks like they're sticking a red Royal Guard in there, so that makes 2 of the 9 worth it...  ::)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: June 9, 2005, 02:17 PM »
BTW, that's not the ROTS Vader, is it?  That looks more like the Throne Room (saber throwing) Vader from the Saga/OTC line.  Yes?  Or maybe I just haven't looked at my ROTS Vader close enough, but his pose and cape seemed to be more neutral than that, IIRC...
« Last Edit: June 9, 2005, 02:18 PM by JediMAC »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 9, 2005, 02:19 PM »
Quite possibly - I think you're right.

I think it's time you joined the Dark side JM, and just collect loose - it will allow you more money and less frustration....but you already know that!

:-X

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: June 9, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Yeah, I definitely already know that alright, but unless I get those OCD meds, no can do Travis.  I've been a packaged and loose completist Hasbro's bitch for almost a decade, so there's no stopping now!  ::)

Also, is that just the packaging's artwork behind the figures, or is it some big type of figure stand/display base?  I can't tell...

I think I figured out a way for me to soften the blow on this one, at least as far as some of the loose figures go.  I've been meaning to pick up some extra Jedi and Seperatist figures for my AOTC Arena diorama that I plan to put together soon (since I don't usually buy extras of Prequel figures beyond just the usual two), so I can at least use the Dooku, Luminara, Kit, and Ki-Adi for that.  I'm fine with the exclusive Vader figure too.  I'm cool with the Royal Guard (since that's essentially an OT army builder there, and VHTF one at that), and I won't even mind having an extra 3PO since that'll work in some OT dioramas nicely as well.

So I guess the only figures I'm really gonna waste some money on are the Bail and Palpy.  I do like the packaged look there too.  It kinda reminds me of the much smaller POTJ set that was exclusive to Mexico.  It's a unique display of the figures that we don't usually get, and with the attractive window box and all, I can almost sorta stomach this thing.  Almost.

Still sucks though!  :P
« Last Edit: June 9, 2005, 02:32 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #20 on: June 9, 2005, 02:52 PM »
Things that make you want to go "Hmm..."   ::)  I don't think the line is selling so poorly they already have to dangle pegwarmers at Kb with the prospect of the Red Guard and yet another silver Vader, but who knows.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 9, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Still sucks though!  :P

Agreed.

Like Matt - this will cost me $100 just to have an open Silver Vader #3 - BTW - I revise my original guess, it is definitely a Throne Room Vader in there.

Anyway, this set is just plain stupid.

To someone who wants to give a kid a collection "starter" the Silver Vader is sorta like, "What the f**k, why isn't my Vader black?" and to the regular collector it's "I gotta get all these other f**king figures again AND pay $50 just to get ANOTHER Silver Vader?!"

Whoever at Hasbro sold them this sh*t earns Salesman/woman of the year IMHO.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 9, 2005, 03:52 PM »
It's times like this that I really enjoy being the casual collector that I am - meaning I buy what I like and pass on the things I don't!

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: June 9, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Agreed ruiner, I feel bad for all the rest of you guys though, this is crap >:(

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 9, 2005, 04:35 PM »
BTW, that's not the ROTS Vader, is it?  That looks more like the Throne Room (saber throwing) Vader from the Saga/OTC line.  Yes?  Or maybe I just haven't looked at my ROTS Vader close enough, but his pose and cape seemed to be more neutral than that

It certainly looks that way to me as well, Matt.  The thing that makes me suspect it is definitely the Saga TR Duel Vader is the way the right arm is in the photograph.  It looks articulated and it looks very loose (just like the TR Duel Vader), but regardless of what it is based on, as Groundskeeper Willie would say, IT'S SHITE!

Since this is a preorder, I wonder if the figs in this set will be the pegwarmers that are sent back  in a few months??? Kind of like KB did with the SAGA 4-packs a while back.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if that were the case.  If you think about it, all of those figures, with the exception of the ERG and the (gag) Silver Vader are very easily found and some of them (Palpatine, Bail, and Fisto) are essentially pegwarmers right now.  The thing that cracks me up is that not only is KB going to charge more than everyone else for their own figures, but it's essentially a two pack of those 9.99 Saga four packs of pegwarmers with a ninth figure that was probably done by some high school shop students with a can of Krylon.  :D

Is it any wonder why KayBee is closing so many stores?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 9, 2005, 04:40 PM »
Yup, KB just broke me of my completist needs.  What a bizarre collection of figures.   ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 9, 2005, 04:52 PM »
I'm cool with the Royal Guard (since that's essentially an OT army builder there, and VHTF one at that),

This is off topic, but what a dramatic difference between the US and Canada.  I could go out and pick up 10 red guards today with no problem at all.  They're just sitting on the pegs.  I've seen so many I left 2 US carded versions on the pegs for other folks when I was in Fargo.  Naturally we've received no blue guards up here, at all, so I again say thanks to pmundheim for firing a couple my way. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #27 on: June 9, 2005, 05:24 PM »
To someone who wants to give a kid a collection "starter" the Silver Vader is sorta like, "What the f**k, why isn't my Vader black?" and to the regular collector it's "I gotta get all these other f**king figures again AND pay $50 just to get ANOTHER Silver Vader?!"

Precisely!
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #28 on: June 9, 2005, 06:47 PM »
You know what I was thinking?  What if all of the non-Vader figures are random, like the KB four packs during SAGA?

But, yeah, this is a piece of garbage.  I think it would at least be good for kids if it was all major players and a proper Vader.  But as it is, it's nonsense.

I'm glad I broke my completist ways a while ago.  It was the Saga Force Flippers  that did it for me.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 9, 2005, 11:32 PM »
You know what I was thinking?  What if all of the non-Vader figures are random, like the KB four packs during SAGA?

That's a very good point, and I started to think that it would be very possible.  But the packaging is actually labelled with the characters names, so they're unlikely to be randomly packed.

But based on the characters they put in the set, you'd think these 8 were randomly picked by KB/Hasbro.  How else could they come up with such a strange combination?   ::)