Author Topic: Not All Clones Are Made Alike?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Not All Clones Are Made Alike?
« on: June 19, 2005, 04:21 AM »
Saw ROTS again this evening and noticed something real interesting that I hadn't seen in my previous viewings. In the scene where Obi-Wan is talking with Cmdr. Cody and his men about the plans for their mission to Utapau, the helmet-less clones do not look all alike. There's the clone that looks like Temura Morrison, then there is one who looks of Asian descent, and a 3rd who looks to have the same skin tone as Temura, but is clearly not him. Has anyone else seen this, I thought it to be quite pronounced. Could it be that at some point, the Republic began to use new templates for Clonetroopers? Or could these be enlisted men from the many worlds of the Republic. This could be the sign of the integration of Clones and non-Clones into the Imperial forces that we see in the OT.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Not All Clones Are Made Alike?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 04:26 AM »
I think they used Temura Morrison and Bodie Taylor for clones, which would explain the difference.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 11:25 AM »
Chris R and I were talking about this not too long ago. As I told him, I figured that was to show a young and old Jango clone, in different stages of aging - first batch and second batch. I didn't think of it as a different clone template. I never saw an asian looking Clone, though.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Brodie was indeed the other clone.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 11:20 PM »
Chris R and I were talking about this not too long ago. As I told him, I figured that was to show a young and old Jango clone, in different stages of aging - first batch and second batch. I didn't think of it as a different clone template. I never saw an asian looking Clone, though.

The certainly makes sense in terms of the younger/older clones. I'll have to take another look at the movie (I know, whoa is me :P), but I was certain that I saw an Asian clone cause it just really stood out. I believe the clone was directly behind the hologram of Utapau, but more viewings will be necessary for sure.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 01:24 AM »
ILM also has a CGI head that is a morph between Tem and Bodie. It may have been used in this scene.

Could it be that at some point, the Republic began to use new templates for Clonetroopers? Or could these be enlisted men from the many worlds of the Republic.

Yes, the ROTS Incredible Cross-Sections says that some units began to be composed of volunteers, and in the future the best aces would be selected as stock for new clones.

I just don't think it's in this particular scene.

*adds to list of details to pay attention to in next viewing*
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 01:25 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 01:36 AM »
The Clones are all Jango Fett Clones.  They're supposed to be in different stages of age as mentioned above.  The Bodie Taylor looking Clones are the yound adult looking Jango.  Then there is the "in between CG looking" Clone, and finally the older Temuera Morrison Clone, that is classic Jango.

ILM merged Temuera Morrison's and Bodie Taylor's face for the "in between" looking Clone.

Some have speculated the AT-TE Gunner resembles the CG looking Clone Trooper.

IMPO the CG work on those Clone Troopers is terrible.
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 10:33 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that as well and this is what I was thinking.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 08:07 AM »
The mix of faces in that scene was noticed by some the night the movie premiered...  I looked in subsequent viewings and to me I'm just telling myself they're Jango Clones at various states.  I have a very linear view of things right now though that I'm comfortable with.

I view it as the Clone Wars are just Jango Clones...  Jango's are phased out then for recruits and by the time ANH rolls around there's no Clones in existance despite any EU to the contrary...  My opinion may change to include some Clone Divisions (Not sentients mixed with Clones though, id on't like that concept), or divisions commanded by sentients in ranks only as low as non-com officers (Sergeants) or higher while Clones serve as the "Troopers" that take the orders.

Right now I'm sticking with there being no Clones in the classic era though, as per the Thrawn Trilogy where Cloning is actually the Imperial's Plan B incase the populace turns on them.  To me though, the end of ROTS left me with the impression that the majority WANTED the Empire, even many aliens, and thoughts to the contrary were "unpatriotic".  I rather liked that aspect of the film that gave me that impression.

It leaves that 20 or so year gap for the Empire to establish itself, and for those lines to be drawn where some people/species are starting to get the shaft because they cling to the ideals the Republic had that they liked...  They maybe even supported the Empire's Creation at first, but the vast majority still support the EMpire and these people who are having their toes stepped on are (in galactic terms) a minority.  It's a subtle thing that shows up in privatized business being infringed upon, or military conscription becoming rampant...  It's good for many but some disagree. 

And some people are just won over because the Empire does all the things it promises and maybe more, while the Republic didn't deliver.  The Neimodians, for instance, get some punishment under the Empire and Naboo applauds the effort and sides with the Empire...  At some point the Empire becomes bad to them for whatever reason (thus their celebration sequence), but at another time (I dn't view the ROTJ celebrations as being really sequential...  Just my POV).

Sorry for the side rant, just was thinking out loud some about how I'm hashing out the period of the Clone Wars and its transition to the Empire of the classic trilogy...  Something about me just loves the idea that the Empire is a loved system by the galactic majority, whether it's "good" or not to us who have the privalege of knwoing EVERYTHING about the story.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 02:49 AM »
Sorry for the side rant, just was thinking out loud some about how I'm hashing out the period of the Clone Wars and its transition to the Empire of the classic trilogy...  Something about me just loves the idea that the Empire is a loved system by the galactic majority, whether it's "good" or not to us who have the privalege of knwoing EVERYTHING about the story.

Well EU has established that much of the Core Worlds did love the Empire as the crimes of the Empire and the Emperor were hidden/isolated from them as they were occuring to the lesser peoples of the colones and outer rim territories. There's also the basis that many of the Core Worlds (mind you these are supposed to be the powerful members of the Republic/Empire) just ignored the vile actions of the Empire because it benefited them. So your ideas have actually been put into play, because well they make sense
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin