Author Topic: Happy for the "Slow Down"?  (Read 9005 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Happy for the "Slow Down"?
« on: June 10, 2005, 11:48 AM »
Although I do really enjoy seeing Star Wars all over the place, and really having a nice prominent place in the toy aisles right now, I think I'm kind of enjoying/looking forward to the "slow down" that seems to be starting now.  Having 44 (or more, depending on area) figures out within two months time, along with all the vehicles, beasts, Unleashed, Galactic Heroes, BK Toys, etc. etc. etc. was a little overwhelming at times, at least for me.  It seems that now things will be going back to a normal "Star Wars collecting" pace.  Our local Wal-Mart has now cut its Star Wars aisle in half, with Fantastic Four taking up the rest of the space for now.  They are also cramming as much as they can into the "regular" space in the action figure aisle, so I think the transition to going back to that space is slowly coming.  That could be a bad thing though, because they really seem to have the same figures hanging there for the most part now (Tarfful, Ki Adi, Mas, Polis, Luminara, SBD, Clone Pilot, etc.) and I'm afraid that the later waves are going to be tougher to find.  You never know though, because this stuff really has been selling well here (and elsewhere, from the way it sounds).

Like I said, I guess I kind of feel bad saying this, but I (and my wallet) sort of welcome the slow down right now.  Just out looking for the Tarkin wave, and those Target glasses if they show, and otherwise I'm pretty well caught up.  I'm just hoping waves like Tarkin's, the Mustafar Anakin, etc. aren't going to be impossible to find now.  It is funny though, looking at both Target and Wal-Mart now, I don't think there is a basic figure of Obi-Wan, Anakin, Chewie, Padme, 3PO, R2, or Vader to be found.  In fact, quite a few of the original 24-32 figures are all gone now, aside from Tarfful, SBD, and the background Jedi.  I never would have guessed that, to be honest with you.  Is anyone else happy for the slow down, or am I just being a terrible Star Wars fan for thinking that way?  Don't get me wrong, more/new stuff is always better, I guess I just felt a little overwhelmed the last couple of months...through no one's fault but my own really ;).

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Re: Happy for the "Slow Down"?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 11:53 AM »
My wallet and I are both happy to have things calm down for a while. I did some serious reorginizing of my toy room last night, and was amazed at the amount of stuff I've added in the last three months. As cool as it is to see SW stuff everywhere, it's nice to not have a ton of stuff to be on the lookout for right now. If I could just find the Tarkin wave, I'd be set!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 12:19 PM »
I do have the Tarkin wave, but am thankful as hell that things seem to be slowing down.  I am broke as a joke because of this, and have spent well over $2000.00 since April 2.  I don't make enough money to justify that.   I will try to spend the rest of the summer recovering from the insane amount of money I spent already.  Just need a few more figures (thankfully no more main trooper builders are coming out for a while) and the Evolution sets and Wookiee copter, and I think I'm set for a while.

:P

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 04:19 PM »
Oh, without a doubt I'm happy.  The vast majority (95%) of the stuff I've gotten in the last two months was planned out well in advance (I'd actually had something of a "ROTS Fund" set aside in my bank account for about a year), but that fund is almost completely dry and I'm very grateful for a break from the constant deluge of figures these last two months.

I still think that the massive amount of figures available in the first month's release was a little ridiculous (by way of comparison, Episode I had 50 figures total by the eight month mark, and Episode II/Saga had 56 total its first eight months, and we've gotten close to that in 2 months), so I kind of look at it the way I do gas prices right now.  You're so used to them charging 2.40 a gallon that when they go down to 2.25, you actually think you're getting a deal, despite the fact that it is almost double what it was last year at this time.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 04:36 PM »
While I too am looking forward to a slowdown, it's been lots of fun actually finding new stuff on a regular basis.  I am very worried that the "hunt" is going to become pointless again.

In 2003, I didn't find a single figure from January until June (Padme Factory and others).  I certainly don't want things that slow again.  Ever.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Happy? Surely.

I don't have the money to go on a 2-month buying blitz like you guys. I've been taking my time on ROTS figures because I counted on them lingering for years like Episodes I and II, thus they would be easy to pick up at my leisure. (I'm surprised at how fast most of this stuff is moving.)

I'm glad for the break so I'll have half a chance to get caught up.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 04:57 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 07:11 PM »
That last 2 1/2 months have been a blast, but it's almost dizzying how much money I've been spending.  So a little slow down will be nice to catch my breath and figure out if everything is actually going to fit in my display room. 

I have a feeling this will be a chance to make some tough decisions and decide which lines I absolutely need to collect, and others that can be left by the wayside.  It could be a mental war.   ;)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 08:34 PM »
I'm happy as well, but I'm not sure how much of one we'll get. Those colored clone 3-packs seem like they're going to be a pain to track down i.e. time and gas money, and some of the other stuff coming out soon is a bit pricey i.e the evolution sets. I'd like a more definate lull like the month before 4/2. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 08:52 PM »
I can echo everybody else's sentiments: It's been fun. And punishing!

I've spent so damned much on this junk... I really need a slow-down, but I'm not sure how slow it's going to be yet. I'm still hunting the current wave; still want some released items I haven't yet bought (including the pricey 12" Anakin/Vader); Evolution are coming, and I want the clone set (thank God I don't want any others so far!); still owe 20 bucks on an Early Bird layaway; I'd also really like to try to get that RAH 12" Vader :-[ ; and I'd like to see the movie a couple times in digital. :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Although I definitely can't complain about the number of items we've seen here in the first couple months, I think...at least around here...we might be starting to hit that little "lull" we often get with Star Wars merchandise.  The pegs are pretty full at all the stores, and for the most part they are full of later waves (lots of Polis, Mas, Clone Pilots, Neimodian/Wookiee Warriors, Bails, etc.)  Basically, for the most part the figures that are now on the pegs, I don't see going anywhere.  The earlier stuff (Anakin, Obi, Chewie, Yoda, Clones, Vader, etc.) are pretty much all cleaned up, leaving only the figures that looked like pegwarmers on the initial lists remaining for the most part.  We still haven't seen anything past Deluxe 1 here really either, although I was able to get the ones I wanted via Amazon.  Aside from the Target cups (found all but Boba), it has been a bit of a slow down around here, which seems to happen in every movie year.  My wallet will appreciate the slow down, and like I said, I'm not complaining necessarily because we've seen so much stuff here off the bat...but I wouldn't mind finding Tarkin and his buddies, or even the Anakin/Bacara/R2 wave that is apprently starting to show up now.  How are things looking in your area?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 03:22 PM »
Seems to me that the "slow down" has just sped up (at least a bit) with the following items starting to show up in decent quantities -

- Crab Droid
- Stass Alie
- Clone 3-pk
- Tarkin
- Meena Tills
- Ask Aak
- Bacara
- R2D2
- Mustafar Anakin

Of those, I do have at least one of each (except R2D2, don't need this one again)... and want multiples of most of them for army-building/customizing.

Then, we have some more army-builders on tap to be out in July...

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 03:31 PM »
well since I didn't buy every little thing that came out april 2, and I've mainly colelcted clone troopes, plus a few characters for my son, I don't mind the slow down as long as stuff doesn't disappear.  The only other figures that have been released I want eventually are padme, bail organna, palpatine in the dark gray outfit, and maybe grevious' wheel bike or the droid tri-fighter.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 09:53 AM »
spaced things out with ROTS...  Skipping lots of Collection 1 (It's sold surprisingly well but still everythign is obtainable for retail or less if you look), and waiting on lots of things in general helped me out by simply spacing out my spending...  I did that and it's worked well for me.

I've managed to pick up things here and there...  I just got Bail the other day, for instance, and that's been a help...  I've spaced out some of my army building too with what actually "sits" like Clone Pilots, Wookiee Warriors (Preview one, however it's sold better since the movie hit so I missed out some on it), and the Neimodian...  The Jedi I spaced out as well but now I have them all.

Sales paid off then when prices DID drop a little after 4/2...  The slowdown was ok, but I was buying all along, just not buying lots at any one time.

Now though I'm behind...  I am way behind on Deluxe figures which I don't like to be behind on...  I want that Vader w/Table SO bad but never find it.  Never seen a Crab Droid.  Vulture Droids aren't common at all...  It's a rough situation there.  Another slowdown may be nice to help me get caught up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Seems to me that the "slow down" has just sped up (at least a bit) with the following items starting to show up in decent quantities -

This is what I was checking in to say. The begining of the month we had the Tarkin wave, now the Bacara wave broke and in between they released all of the clone three packs.  Now the 500 Vader is hitting, that's a lot of dough. When and if this slowdown occurs, please shot me with a tranquelizer so I don't miss it. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 12:06 PM »
I think I'm ready for a few new things, like the Evolution sets... but having the other stuff slow down (please!) is helping my wallet a bit.  Still, I'm broke somehow!