Author Topic: The Custom Alliance - News and Updates  (Read 33023 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: THE GUY WHO RUNS THE CUSTOM ALLIANCE SUCKS!
« Reply #45 on: October 5, 2007, 12:54 AM »
Have you tried Obi_Robz?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: October 5, 2007, 01:04 AM »
JOT,

Dan Curto runs the Custom Alliance...  Dan's always maintained that he just doesn't have much time to dedicate to it since he's busy at Scum of course, and at the new site he helped launch for other toy lines...  I can sort of understand his plight since it's time-consuming to deal with it actually.  Definitely further ahead to whip up your own site I think, than to rely on the hosting...  It's gotta be a headache when you've got new stuff to show off, and to wait for someone else to upload/update I'm sure.

On a separate note, I'm gonna move this to customizing since, well, it's a customizing topic ultimately. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 5, 2007, 01:10 AM »
Personally, I like Curto.  ::) He has my respect for doing all he can for the community on top of maintaining a life outside the hobby. When I started customizing I looked up to him a great deal and I still do today. If I ever get back into photonoveling or customizing, he'll be one of the first people I send my work to.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 5, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Dan is a good friend of mine. He says he really doesn't have much time to make the updates CA needs due to family, work and his Rebelscum duties. We've talked about letting someone else take over the site or even making it self service. It's just a matter of finding the time to make it self service or finding someone to take it over. I've volunteered to take over the site a few times. Maybe something will come of it. Maybe it won't. I think it would be great addition to the UGP. Of course, I've still got to finish and publish the new UGP site I'm working on.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #49 on: October 5, 2007, 12:03 PM »
I was under the impression that Dan does not run the site and has not for a long time. From what I read he is a nice guy. My title may have been too harsh. So I will change the title to better express my frustration. Me and several other customizers are send photos and they never get posted. And the constant hiatus.

I understand life is busy, we all know that. But for the sites sake I think the torch of the site should be passed on. I have no web knowledge or I would give it a shot.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: THE CUSTOM ALLIANCE ***UPDATES*** SUCKS! Pass the torch!
« Reply #50 on: October 5, 2007, 02:44 PM »
The updates are definitely slow, but like others said, it's because Curto basically handles everything for RS these days and CTR.  But, I'd like to see him add a couple of staff members to TCU - it needs it.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #51 on: October 5, 2007, 03:03 PM »
I've harped on this before as well....

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=14278.msg268536#msg268536

I'm actually to the point where I've accepted the pace at which we get updates..its still laughable to me recalling curto saying its not like we ask you to submit...then being called on the banner reading "join the alliance" in bold print...

but yeah i really don't get why he can't just give it to the fans....

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: October 5, 2007, 05:00 PM »
To Dan's defense, I can understand why he just doesn't give it to someone...

Websites are first, profitable if you want to aim them that way...  I don't know that TCA is for Dan, so I'm just saying they can be if his isn't, so I could see not just handing over an established place to someone without compensation.  Also, they're like your own work of art as well, so I can see not wanting to just give someone something you made yourself from scratch.  Two pretty valid reasons I think Dan doesn't just give the thing to anyone.

Ultimately I think you're better off starting your own site, as many (most) customizers did way back when to show off their figures...  There was a time, long, long ago before TCA existed, when everyone just hosted their stuff somewhere online and linked to it when people wanted to check it out.  Hell, Photobucket's very easy to use, so even if you don't want to get into a big ole website deal with html coding and all that, you could just use Photobucket.

Speaking as someone that works at a site, it takes a lot of your time...  I don't really focus on customizing at all anymore I'm afraid.  I've barely touched a project in the last 2 years really, and others have been shelved for longer than that.  Between kids, spouse, home, cars, work/life in general, and then the added duties of a website too, it's just hard to find free time...  Oh and add in the fact you're still a collector first, tracking down stuff daily, maybe going to toy shows or local collecting meetings and things...  It's pretty hectic to add in customizing and running two other websites. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 5, 2007, 07:30 PM »
I can certainly understand not handing it over - if TCU were my baby, I wouldn't give it up either.  Though I'd consider looking into having an assistant.

As for time to customize, one has to really be devoted to do so when having so many other obligations.  I have a hard time doing it still, but customizing is still my favorite part of the hobby.  I'd probably lose interest if not for that aspect of Star Wars.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #54 on: October 5, 2007, 08:23 PM »
To Dan's defense, I can understand why he just doesn't give it to someone...

