Author Topic: Did Obi-Wan spot Jango's Armor?  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Did Obi-Wan spot Jango's Armor?
« on: March 29, 2003, 11:21 PM »
During the scene in AOTC where Jango and Obi-Wan are sharing that cold dialogue in Jango's apartment, Jango's armor is slightly visible inside of a closet in front of Obi-Wan... So, do you think Obi-Wan spotted the armor? I don't think so, otherwise he would have reported it to Yoda, but I'm sure someone will disagree!  :D Thoughts?

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Did Obi-Wan spot Jango's Armor?
« Reply #1 on: April 1, 2003, 11:27 AM »
I think in the DVD commertary someone was saying that Obi Wan did see the armor.  I haven't seen the dvd in about a couple of months so I may be wrong.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2003, 08:56 PM »
Good question Brad.  I've wondered that myself...  I'm inclined to say that he did, simply because it appeared as if Obi-Wan looked right at it, and then got reasonably cocky about Jango's whereabouts of late...

But then again, he doesn't come right out and tell Yoda that it's the same guy who tried to assasinate Amidala on Couresant, so then again - maybe not...

But you might want to check the AOTC DVD commentary out, as Tom suggested above.  Maybe the answer's in there...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2003, 09:20 AM »
It does mention it, I recall, but I cant remember if they gave a definate answer or simply posed the question themselves.  ???

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2003, 02:05 AM »
I would definiteyl say that he noticed it over in that small area.  Obi-Wan doesn't say anything immediately about it to Yoda, but that's why he eventually runs outside to catch up with Jango and do the tango.
dustrho

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 01:43 PM »
...do you think Obi-Wan spotted the armor?

Yes, from a certain point of view. I'm sure if you asked Kenobi he'd lie and say, "I never saw that armor, but I didn't NEED to. I'm a Jedi and sensed Fett's duplicitous nature as soon as I arrived on Tipoopoo City." (Which is entirely possible.)

Keep in mind, from a STORY perspective, the audience doesn't know who that guy in the mask is on Coruscant that killed the assassin. It isn't until the armor is revealed that we're to make the logical assumption that this Jango Fett guy is the one Kenobi's looking for.

In short, Kenobi doesn't need to "see" the armor, but the audience does. THAT'S why it's there.
Post sober.

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Obi-Wan is  jedi, trained to be aware of his surroundings. I think it's safe to say that he most likely saw it.
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 12:49 AM »
I tend to think that Obi Wan saw the armor.  Why else would he have asked if he had been to Coruscant lately?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline P'dubs

• Jedi Initiate
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 02:07 PM »
They told Obi -Wan that Jango was a bounty hunter so it really wasn't that hard to put 2 and 2 together.
"They were all around me and they kept on saying "Utini Utini"."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 1, 2004, 03:31 PM »
I always got the impression that Obi-Wan *suspected* it was the same guy but wasn't sure until Jango started to be evasive with his questions.  I watched the film last night and there is a moment where Obi-Wan visibly leans to his left to look over Jango's shoulder at the armor, but Jango actually moves out of the way to give Obi-Wan a better look before telling Boba to shut the door.  Odd.

That said, another thing I noticed (or didn't notice, as the case may be) was that the shot of Jango flying off into the sky after he "darts" Zam in the alley is very quick and very blurry.  All I can make out personally is an indistinct blob with rocket trails moving up.  Even with Jedi powers, I doubt Obi-Wan's eyesight is good enough to make out more than a silver and blue blur flying away at night.

So, I guess where I'm going with this is to agree with P'dubs.  Obi-Wan wasn't sure but put two and two together after Jango started answering questions with cryptic answers.  The armor only helped him come to that conclusion, I suppose.

My main question (and one that Ben Burtt actually does bring up in the commentary track) is where Obi-Wan was supposed to put Jango on the way back to Coruscant had he captured him.  I guess he'd just put a gasmask on him and strap him to the hood of the Jedi Starfighter or something. :)

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 04:42 AM »
Like a deer.  :P

-DD
Back from the dead!!!