Author Topic: So many clones...how about a Mix and Match Clone Pack?  (Read 3029 times)

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
So many clones...how about a Mix and Match Clone Pack?
« on: June 13, 2005, 05:57 PM »
OK I'm impatient because I know Hasbro will continue to make different types of clones but with all the new Clone Troopers in EP III why doesn't Hasbro just all of my money by releasing an "accessory pack" for clones.  Now I don't mean just stuff for them to hold or cloaks to wear although that would work too, but I mean stickers, helmet variations, scuba gear.  All sorts of stuff was in the movie and if they made something half as good as I just described (and if it worked i.e., if it fit the figures well) the would sell so many that Ebay's stock would probably go up due to heavy scalping.

Hasbro apparently knows we kill for clones but it doesn't seem like they "really" get it because so many figures sit on the shelves but I'm willing to bet that most if not all clones will never warm the pegs.

Blake

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: So many clones...how about a Mix and Match Clone Pack?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 06:34 PM »

Hasbro apparently knows we kill for clones but it doesn't seem like they "really" get it because so many figures sit on the shelves but I'm willing to bet that most if not all clones will never warm the pegs.

Blake

Need some EIII clone pilots?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 08:18 PM »
Oh shut it Dressel...you know what he meant. ;)

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 08:57 PM »
I sit corrected. :-[  The clone pilot is probably the worst trooper type figure that has come out in a long time.   However, make one w/o the "fat" body and a removeable helmet and it's time to start gabbin bunches of that one too.   The ATOC clone pilot was pretty cool but the stance was weird.  If they released that again with a decent body I'd be lining up the that one too. 

Blake

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 09:03 PM »
The clone pilot is probably the worst trooper type figure that has come out in a long time.

Hmmm, I don't agree.

The sculpt's great...  It's really dead-on accurate.  The helmet would be nice if it were removable (I'd take that over the laser tower, though the tower's neat itself), but I don't think that was the kind of thing that was making or breaking the Clone Pilot's popularity.

Pilots just don't have the huge appeal that "troops" do I think.  The figure's good, and I think you'll see the Clone Pilots dissipate over time...  He just fell prey to the pilot curse where they're fun figures but sell slightly slower than a basic Clone will.  The TIE Pilot resculpt was the same way, as was Gold Leader, and the AOTC Clone Pilot (which I even think was a rather poor army builder overall).  He'll sell though, just slowly. 

I'm already noticing them slowly trickling away, but still easy to find right now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Even though I think it's the worst trooper I've seen in a while it's still a trooper.  I have two and I'm starting to pick it up again in the store and walk around for a while before putting it back before I leave.  I guess I'll have to buy at least one more.  I can't even explain it.  Why do I need another one?!?!  I'm fine with two but....I...can't ...help...it.....

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 10:09 PM »
It's a sickness.  I have 10 of the Clone Pilots opened.  Do I need 10 of them?  No.  I also think about buying 3-4 more each time I see them.

:P

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 11:11 AM »
It's a sickness.  I have 10 of the Clone Pilots opened.  Do I need 10 of them? 

:P

Depends, you need tree for every Arc 170 and two for every gunship. :P

RE: the clone situation, you know, I think Hasbro may have been caught off guard. They designed and planned their clones for the first 56, but Lucas may have added the colors before Hasbro could have done anything about it. Let's see what the next twelve have in store.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Well, from the Making Of stuff it's clear he planned all the colors from the start.  After AOTC, Hasbro had to know what demand there would be for all the color variants, and to not have any out there right now is about as stupefying as packing the #41 Clone one per case.  Ok.  So maybe they don't know.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 08:48 PM »
I think the clone pilot could have been a lot better.  But I'm still gonna buy like 10 when they go on sale/clearance.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 11:49 PM »
Short of a removable helmet and a mad increase in ball/socket joints (for true super articulation), I think the Clone Pilot's actually a vastly superior figure to a lot of "troopers" we've seen lately... 

Saga Hoth Trooper would be the biggest stinker in a LONG time, and reigning champ for worst army builder in the modern line (rivaled only by the POTF2 RFT really IMO). 

The Saga/OTC TIE Pilot though, for instance, is an overall inferior figure to the Clone Pilot I think...  The one arm only articulation, the articulated arm being sorta minimal poseability...  I like the figure, don't get me wrong, but to me the Clone Pilot is miles above the TIE Pilot just because he's sporting enough articulation for multiple great poses, while the TIE Pilot's kind of limited.