Websites are first, profitable if you want to aim them that way...  I don't know that TCA is for Dan, so I'm just saying they can be if his isn't, so I could see not just handing over an established place to someone without compensation.  Also, they're like your own work of art as well, so I can see not wanting to just give someone something you made yourself from scratch.  Two pretty valid reasons I think Dan doesn't just give the thing to anyone.

Ultimately I think you're better off starting your own site, as many (most) customizers did way back when to show off their figures...  There was a time, long, long ago before TCA existed, when everyone just hosted their stuff somewhere online and linked to it when people wanted to check it out.  Hell, Photobucket's very easy to use, so even if you don't want to get into a big ole website deal with html coding and all that, you could just use Photobucket.

Speaking as someone that works at a site, it takes a lot of your time...  I don't really focus on customizing at all anymore I'm afraid.  I've barely touched a project in the last 2 years really, and others have been shelved for longer than that.  Between kids, spouse, home, cars, work/life in general, and then the added duties of a website too, it's just hard to find free time...  Oh and add in the fact you're still a collector first, tracking down stuff daily, maybe going to toy shows or local collecting meetings and things...  It's pretty hectic to add in customizing and running two other websites. :)

I had to jump in when seeing the title of this thread, but JJ spoke the gospel already. Dan's been a friend of mine for years and for a time we were going to do some joint work on the Alliance, but it didn't come to be. Running the Custom Alliance is just a hobby side gig for Dan, he gets nothing out of it other than providing another outlet for customizers to display their work. Working on Rebelscum and CoolToyReview, along with several other collecting projects he's involved in, no doubt takes up most of his time. My advice would be as already mentioned to build your own site or use one of the many free photo hosting networks to display your wares in a more quicker form. But don't stop submitting to the Alliance, just know that your work won't get put up right away - hell The Power of the Customizer hasn't been updated in 5 years  :D - but eventually it will be and that will only bring more attention to your work.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 6, 2007, 10:18 PM »
JOT,

Dan Curto runs the Custom Alliance...  Dan's always maintained that he just doesn't have much time to dedicate to it since he's busy at Scum of course, and at the new site he helped launch for other toy lines...  I can sort of understand his plight since it's time-consuming to deal with it actually.  Definitely further ahead to whip up your own site I think, than to rely on the hosting...  It's gotta be a headache when you've got new stuff to show off, and to wait for someone else to upload/update I'm sure.

Too lazy to post in my own words on this matter, so this will do. This pretty much sums up my thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2007, 10:19 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #56 on: October 7, 2007, 10:17 PM »
But don't stop submitting to the Alliance, just know that your work won't get put up right away -

Thats just what i did. I used to feel the same frustration. I understand dan has a real life outside customizing, but in my opinion, it has always been like that. When i joined there in 2003-ish, it took him a year just to add my page. i bugged him a few times and was told, it would be up soon, after a year, i told him to just tell me if my page will never go up, so i can stop looking for it. It finally did but I figured that i would never get updated so after my first batch, i never submitted anything again.
What i did do, as JJ suggested, I made my own site. 

But in dans defense, i can barely make the time to update my own site, let alone the hundreds and hundreds of other peoples customs he gets each year.

So thanks to him, i have my own site. even if it hasnt been updated in 6 months and counting!

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 8, 2007, 10:48 AM »
I really can't understand what you or anyone would complain about the Custom Alliance. Dan is a great guy. Yes, he might not have time to update your page everytime you submit a custom, but does he charge you ($) for you to post pictures? No, it doesn't cost anything, so really you should have nothing to complain about and take some of these other suggestions the members came up with. Find a free picture host for you to make your own updates and just be happy Dan likes the hobbie as much as he does and provides us with a way to show case our work all together (when he has time ;)).
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 9, 2007, 11:59 AM »
I've actually been working on a new ugp site that will include a guest gallery. It's just been very slow in coming. I am looking for help. I'm willing to host your pictures for free and make a gallery for them however I need your help in getting it designed. I need someone that can design graphics and knows html. The web technology the server will support is very basic so we won't get into anything very fancy like .net. If you have time to help me, please pm.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2007, 12:00 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2007, 09:44 PM »
my prob with dan was that he never gave me a y or no answer. I woud have respected a rejection but he never even gave me that.  he gave me answers like   "...."  or  "   "  there you go. what a **** tease!.