Author Topic: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005  (Read 13350 times)

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
Re: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 09:00 PM »
 :P
ANY Hurricane makes SOME of us really nervous now. Last year, we took 3 direct hits in 6 weeks. :o

The aftermath is the worst part, it takes a long time to recover. Repairs still continue a year later here, from shortages on materials and contractors.

Prayers be with anyone affected by this latest monster Katrina.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 02:48 AM »
So the latest story is extremely strong thunderstorms and an heightened chance for Tornadoes out my way.  Why, I do not know.  And as it turns out I'm going to have to make a trip that day anyway...  Shazbot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 06:42 AM »
Same here JJ, as a matter of fact the enviorment here looks favorable for several tornadic events. Not cool, to say the least.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 07:19 AM »
So the latest story is extremely strong thunderstorms and an heightened chance for Tornadoes out my way.  Why, I do not know. 
I saw something on the Weather Channel last night that said that the outer bands of the storm -- about 200-300 miles east of the storm  would produce sever thunderstorms and tornadoes -- that's probably what it is heading your way.  They just put us -- the Charlotte area -- under a Tornado/Severe Weather Watch for the day --  :P

Been watching the news the a.m. -- the devastation in NO and the MS Gulf Coast is unbelievable.  My thoughts and prayers go out to them -- along with supplies we're sending to our local Red Cross.

"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 10:29 AM »
I stayed up until about 4 last night hoping to see some strong storms, but this one really died out by the time it got here. We've had much heavier storms over the last month than this one turned out to be. It's still supposed to rain a couple of inches and have decent wind gusts the rest of the day, but this doesn't look anything like I expected it to. I'll be surprised if you see much of anything at all Jesse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 09:08 PM »
Yeah, we've gotten just off-on rain...  Sometimes steady drizzle, but sometimes heavy downpours, then sometimes it just quit...

I've heard no thunder what-so-ever.  Weathermen are a waste of perfectly good airtime on TV I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 09:51 PM »
Unfortunately I am sad to say most of your reports are true. As a suburnban New Orleans resident I have to say the destruction is nothing short of spectacular. I have just received word that my home may not have been damaged as badly as I had thought. I just hope the looters have no clue how much some of my vintage carded G.I.Joes hanging on my wall will fetch them. :(

I was going to ride out the storm when it was still a category 3. But sunday morning my roommate woke me up to say that she was now a cat 5 and that we needed to get the hell out now. After a harrowing 12 hour car ride in bumper to bumper traffic, we finally managed to get to one of my roommates relaqtives house in Scott LA outside of Lafayette. A ride that should only take 2 hours I might add.

Seeing the destruction of all of the things, and places you take for granted is nothing short of horrifying. The Target, and Walmart I was shopping for figs at no less than 3 days ago is now completely gutted, and practicly leveled. the water on Canal street is now waist high and rising because of no less than 2 levee breeches.They say the water will be almost 12 feet high by 6 am. There are fires burning out of control in Metarie that fire fighters cannot even get to. And of course there are inevitably looters abounding that many suspect set the very same fires ablaze to begin with. Mayor Nagan and Gov. Blanco have declared Martial Law over a good portion of the state. Its like a horror movie come to life. I wish I were making this out to be more than it is but unfortunately I'm not.

The worst part about all of this is I still have no concrete proof that I even have a home to go back to. They wont even start letting people back in until monday at the earliest. Of course with no power, sewerage, or clean water, Im not sure Ill even be able to go back homeany time soon.

Now I know what the people in Singapore felt like.
This was our Tsunami. and my heart goes out to them for surviving it.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 10:35 PM »
Very sorry to hear that Ennis, my thoughts are with you. EDIT: No doubt you've already heard this, but they're going to be letting residents back into town next week with Identification to get clothes and other neccesities, but then ya'll won't be let back in for a month. http://www.wwltv.com/

This is an absolutley astonishing storm...price of gas has gone back up too, word has it its 2.99 in NY...anyone care to confirm that?

So the latest story is extremely strong thunderstorms and an heightened chance for Tornadoes out my way.  Why, I do not know.
Simply stated:

Because landfalling Tropical Systems often offset the existing balance of the atmosphere around them. Since they generally provide their own wind feilds, this interacts with the existing wind flow...allowing for wind shear, or turning of the winds with height.
Now if a thunderstorm taps into this shear, then rotation can develope inside the cell. When a storm begins to rotate, the National Weather Service will generally issue a Tornado Warning for the area...however, rotation does not neccesarily equate to a tornado, as a tornado can only occur once the rotation reaches the ground.
Thankfully in most cases, tornados spawned by Tropical Cyclones are weak and short lived. Although there are rare instances like the 1989 F3 that actually hit my city thanks to a landfalling tropical system that caused something like 2 million dollars in damage to crops and commercial interests.

the Charlotte area
Charlotte eh? Spartanburg here.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 11:04 PM by -Vator- »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 07:58 AM »
Ennis -- I am so sorry to hear that you were wiped out by this storm -- my heart goes out to everyone in LA, MS & AL.  While you may have lost all of your stuff, I'm glad to hear you got out with your most important possession -- YOU! 8)

the Charlotte area
Charlotte eh? Spartanburg here.

Hey Neighbor :)
Tracy
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 08:01 AM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 02:50 PM »
Best wishes to you Ennis.  I hope you have a home to go back to - I can't even imagine how that would feel.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 03:16 PM »
[http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/oilstorm/main.html]Oil Storm examines what happenes when a Category 6 hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico slams into Louisiana, crushing the city of New Orleans and crippling the vital pipeline for refined oil that is Port Fourchon.[/url]

Take a gander. Spooky. :(

Kevin
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 11:55 PM by Dressel Jr. »
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2005, 06:37 PM »
In Atlanta some stations have gas at $5.89 a gallon.  Most of that is just to scare off people since they have a low supply right now and are trying to get more.  Ennis hope everything goes okay with your house and stuff, looters suck.  One thing to loot for your family and your's survial nothing thing to do it for new stuff.    The one thing I can't wait for is when the AG offices in those states start taking the TV footage of all the looters who are looting in front of the carmeas.  Two people I that I hope get caught are two female police officers who where in the shoe department at a Walmart with a basket/cart, looking around. 

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 11:22 PM »
Are you serious? I didn't see that footage. Thats so pitiful its hilarious. ;D I'm going to have to turn the news on again. There is a spark of good news, I will be able to go back on monday. I'm not sure they are going to let me stay, and under the conditions I m not sure iI will be able to stay. But at least I know where I stand as far as being homeless or not.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 11:38 PM »
Ennis, I hope you're going to be alright and that your home/property is as safe and sound as it can be.  Take care on your trips to your home when you are able to.

The TV footage of down there is just too much to watch at times.  I was watching a thing about the looting last night and that's scary to see how things turn when law/order are lost.  Saw something about a shoot-out between looters and stuff.  Scary.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2005, 12:31 AM »
Are you serious? I didn't see that footage. Thats so pitiful its hilarious. ;D I'm going to have to turn the news on again. There is a spark of good news, I will be able to go back on monday. I'm not sure they are going to let me stay, and under the conditions I m not sure iI will be able to stay. But at least I know where I stand as far as being homeless or not.

Not sure if you are talking about what I was saying about the cops looting.  I'm not sure if the two females were actually cops or not, they had on blue uniforms which looked like police uniforms.  I think it was on MSNBC where I saw the tape of this.