Author Topic: Master Replicas Force FX Lightsabers  (Read 84681 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Master Replicas Force FX Lightsabers
« Reply #15 on: May 9, 2003, 04:19 PM »
I sure will Matt.  I think you need to take a vacation after all this working.
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2003, 08:15 PM »
It has arrived.  ;D

WARNING:  Let me first warn you about something.  The instruction manual was pretty good in telling you how to remove part of the hilt so you could put the batteries in, but it left out one important notice.  Do NOT tighten the hilt all the way, because you'll have the HARDEST time trying to loosen it.  You do not have to tighten it all the way... just tighten it almost all the way so those recessed lines match up.  It took me 20 minutes to loosen the thing because I tightened it too much.

I must say that I am very impressed with this.  Sometime in the near future I will take a videoclip of myself playing around with this.  It is cool and well worth the $89.
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2003, 08:53 PM »
Matt, so what do you think about your new lightsaber?  I still haven't heard your take on it.
dustrho

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2003, 09:22 PM »
Matt, so what do you think about your new lightsaber?  I still haven't heard your take on it.

Really wish I could tell you Chris...

But it's unfortunately still sitting untouched in the box on our floor behind the table.  Haven't been home before midnight in over a week, so I still haven't even taken a peek at it yet.   >:(  And yes, that includes working the entire past weekend as well (aside from a brief 2 hour jaunt to Mother's Day brunch with the family)...  16+ hours a day at the office ain't fun, lemme tell ya'!   :-X

Maybe tonight though, as I'm determined to leave the office early to catch the Laker game (which is in about 15 minutes)!  ::fingers crossed::
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 09:24 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2003, 03:03 AM »
Well, after chatting with a buddy who's already opened his Anakin saber up and given it a whirl, he convinced me to get off my lazy butt now that I've got a little free time, and do the same with mine!  Of course, this guy, who shall remain nameless (by his bidding/begging), has already taken out a large overhead light fixture from the ceiling of his master bedroom with his out of control lightsaber wielding Jedi antics, so I at least knew to keep my lightsaber slashing to a cautious minimum...   ;D  The good news is that his lightsaber withstood the battle with the light fixture, so at least we know the thing is pretty durable!   8)

SO...  I finally got mine out.  It's very cool looking - totally authentic...  Everything I've ever wanted since I was 7 years old.  A real lightsaber!  (practically)   Though I've yet to see a comparison shot with the standard (more expensive) MR lightsaber hilt, I'm guessing this one is just a tiny bit bigger, to hold the electronic effects and batteries.  Not noticeable at all really (at least to me).  The blade is made of a very sturdy polycarbonate-something rather, and is just the right length - right around 3 feet.  The blade itself is also just clear until it's ignited, at which time it turns blue.  The hilt is a foot, so we're talking a whopping 4 feet in total with this thing!  Some good girth to it as well.  Nice and weighty, for a very real feel to it...

I threw the batteries in, closed it up, and IGNITION!!!   Bzzzzz....  WOW!  It's really quite a beautiful thing when lit up!  Damned authentic looking.  Of course I had all the lights turned off and cautiously swung it around a few times.  I'm a real Jedi at this point!  No, seriously - I am.  Now where the hell is that sissy-a$$ Darth Maul at?!  I'm ready to give him a big piece of a real Jedi Master in action, 'cause I'm one BAD MF with my new lightsaber!!!

Unfortunately, I don't have a couple huge mirrors in my bedroom like my buddy did, to admire my handy work with this thing, but I'm sure my wife would tell you how adept I was with it!  Comes from years of reviewing tape, I'd imagine!

But... (there's always a but, isn't there?) then I noticed that the sounds effects that go with the "waving/slashing" of the saber seemed to be going off a little more than they should be, like when I wasn't moving the saber at all, so I was mildly concerned about that.  Even moreso when I glanced at the manual and saw that it was supposed to make several "contact sound effects" when struck against something - which mine didn't do at all...  (BTW, the speaker for the sound effects is nicely hidden at the very base of the hilt)

Then we went from bad to worse when I tried to turn it off.  It wouldn't turn off.  Though the lever was moved to the off position, it stayed fully lit and kept humming...  Uh-oh, Master Replicas - we have a problem...  I let it sit on the floor while it was still on, but in the off position, and finally, about 20 minutes later, the thing went Bzzzzz again and shut down.  So I pulled the hilt apart and checked the battery placement (6 brand new AA Duracell batteries I bought today).  Everything looked perfectly fine.  Closed it back up to see if my battery rattling might've fixed anything.

Flipped the switch back on and... NOTHING.  Uh-oh.  Really big problem now.  I'm quickly becoming a very disenchanted Jedi at this point!  I'm now considering a turn to the Dark Side, for sure.  On, off, on off.  Still nothing.  Finally turned it on, and just let it sit there.  And again, about 20 minutes later, Bzzzzz - the thing comes back to life.  Very strange.  Still wouldn't shut off again, and the other couple sound effect problems were still present.  So, after all was said and done, I had some fun with this brilliant looking collectible, but it unfortunately looks like I got a dud.  Bad electronics in mine apparently.  The box it was shipped in looked perfect (no outward damage), and I was very careful while gently swinging it around, so it's just the random malfunctioning saber I guess I got stuck with...   :'(

So now I've got to go through the entire hassle of returning it and exchanging it (hopefully) for another one.  Scored mine through KB.com, so I guess it's finally time to see how their customer service is I guess...

But aside from the malfunctioning electronics in my particular lightsaber, I've gotta say that this is one AWESOME piece of Star Wars memorabilia!  I'm sure I'll get a fully functioning one soon, and it will be even better.  But as it is, I would still HIGHLY recommend to anyone out there who's always wanted a realistic, life-like lightsaber to pick this bad boy up.  It's freaking beautiful!  Especially if you can still score one for the relatively affordable prices that they've been going for (as mentioned earlier in this thread).

Greatly looking forward to the Vader FX version that's on it's way soon as well!  Hopefully Master Replicas makes them all, just like with the regular hilts.  At the very least, I need a purple Mace and green Jedi Luke version as well!  Now the question is, what the hell should I do with my complete set of pathetic garbage Hasbro lightsabers now...?   :-[
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 04:13 AM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2003, 03:23 AM »
OK, just got back from another Jedi Master butt kicking session with my lightsaber!  This time I took it out in the yard (in the middle of the night) and got medieval on some imaginary Sith.  Killed every last one of them, I did!  I LOVE this thing.  I tell ya', it's a REAL lightsaber, aside from the fact that is doesn't actually go through stuff.

Despite the on/off and sound effects problems with mine, just swinging it around in the dark, listening to it hum, watching the blue saber whirl gracefully through the dark...  It's the next best thing to actually being in the movies, or having the movies be "real life".  Take your pick.

I think this is my absolute favorite Star Wars collectible that I own now.  Too bad I still have to exchange it for one that works right...   :-\

So get off your duffs, and go buy yourselves one of these things, all you Jedi wannabes out there!!  Or if you're a Sith wannabe - wait for the Vader version due out soon.  I definitely say that either one is well worth the price tag...   8)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2003, 12:23 PM »
Hey Matt, I was having somewhat similar problems to what you were experiening.  One thing that would happen is that I would turn it off and the lighting effect would turn off.  But the humming sounds would keep going and going.  That was weird, but I was amused by it.  That only happened a couple times with me, but I haven't had a problem with just turning the thing off.

I bought mine directly through Master Replicas... not through KB Toys.

The wooshing sound when you move it does happen more frequently than it should, but that's going to happen.  It has a motion sensor detector where you see the 6 tiny bubbles on the hilt (they don't light up).  If your hand is on it it's going to make that sound all the time.  If you move your hand away from that, and hold the hilt differently it doesn't happen that much anymore.

So, whoever didn't get this you can STILL get this for only $89 at Master Replicas!  They have extended the sale price until June 16.  Click here to order one now!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 05:55 PM by dustrho »
dustrho

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2003, 03:23 PM »
 Now the question is, what the hell should I do with my complete set of pathetic garbage Hasbro lightsabers now...?   :-[

Good question.  I too have the Anakin one that has the sound effects and the wisdom of previous Jedi Masters ( I never did play with it enough to become one myself) along with the others...now what?  I was thinking of giving one to each nephew (as they left the house of course ;) ) but I'm pretty sure my sisters would remind them to bring them back and play with them here!! :-\.

It's interesting to hear about the electronics in everyone sabers as I think everyone has had a flaw or two (or more) in their sabers.  I was always wondering if Vader was pushed back to fix the "quirks" that were found in Anakins.  
Beth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2003, 11:50 PM »
So now I've got to go through the entire hassle of returning it and exchanging it (hopefully) for another one.  Scored mine through KB.com, so I guess it's finally time to see how their customer service is I guess...

Well, I decided to return my lightsaber directly back to Master Replicas under their warranty, since I knew they'd be able to replace it with another, whereas it looked like KB was out of stock on them.  So...

I called MR almost a month ago, and they immediately provided me with a FedEx label that I could just print out and use to return the saber to them on their shipping dime.  So big bonus points there.  Of course, I'm still left to actually handle the delivery to FedEx, which took me all the way up 'til just last week due to my abhorent laziness.  So I finally got the thing over to FedEx last Thursday (5 days ago).  Guess what arrived at my office today?  Yep, my replacement saber has already arrived!  Now that's good service!  Granted, I think it came from MR's office right here in L.A. (where I shipped mine to), so that might somewhat explain the speedy return.  Very good nonetheless.  Still have to take it home and give it a whirl though...

So does anyone else's Anakin saber make the four different "contact" sound effects (when you hit it against something) that are mentioned in the brochure?  'Cause my old one didn't, and Jim (chuckles) said his doesn't either.  Chris R., any input on yours?

I'll let you know how my new one checks out tonight, after I open up another can of Sith whoopass in the yard with it!   8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2003, 01:05 AM »
Watch out for those treacherous light fixtures ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2003, 08:37 PM »
Watch out for those treacherous light fixtures ;)

I've already defeated one so our home is now safe.  ;D

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2003, 11:57 PM »
Chris R., any input on yours?

You know, I'm not really sure how many sound effects happen after hitting it on something.  There are supposed to be four different sounds?  I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted.
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2003, 11:10 AM »
You know, I'm not really sure how many sound effects happen after hitting it on something.  There are supposed to be four different sounds?  I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted.

I tried it out (finally) and mine does in fact have four different sounds when you hit it against something.  
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2003, 11:13 AM »
I just received an email from Master Replicas saying that this is no longer in stock.  I don't think they'll be making any more of those, at least not anytime soon with all the new products out they'll have to sell first.
dustrho

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2003, 09:24 PM »
As many of you know I am a big fan of replicas. I have a vast Lightsaber Collection. I just acquired the Master Replicas FX Lightsabers: Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, and Darth Vader to add to my collection.

I have to say that these electronic, lightup, decor replicas are very neat.
When activated the lightsaber blade glows and makes lightsaber sounds.

The Anakin and Luke FX lightsabers must of been designed before the FX Darth Vader Lightsaber. When the Anakin and Luke Lightsabers are activated the blade just turns on. When the Darth Vader FX Lightsaber is activated the light in the blade actually travels up from the hilt to the end as shown in the Star Wars movies. Which I think is a neat little added feature to the FX series of Lightsabers.

Does anyone else here have the FX Lightsaber? What do you think of them? I say that they are a must for any fan of prop recreations.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com