Author Topic: X-Wing Pianting  (Read 4219 times)

Offline mastermatt24

• Youngling
  • Im a Dude!
    • View Profile
X-Wing Pianting
« on: June 20, 2005, 12:32 AM »
Hey guys, this is my first post here at JD. Anyways, here's my recently finished X-Wing painting:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b250/mastermatt24/?action=view&current=NewX-Wing.jpg
Enjoy!  ;D

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: X-Wing Pianting
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 08:33 AM »
Beautiful painting, Matt. Is that oil or acrylic?

I browsed through your customs, too - you're quite talented.

Great to have you here at JD!

Offline mastermatt24

• Youngling
  • Im a Dude!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Thanks!
I used plain old acyrlic. I really want to try oil but its really expensive :-\

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 10:41 PM »
For your age, it is a nice painting. A bit loose in the finer details, but overall quite good! Acrylic is a great media and oils are over-rated. The other thing, is acrylic is much more forgiving and faster. Don't be afraid to keep working into this painting and add more details, clean up your edges and maybe work a bit on your perspective. What is the size? It look fairly large and that is also to your advantage. The one tip I have for painting is always spend money on high quality brushes. The acrylic paint is all pretty much the same and the quality is important, but the tools you actually apply the paint with are vital. A nice detail brush can cost a lot, but it's worth it. Painting with a brush that frays or falls apart quickly sucks. The more you spend on a brush the longer it will last because you will want to take care of it. A good brush cleaning soap is very important to maintain a nice tight point and make it last. I ink with brushes that average $30 per brush and I still use the first I bought about 5 years ago. And it still gives me the fine point and flexibility I demand.

The other thing is don't be afraid to by acrylic gel mediums, extenders or liquifying agents/mediums. Do not use water and acrylic unless you want a watercolor effect or to clean your brush. For details, the water just makes the paint more transluscent. But preliquid (airbrush) acrylic for detail purposes and you never have to worry about the strength of the color or opacity of the paint.

Keep up the painting and continue to share with us!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 01:17 AM »
That’s really a great composition you’ve got there, very well executed.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline mastermatt24

• Youngling
  • Im a Dude!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 9, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys- they really do help.  :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 05:50 PM »
I think it's a great painting no matter what your age is - great job!  Much better than I could ever dream of doing.

I see you are into customizing too - feel free to chat in the customizing section too and share your custom figures with everyone.

:P

Offline mastermatt24

• Youngling
  • Im a Dude!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 03:33 AM »
Thanks chewie! I would post my other customs but.. quite honestly im embarrsed at the way the pictures turned out- they show none of the detail and work  I put into them. :'(
heres my next painting (In progress):
http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9164.0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 03:35 AM by mastermatt24 »