I feel the Saga Clone Pilot's inferior to the ROTS Clone Pilot also.  The goofy stance kills the Saga Clone Pilot, not to mention a complete lack of articulation (at least "useful" articulation).  Blah.

I will say though, I agree wholehearted that a removable helmet Clone would've been great.  It could've been done, and I'd take that over the odd laser tower accessory and whatever the hell that black thing he came with was...  The pistol made sense, that other stuff just seemed odd...  If he'd had the removable helmet AND that other stuff though, then that's just gravy!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 03:42 AM »
I think a removable helmet on the ROTS Clone Pilot would have made a world of difference. It's the only thing I really think was missed on the figure and there's little reason, aside from blowing the plastic budget on that giant radar thing, that it couldn't have been done. It's unfortunate that he's seemingly pegwarming now, hurting the chance for a revisit.

I'm not a fan of the Saga TIE Pilot sculpt, actually. I don't like that it's based on that lone costume shot where the person in the suit is obviously a foot shorter than intended. Its silly looking. I'd like a new one.

And I totally agree with the AOTC Clone Pilot. His awkward stance ruins the figure... which was my favorite clone design in the movie. It would be a simple figure to redo now just by making a new ballsocket headsculpt and slamming it on an SA clone body.

So, there are three pilot figures that I think need a serious revamp. Maybe Hasbro could do a second Clone Evolutions set. AOTC Clone Pilot ---> ROTS Clone Pilot ---> TIE Pilot.  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 03:45 AM by Tydirium »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 10:12 AM »
From the waist down, I think that the ROTS Clone Pilot is a great figure and I'd actually go so far as to say that from the elbows down he's a great figure.  The problem with the figure (from my perspective) is in the upper torso and head, which has very little useful articulation (none of the three pilots I have can even move their heads even a fraction of an inch) and what articulation it does have (shoulders) is difficult to utilize. 

The shoulder articulation being the traditional (at least for SW) cut joint instead of a ball joint makes the elbow articulation very awkward because the arms are stuck pressed against his sides.  While this is useful in him piloting the Gunship, the wider cockpit(s) of the ARC-170 would benefit from having a pilot who could "stretch" his arms to the controls on either side instead of just holding them straight ahead and flopping around when you happen to do a barrel roll.  (Not that I would do anything like that mind you  ;D )

There's no excuse for the head though, which in my eyes is a step way backward to the quality of the POTF2 X-Wing Luke of 1995 in terms of detailing.  They could have very easily solved the head articulation problem by slapping the head of the AT-TE Gunner on the Pilot, make a removable helmet, and be done with it.  The thing that is getting me is that Hasbro told us all last year how they didn't have time to deal with new toys for that year's line (OTC) for the most part because they were so busy developing the ROTS line, and now they're putting out several toys that are based on pre-production artwork and missing the boat on the Clone color variants, even though they, according to their own words, spent ALL LAST YEAR developing the ROTS line and would have had plenty of time to make the necessary changes.

Making the Episode I Boss Nass so short or keeping the Geonosian Warrior in Saga without his pants are understandable, but with the proven sales records of Clones in various colors and knowing a full year in advance that there would be multiple colors of Clones (and having photos of them to go by) and not taking advantage of that?  Something is a bit fishy, I think, or at the very least it's a huge  ::) .

It could've been done, and I'd take that over the odd laser tower accessory and whatever the hell that black thing he came with was

As much as I agree with you on the uselessness of that tower (HAY GUYS, LET'S USE AN OLD MOLD FOR NO REASON!) accessory to begin with, that huge arm does have a purpose (albeit a really sketchy one).  The "claw" end of the arm has a small peg on the bottom of one of the claws that plugs into a small hole on the base (in that little slot) on the radar dish column.  So, it's kind of a remote trigger for the dish that doesn't actually work, if you will. 

Of course, this is all assumption on my part, but it's the only place that I could figure it would go after looking at the thing for the past few months.  Hasbro just keeps on skimping on actually telling how this stuff works (I'm still trying to figure out what the base with R2-D2 "does" and what purpose the column with Jedi Kick Obi-Wan has).  And I'm sure those of you who were actually able to find the Unleashed Aurra Sing at retail remember how much fun THAT base was to put together, even going by Hasbro's "wonderfully detailed" instructions.