Author Topic: BIG NEWS -- Hyperspace Presents: What's the Story  (Read 7049 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
BIG NEWS -- Hyperspace Presents: What's the Story
« on: June 27, 2005, 12:00 AM »
http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/about/news/news20050624.html

"Each week, members of Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club will have the opportunity to leave their mark on the Star Wars expanded universe. Fans can develop an original backstory for characters, creatures, locations, vehicles, and more seen in the Star Wars films. If your backstory is selected, it will become part of Star Wars continuity and be included in the starwars.com databank.

Each week, this page will update with a new entry. Provide a brief yet detailed summary about the entry's history and specifics. Peruse the databank for existing entries to get a feel for the style and depth of the text.

The story that best fits within Star Wars continuity will be selected from the finalists and incorporated into a databank update. The provider of the backstory will be credited in the databank.

Please note that entries may be rewritten to for style and accuracy, and similar entries may be combined. While the entry subjects will change every week, the finished entries will only be posted once enough have been gathered to warrant a full databank update article. Keep checking starwars.com for more details as they become available."

Yes you read that right -- an opportunity to contribute to official Star Wars continuity.

Squeeeeeee teh w0000tzZoR!Z !111!?!!

Nerds everywhere, commence jizzing yourselves. :P
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: BIG NEWS -- Hyperspace Presents: What's the Story
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 01:01 AM »
haha...

Well, to me this just shows how loose the LFL people are with the continuity...  All the more reason to NOT accept everything written!  However, I will say that a lot of Fan-Fiction is very nice work...  Much of it even surpasses the stuff LFL is paying for, which is sad given what they probably are paying to get some of that stuff written!

It's funny but I've seen people make custom levels to games that are so nicely written and play so well that you just WISH they had some pull in developing the storylines of games.  Lucasarts has lost a step there (at least from time to time).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 03:02 AM »
Well, to me this just shows how loose the LFL people are with the continuity...  All the more reason to NOT accept everything written! 

Naw, because the whole idea is that this gets filtered and probably modified and so only the good stuff makes it through as Official. It's the best of both worlds, I think--fan imagination and official "control".

I just posted mine. And a damn good one, if I do say so myself. ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 03:03 AM by Valin Kenobi »

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 04:15 AM »
All the more reason to NOT accept everything written!

All the more reason to not accept almost anything, at this point, I should think.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 09:34 PM »
Unless you like it...  I mean, a lot that comes out is still good EU material...  I just think this Hyperspace thing is a prime example of WHY the EU is not considered "definitive" or "canon", and just something that is there for sort of a fan pick-and-choose...  It's like a Star Wars buffet where you can try everything, nothing, or just somethings.

But I was watching a thread elsewhere about Clone Wars (the toons) being "Canon".  Beyond the asinine reasons given (some which weren't entirely informed/correct, such as "Lucas was heavily involved with Clone Wars" when in reality he only gave some "help" to them by letting them introduce a character he created), the point stands that Lucasfilm hasn't changed anything publicly about the films being canon and nothing else...  I don't know what it is about TV's, but people think that if they see it, they can argue "Yeah, well that happened because it's MORE important than (insert EU medium here)".  I think that degenerated into the CW toon being more "canon" than the Clone Wars Comic or some **** like that. 

Then it turns to a pissing match where one guy says the cartoon's canon, then another says "but the comic contradicts such and such from the cartoon", and then the EU debate rages because some say the cartoon's now canon, others are confused...  It's funny to observe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 03:44 PM »
But I was watching a thread elsewhere about Clone Wars (the toons) being "Canon".  Beyond the asinine reasons given (some which weren't entirely informed/correct, such as "Lucas was heavily involved with Clone Wars" when in reality he only gave some "help" to them by letting them introduce a character he created), the point stands that Lucasfilm hasn't changed anything publicly about the films being canon and nothing else...  I don't know what it is about TV's, but people think that if they see it, they can argue "Yeah, well that happened because it's MORE important than (insert EU medium here)".  I think that degenerated into the CW toon being more "canon" than the Clone Wars Comic or some **** like that. 

Then it turns to a pissing match where one guy says the cartoon's canon, then another says "but the comic contradicts such and such from the cartoon", and then the EU debate rages because some say the cartoon's now canon, others are confused...  It's funny to observe.

Agreed. And you'd never EVER see anyone suggesting the Droids cartoons or the Holiday Special are "more canon" than, say, the books simply because they're TV. ;)

I think it has to do with TV being most similar to the original medium (film) so to some it seems closer to the movies on the Canon food chain.

The cartoon does contradict some of the books and comics (it can all be made to dovetail if you use your imagination a little), but if anything the cartoon is LESS canon since the books and comics came out first so the burden was on the cartoon to follow THEM, not the other way. ::)

That and the third season was just lame as hell. :P The first two were good though.

Offline bobafett1121

• Youngling
  • Boba Fett Rules!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 10:42 AM »
I just hope the put up some good characters that fans came make bios for. and not just a bunch of people that nobody has ever heard of before.
Boba Fett Rules!!!!!!

