Author Topic: Quality Walker Custom  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Quality Walker Custom
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:03 AM »
This custom got brought to my attention, and it's by a guy nicked "PsychoCloneTrooper".  Not sure he's a member here but I'm guessing he isn't.

Anyway, I liked this a lot, it's one of the more interesting vehicles I've seen of late and I thought a thread for it was in order...  The parts useage is great, and inexpensive really (if you can bare tearing up an AT-RT).  I would've used a vintage AT-ST's legs myself, and actually this guy's walker has me inspired to try something myself along these lines since the parts are so readily available.  It's one of those things you wish you'd thought of when you see it I think. :)

I love a good ship, especially something that sits well with figures (modern) and looks believable.   It seems to me that PsychoClone did some extra detail work to the whole thing and a spiffy paintjob.

I think I'd have opened the "viewport" some, or at least made a clear viewport for it, but I could easily see opening viewport armor like on the AT-ST for this vehicle.  The single-mounted flexible cannon is great.

Someone noted it being an AT-PT which it isn't, but it'd be in a similar class...  Perhaps a different weapon mounted, but definitely not an AT-PT and the creator noted it wasn't as well.

I like it though, love it really and thought it's more than worth talking about here too.  Here's pics and a link to his site with recipe:

http://users.aol.com/psyclonetrooper/assaultmech.html

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 02:04 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Quality Walker Custom
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Well that is definitely one of the best customs (figure or vehicle) that I've ever seen.  That's a fantastic use of the vintage mini rig for the "head" and combining the AT-RT legs with it.  And the painting is not notch.  Wow!

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 06:11 PM »
I think vintage AT-ST legs would've been a better choice.  Set it up higher and it'd put it at somewhere between RT/PT height and the AT-ST's actual height (since the vinty's so underscaled).

Not sure I like the whole armament it has...  Seems cluttered for something so small, but that's just a minor gripe.  I would've instead swapped out some random weapons on the front that are home-made I think and left the sides clear, or perhaps even made the side the hatch (since it's so short) ala the AT-PT's hatch.

Still, I agree with you CHEWIE, it's a really nice piece, and it's a great example of parts use to produce something completely believable in SW.  Looks very cool.  I'm now hell-bent on making something from the inspiration I got out of this little bugger. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 10:23 PM »
Holy crap!  I agree with CHEWIE - this is one of the best customs that I have ever seen.  It's so simple in concept but it looks so cool upon execution!
I think I like the use of the AT-RT's legs more than I would have the AT-ST legs. 
The paint job is pretty slick too. 
Somebody should invite this guy over here, he would make a great addition to this community!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:19 AM »
Very nice work on this mechanized monster. I wish I had the patience to make such things. I like how it appears to have rocket launchers housed in the "vent" intake areas. That's way too cool how it lights up!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 10:44 PM »
He updated with pics of it with AT-ST legs -

Personally I like both versions... I would love to have something like this, but at the very least it has convinced me that I need to repaint my AT-RT's and AT-ST's.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 12:22 AM »
The AT-ST legs look like an improvement to me because this puts it as another class of walker really.  Between the AT-PT (Or RT, which I personally view their history as the PT being a vast improvement/replacement for the RT chronologically) and the AT-ST.  A fire support walker, enclosed, capable of damaging a small piece of armor and infantry but not capable of taking on the "big boys".  Stable, small, speedy...  Don't put it head-to-head with the Alliance's best armor and you've got a winner vehicle.

I'm definitely intrigued with the concept and the parts.  This is easily something I kick myself for not thinking of. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 10:12 AM »
I always thought that this mini rig was very similar to the "head" of an AT-ST, even when I was a kid.  If I can score the parts cheap, I might go ahead and try something like this.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 01:34 PM »
It looks cool using the AT-ST legs, but I really like the original version, I think it's perfect.  Vehicle customs like this are awesome!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.