Author Topic: Suggestions from Chris  (Read 8516 times)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Suggestions from Chris
« on: June 25, 2005, 07:10 PM »
I'm going to post what I believe are good suggestions for JD forum members. This is just a little bit about posting etiquette.

• Have sentence structure. Start with a capital letter and end with a period.
  • Capitalize proper nouns. ie: someone's name, a movie title.
  • Check your spelling.
  • Use paragraphs. It makes it so much easier to organize ideas with and makes it much easier to read.
  • Punctuation is your friend. Using a comma or semi-colon really makes all the difference in a post (if of course it is needed).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 07:11 PM by Chris »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Suggestions from Chris
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 08:25 PM »
Heh, I agree and that's about as polite a way to put that as I've ever seen.

It helps though for people to be interested in what you're saying overall...  Sadly I know a LOT of people around various forums that simply ignore posts by people with chronically bad grammar...  I can't blame them in a way because it does become troublesome to read.  Plus I've had a lot of experience in reading poorly written/typed material so maybe I'm just less critical, but even I have trouble getting the gist of someone's post from time to time...

I won't name any names, but there's one site out there where every other post is pretty damned confusing...  When a thread's full of those posts though, it spirals out of control.  Those are all good tips Chris gave to help people be more well received by their peers here and abroad (at other sites). 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 02:59 AM »
[li]Have sentence structure. Start with a capital letter...[/li]
[li]Capitalize proper nouns. ie: someone's name, a movie title.[/li]

i think that dave is really gonna have a hard time with these two.  i think his keyboard is missing it's "shift" keys.  poor fella...

- matt

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 04:25 PM »
Wait, someone stole Dave's shift keys?  I think I have some in a kitbashing fodder box if he wants them. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 03:04 AM »
 :-\ Guilty I'm afraid.

Would it be possible to have a spell check option for posts?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 01:53 PM »
Hey Chris, can you abuse your admin staff and post that over at snowtroopers? :P ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 07:51 PM »
[li]Have sentence structure. Start with a capital letter...[/li]
[li]Capitalize proper nouns. ie: someone's name, a movie title.[/li]

i think that dave is really gonna have a hard time with these two.  i think his keyboard is missing it's "shift" keys.  poor fella...

- matt

>:(

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 08:08 PM »
Meh, I say just type it.  I hate bad grammar as much as the next guy and my fingers are flying, and I have a few minutes to post, it might not be pretty.

Its a simple Star Wars forum, not Harvard Law School.  I don't think we need to suck the fun out of it. 

When you start grading my posts for spelling errors, I think someone may have a bigger problem than my grammar ;^)
Well, actually I'd probably just ignore you :^)

Actually, I can't believe I'm responding to this, anyhow, my 2 cents.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 09:07 PM »
Meh, I say just type it.  I hate bad grammar as much as the next guy and my fingers are flying, and I have a few minutes to post, it might not be pretty.

Its a simple Star Wars forum, not Harvard Law School.  I don't think we need to suck the fun out of it. 

When you start grading my posts for spelling errors, I think someone may have a bigger problem than my grammar ;^)

No one is grading, these are simply a few tips I give out so people don't come out looking like morons. In all actuality, if you were to not use proper grammar I would do just the same, and probably ignore you. :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 09:30 PM »
Well, I can't stand seeing terrible grammer, spelling, etc.  It's very annoying to see someone write something like this -

i cant find the new figurs hasblow sucks

It only takes a second to type correctly and proof read what you have said, and if someone wants to be taken seriously, then I don't think it's too much to ask.

Just my two cents as well.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 12:11 AM »
Well, I can't stand seeing terrible grammer, spelling, etc.

Irony--it's "grammar". :-* ;)

But seriously, I agree with you guys about unintelligible posts. The nice thing about JD is that the overwhelming majority of posts truly are well-written. It may have something to do with the fact the median age is like 30.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 12:45 AM »
It may have something to do with the fact the median age is like 30.

Man, these guys are old.   :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 01:01 AM »
huh?  wha?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 01:07 AM »
huh?  wha?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 01:08 AM »

Hey Bob,

I see your point about it just being a "Star Wars Forum" and not something we're graded on as Chris put it, but the standard Chris is setting with this is important...

The ways in which people post (their behavior, their "style", etc.) are the reflections of who they are.  We of course aren't 100% strict on spelling and grammar as I can assure you that little I post is grammatically correct and I know I misspell things often.  I wouldn't use a spell-check if it was offered either (I'm not adding steps to my posting).

The rules and standards are more in place because it's a pretty common trend that those who don't care about how they post, or how it is read by others, often aren't positive contributors to the community either.  The theory here at JD then is that if you care enough to say something you're going to make it something that we can all comprehend...

Of course, you do that...  Even if you're "flying" with a post.  I do that, even though I know I make multiple mistakes.  It's not perfection anyone's looking for here of course, and like Chris said there's no grading going on.  But, I will say that the staff here (myself included) monitor HOW people post and if we feel they're posting a lot of nonsense, gibberish, or their posting is a bit on the incoherent side, then often a warning is handed down.

We havea laid back atmosphere here that you're well acquainted with though man, I know that, but I've always said that we run a "tight ship" too that a lot of people don't actually even realize happens.  We're very thorough about providing a GOOD online community for Star Wars collectors, and that means we've got to keep people on positive habits for the community.  Unfortunately, when people post poorly they're often ignored and not respected, and it can all be avoided by some simple efforts when typing out a reply...  Some people tend to ignore that kind of "netiquette" though and it's disruptive.

Chris' post here about some simple "guidelines" to keep in mind are just that then...  A little guide, some things to remember when posting, and some goals to attempt to meet as best as possible for everyone...  It's working good so far too.  Lots of good conversation and everyone's reading everyone pretty well with little friction.  Lots of "respect" around this board, which is something I can ONLY view as a positive over some other communities. :)