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #7 on: July 1, 2005, 03:15 AM »
I must say I like the idea of allowing fans to submit the backstories of characters. As a long time customizer, I know how much fun it can be to give a character a life by coming up with the details of his past. In fact that's all many people had for years before EU became so prevalent. Too bad it's only available to Hyperspace members though...

Agreed. And you'd never EVER see anyone suggesting the Droids cartoons or the Holiday Special are "more canon" than, say, the books simply because they're TV. ;)

I think it has to do with TV being most similar to the original medium (film) so to some it seems closer to the movies on the Canon food chain.

The cartoon does contradict some of the books and comics (it can all be made to dovetail if you use your imagination a little), but if anything the cartoon is LESS canon since the books and comics came out first so the burden was on the cartoon to follow THEM, not the other way. ::)

That and the third season was just lame as hell. :P The first two were good though.

Sorry to stray from the main topic, but after reading what JJ and Valin have said, I wanted to bring up a point. I'm sure this will be obvious, but I think it's worth stating. A valid reason for stating that the Clone Wars cartoon can be considered canon (at least parts of it) is that Revenge of the Sith begins mere moments AFTER the Clone Wars cartoon ends. The final episodes of the toon are like a prologue to the movie, setting up the battle of Coruscant and the rescue of Palpatine. Now I don't know if any of the novels do that, as I haven't read many of them, but I certainly believe this lends credence to the toon is canon theory.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 1, 2005, 02:41 PM »
The novel Labyrinth of Evil does that too, in fact ending with Obi-Wan and Anakin jumping to hyperspace towards Coruscant (unfortunately a totally different depiction from the cartoon).

(Interview with James Luceno

TUCWS: Labyrinth is closely intertwined with the Reversal of Fortune webstrip and Clone Wars Season III animated episodes. How closely did you work with Paul Ens and Cartoon Network to mesh your work with theirs?

JL: Unfortunately there was very little collaboration. I was under the proverbial gun to deliver a manuscript by May, 2004; so, immediately after the LucasFilm meeting, I started working on the outline. I had just received LFL’s approval when I learned about the Clone Wars animated series and about Dark Horse Comics’ on-again/off-again Countdown series. I was fairly dismayed after reading the outlines for both projects. All of us were starting and ending at the same places, but using different roads. Attempts were made to bring the three projects closer in line by divvying up the characters and the various plotlines. Dark Horse eventually ran with what became the Obsession series. But the animated series was more problematic, because it wasn’t going to be story-boarded, let alone completed, until long after my deadline for Labyrinth had elapsed. (The original outline, for example, included a fight aboard the train.) As for Reversal of Fortune, I didn’t even learn about it until much later in the year.

Thus it was the cartoon's fault for not following the books, not the other way around.)

Anyway, leading up to the film is not, in itself, grounds for being More Canon. For example, the novel Rebel Dawn leads right up to Han Solo walking into the Cantina in ANH, and that doesn't make RD any more canon than other EU books.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2005, 06:54 PM »
Vator gave me an idea... submit info for characters from Photonovels various members have done, or are currently working on. Yes, I think I'll do that...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 2, 2005, 02:01 PM »
A new character is up--a spacesuited dude from Mos Espa in TPM.

As a placeholder I'm calling him Helmet Man, but for the final submission I don't think that will cut it. ;)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 1, 2005, 10:47 AM »
Congrats, Nathan.  'Twas an enjoyable read.   8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2005, 04:29 AM »
Nice man...  :)

Man I forgot about this topic all together...

To Jason's reply, I agree with Nathan's stance that an EU's proximity as to timelines and the films and such doesn't make it more or less canon in my view...  But that's only to say that if I wanted to disevow Clone Wars the toons, I am pretty free to do so.  Personally I hold the cartoons higher than the comics and books because I liked the toons more, but that's just me and I'm not a huge comic/novel fan...  I pick and choose through it all.

I'm a person who always will strictly 100% hold to the idea that EVERYTHING outside the films is basically bullox.  It's a guideline of possibilities to be enjoyed if you like them and ignored if you don't like them.  Nothing more and nothing less.  In my Star Wars universe there are no giant bunnies, The Droids toons never happened whatsoever, and a chunk of the NJO is just fairytales within the Star Wars universe.   ;D

I'm a fickle EU fan, but there are some things I hold pretty high on my quality list and love as part of Star Wars.  It's all about the taste.  I'm glad Star Wars is a simpler thing for following though, where it's not something that the LFL label forces onto the fans really...  There's generally something for everyone in the EU, and they seemingly acknowledge that not all of it will appeal to everyone either and that's cool too.  I like that about them actually.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 4, 2005, 08:18 PM »
Thanks guys.

BTW, here's a little "Making Of" piece I cooked up for my Hyperspace blog. Warning: heavy EU nitpickery ahead, so I honestly wouldn't begrudge you for skipping over it. I just put it out there for the two or three hard-core nerds out there who may be interested. :)
« Last Edit: October 4, 2005, 08:20 PM by Valin Kenobi »