Author Topic: Best POTJ Fig?  (Read 29903 times)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
Re: Best POTJ Fig?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2006, 01:05 AM »
I would add these to the list of great POTJ figures:
Sebulba
IG-88
They both have some neat features, with the removable helmet and bondolier. Would have liked more accessories with all in the line, but the most part one of the better lines we have seen. I like the POTJ line over the Saga line. Mainly because the action features killed the Saga line and still plagues new lines today.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2006, 02:33 AM »
Sebulba's highly overlooked.

Wonder how they'd do that figure today?  Could be pretty interesting but he wasn't bad at the time either.  He'd be tough to do better honestly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2006, 11:44 AM »
Ah, the good ol' POTJ line. Fond memories there.

For me, my favorites were:

FX-7
BoShek
Imperial Officer
Sandtrooper
Scout Trooper

All, save FX-7, could probably have benefitted from extra articulation, but sculpts were great.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2006, 01:15 PM »
I like the bespin guard.  :)
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2006, 07:56 PM »
The scout disappointed me.  It was one of the first figures that were a sign of bad things to come.  Little articulation and a goofy assed pose...  That would carry us from late 2002 onward unfortunately till at least 2004.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2006, 09:38 PM »
The POTJ was a great wave/line of figures. The fig toward the end of the line were really top notch.

My overall faves:
Battle Droid -Security (a battle droid that can ******* stand up and not look drunk)
Coruscant Guard (rocked big time, even though the arm posing was limited)
Eeth Koth (the precursor to how jedi would sculpted for the Saga line and the intro of the 2-piece lightsaber)
Bespin Guard (came with a ton of useful accessories that could be attach to the figure as well)
FX-7 (great sculpt with tons of articulation)
Imperial Officer (finally someone to shout orders at those stormtroopers)
Queen Amidala Royal Decoy (ornate sculpt and could easily fit in with the current TSC line)
Sandtrooper (he's a sandtrooper and included macrobinocs)
Teebo (Ewoks are cool)
Tessek (throw some weathering on him and re-release him for the TSC line)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 12:31 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2006, 12:28 AM »
Sebulba's highly overlooked.

Wonder how they'd do that figure today?  Could be pretty interesting but he wasn't bad at the time either.  He'd be tough to do better honestly.

If Hasbro tried him today they would just screw him up most likely. It would be neat if they could give him more articulation without totally destroying the figure, but that is a big pipe dream.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: April 3, 2006, 08:50 PM »
Articulating him is the only thing I think they could do to improve him.  The sculpt of the POTJ figure was dead-on and a removable hat with working goggles was unheard of at the time really...  At least at that level of quality.

I think the articulation could be improved considering how well done Sun Fac is...  Similar joints would help Sebulba, but nonetheless he's still a great figure that holds up well.  Unlike, say, Duros...  I loved that figure at the time, but considering what Hasbro does today, Duros should have some knee joints and elbow/wrist joints...  Kind of funny how he just now LOOKS good but falls well short of quality we've seen in the last 2 or 3  years.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 06:56 PM »
I have astoundingly few POTJ figures, and am looking to buy some more in the future. As it is I own 4 and have two favories :P Death Star Escape Han is purely for kitbash fodder, and while she's a fairly good figure, Bespin Escape Leia (what's with all the escaping? In 2000 it was escaping, in 2006 it's battles, I guess) is not quite a favorite.

While FX-7 isn't the most exciting character ever, I have to admit it'd be hard to make a better version of him. Each and every arm articulated with two joints! And the turning middle and removeable upper arm. This figure is great; it makes an "interesting prop" character fun, and is a perfect and complete representation of him. Can't ask for much more.

Millenium Falcon Mechanic Chewbacca, while rereleased almost as much as Cantina Han, is a pretty good figure and made great strides in Chewie sculpting and height. He's multipurpose and looks pretty good. He's been outdone more than once since, but he's the best Chewbacca in my collection so far and I like him.

*shrugs*

But overall the POTJ line does seem to be quite good and made a lot of progress for SW figures overall. About the only bad thing I can say for it is the (in my unpopular opinion) slightly goofy packaging and line name, but being a loose collector it doesn't trouble me. Actually, I've never held a POTJ card in my hands, unless I did back when they were new and in that case I put it back- don't remember.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2006, 07:04 PM »
My personal favorites (In order):
1. Imperial Officer
2. Zutton Snaggletooth
3. Teebo
4. R2-D2 Naboo Escape

:P

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2006, 10:11 PM »
Disco Lando and Porkins  :)

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2006, 11:29 PM »
Which one's Disco Lando?

Do you maybe mean General Lando? That one actually originated as a POTF2 freeze frame figure... hence not only the action-stance but the super-buffness.

But if you mean something else, that sounds like something I should see :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2006, 01:06 AM »
I assume he's talking about Bespin Escape Lando with his bellbottomed pants...  Disco Lando's more descriptive of the POTF2 Lando though.  THAT was a Lando with Disco Fever. :)

As far as the stance on Pilot Lando, I don't think that really had much to do with POTF2 as a line overall.  It was really actually a bit of an enigma...  One figure out of many in a very wonky action pose.  Besides Lobot, I can't off-hand think of too many exagerrated POTF2 poses...  Death Star Trooper, that's about all I'm able to come up with in the basic line though.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2006, 04:31 AM »
Aside from the lack of articulation, I think POTJ will probably go down as the favorite segment of the modern line in many people's eyes.  Hasbro really catered to fans during this period, and they had to, after the near K.O. that followed EP1 at retail.  They don't seem hardly as interested in maintaining a good relationship with their base nowadays (more like they're exploiting it) and so maybe the figures are 'better', but not as fun.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2006, 10:34 PM »
Aside from the lack of articulation, I think POTJ will probably go down as the favorite segment of the modern line in many people's eyes.  Hasbro really catered to fans during this period, and they had to, after the near K.O. that followed EP1 at retail.  They don't seem hardly as interested in maintaining a good relationship with their base nowadays (more like they're exploiting it) and so maybe the figures are 'better', but not as fun.

Exactly, did you ever think, back in the day, that we'd be getting a FX-7, K-3PO or 2 kick ass Astromech Droids?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird