Author Topic: Battle Packs (5 figure sets)  (Read 49133 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Battle Packs (5 figure sets)
« on: March 25, 2005, 08:24 AM »
http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=4187&zoneid=2

Some of the figures are ok I suppose.  They are rehashes though.  I would not mind having the Clone Wars Anakin figure.

Somewhat disappointed with these overall. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Packs (5 figure sets)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 11:03 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of them.  Not a real clear view, but some (not all) of the figures look to be new, or partially new.  Hard to tell with Hasbro's lighting, which makes everything look spiffier it seems.  The mention of an Obi-Wan with Clone Armor has me interested, but I'll have to see these closer or get more details before I pick them up.  Could be interesting though, depending on the price and the figures.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 11:07 AM »
Looks like Anakin and possibly Obi-Wan are new.  I think the Clone Wars movie style figures were crap on a EU plate.  Jedi Armor and Mexican Bandito outfits and the like don't show up in the movies do they?  Mace Windu wears the same outfit in AOTC and ROTS, why would he change for the Clone Wars?  It smacks of doing something for coolness sake.

We'll see how these turn out, color me unimpressed so far

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 11:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm actually one of very few who prefer the animated Clone Wars figures, although I do see the potential of a more "movie like" Clone Wars line, if they hadn't gotten quite so funky with the outfits.  Watching the Clone Wars animated shorts, and seeing the potential with all the different Jedi, Clones, vehicles, and battles....there really could have been quite a line for it you would think, especially if it was an ongoing series.  Anyways, not sure about these 5 packs either, hard to tell much from the pictures, but much of it looks to be rehashed.  Another idea that could be great, but probably won't be.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 11:27 AM »
I guess I'll wait for nicer pictures before I really decide anything, but here are a few initial thoughts...

1 - Given the fact that there are NO army builders in either pack - LAME.

2 - All 10 figures appear to be resculpts?   Thanks Hasbro, I was really looking for a way to get yet another Yoda, Jango, Maul, Obi-Wan, Anakin, etc etc etc. 

Too bad there isn't an OT 5-pack so we could get Cantina Han, Mechanic Chewie, Slave Leia, PotJ Ben, and CommTech Luke again too...   ::)

3 - Repitition.  Why the heck are Anakin and Obi-Wan in BOTH packs?   >:(  It's one thing to resculpt us to death on main characters, but to have BOTH of them in both of the sets?  Super LAME.

:(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 11:37 AM »
I have to say that I think the Yavin IV Anakin is a welcome addition.  Not sure about the other offerings yet since the images aren't uber-clear.  We'll probably get to see these in person at Celebration 3.

Unfortunately, it looks like at least a couple of these are rehashes.  I think the Anakin in the lower image might be a rehash of the SAGA Deluxe Slashing Anakin that came with the Geonosian.  That thing was a turd on a blister if I ever saw one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:03 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 02:05 PM »
The one figure that stood out really badly to me (in terms of a "WTF?" moment) was the Mace Windu.  Great idea, Hasbro: take the single most overproduced and underselling figure of the Saga era, which also has a garish action feature that makes it nearly impossible for it to look good holding a lightsaber, slap a new head on it (presumably; as has been said, the lighting isn't that good), and put it in a five pack as a "new figure."   ::)

I do like the fact that they are doing a Yavin IV Anakin (I can only hope that the Ventress is "damaged" as well), and I'm cautiously optimistic about the Clone Armor Obi-Wan (my fear is that it will just have the snap on pieces from the Saga/CW Deluxe Clone with Speeder Bike as its "armor"). 

More than ever I'm convinced that Hasbro is reusing their old stock that they bought back from retail for these four packs.  I mean, out of all the figures they could pick, they pick Geonosian Rescue Mace, Final Battle Jango, and Deluxe Anakin?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 02:45 PM »
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I think I'll get the first one at least.

Yavin 4 Anakin looks promising, and I don't have the movie-style Asajj Ventress so I want this one, repack or not.  I don't feel strongly about General Gravy one way or the other, and it's hard to tell what kind of Yoda that is.

And clone-armor Obi-Wan honestly sounds too good to be true. What's the catch? Probably the armor won't come with the cape, the pieces won't snap on properly and he'll look like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man when wearing it. ::)

The second set looks like new or modified sculpts of Obi-Wan and Anakin, so we'll see how that turns out. And I don't have any Jango, believe it or not.

I think the Clone Wars movie style figures were crap on a EU plate.  Jedi Armor and Mexican Bandito outfits and the like don't show up in the movies do they?  Mace Windu wears the same outfit in AOTC and ROTS, why would he change for the Clone Wars?  It smacks of doing something for coolness sake.

True, but I don't have a problem with that. What's wrong with a change of pace from the moldy old bathrobes now and again? ;)

The one figure that stood out really badly to me (in terms of a "WTF?" moment) was the Mace Windu.  Great idea, Hasbro: take the single most overproduced and underselling figure of the Saga era, which also has a garish action feature that makes it nearly impossible for it to look good holding a lightsaber, slap a new head on it (presumably; as has been said, the lighting isn't that good), and put it in a five pack as a "new figure."   ::)

No kidding. He's still a pegwarmer at my TRU. *forces a laugh but cries a little inside*

At least they swapped the head.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 02:48 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 03:09 PM »
Whoa!!!!  I for one am pumped up like a Mother F-er about these!!!!  Yeah!!!

Really, I am excited about the sleeveless Anakin... and the Yoda looks very different... Mace Windu could finally get his fair treatment too... it might not be that one awful sculpt... at least I hope not.

The bottom set with the other Anakin looks like the Deluxe slashing action one though, which really sucks.

:P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 03:11 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 03:20 PM »
Does anyone know what these will be packaged as--Clone Wars, Post-OTC silver-on-black, or simply ROTS?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 03:24 PM »
Clone Wars maybe for the top one... but not for the bottom one as Maul is in it...

Doesn't really matter to me though - open and enjoy.

:P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Now that I think about it, it will probably be in the ROTS line even though half the figures aren't even from the film (Jango, Maul, Yavin 4 Ani, Ventress, Armored Obi).

And I'll be opening 'em right up, so it doesn't matter much to me either.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 03:35 PM by Valin Kenobi »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 08:31 PM »
Uh, shouldnt it be Asajj and Maul in the Jedi Vs. Sith?

Doy...

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 12:06 AM »
Hmmm

just looking at the photo, blowing it up some and trying to enhance it, I see:

-Geonosian Rescue Mace Windu
-Deluxe Anakin (that came with the Geonosian)
-MOTDS Maul
-Final Duel Jango Fett (with the rem. head)
-An Obi-Wan I can't quite make out, but his legs smack of Pilot Obi-Wan

That's the bottom-row of pictures...

The top row looks like all-new figures, except Assajj. 

I don't like Anakin's pose...  Assajj will be nice to actually see available only because I only ever saw ONE of her, and dig her character.  She was a good idea.  Yoda I can't make anything out on, and Obi-Wan actually looks like just an articulated version of him, actually, which would be warmly welcomed.  If he's a nicely articulated E2 Obi-Wan with armor that pops off?  No complaints here.  Greivous just looks like the preview one to me.

To that end then, the bottom row blows, top row looks like it could be a 50/50 mix of good and "eh".

Personally, I may be in the minority but I really liked the IDEA of realistic looking Clone Wars characters.  The problem that I think arose was that Hasbro was given a gist of what was coming, but not told specifics of the toons at the time, so what got made wasn't necessarilly great.

If I saw a whole new series of realistically sculpted CW figures, but they were now based on what we know is in the toons, I'd take it.  I'd take a Mace, an Obi in armor, a Yoda (he really isn't all that different in the cartoon than in the movies), etc...  Plus I'd add in new characters like Padme, Republic ground crew, TONS of Jedi (Ithorian, Shistavanean, Sha'Gi, Ki Adi's padawan, Muftak, etc.)...  I'd gladly take new, SA ARC troopers and reissues of the Clones too, of course....

To me, the realistic sculpts are a great idea, and some of the figures were fantastic.  Assajj, ARC Trooper, Sae-Sae Tinn, Obi-Wan, Durge (Deluxe), etc. are all great figures to me...  I'd even say I like Frito Bandito Yoda for what he was...  just something different.

Mace, Anakin, and their ilk aren't too swift though.  :(  It's like they didn't get any reference material for anyone but Assajj, ARC, and Durge prior to whipping the figures themselves up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 12:22 AM »
Pre-order yours now at EE!

SW Episode III Jedi vs. Sith Battlepack:
Jedi vs. Sith features Yoda, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi with snap on Clone Trooper armor, Asajj Ventress and Darth Maul (subject to change).

SW Episode III Jedi vs. Separatists Battlepack:
Jedi vs. Separatists features Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace Windu, General Grievous and Jango Fett (subject to change).

SW Episode III Battlepack Wave 1 Case:
Star Wars - Episode III Revenge of the Sith 3 3/4-inch Action Figure Battlepack assortment wave 1 case. Includes 4 individually packged battlepacks: 2x Jedi vs. Sith and 2x Jedi vs. Separatists.

SW Episode III Battlepack Wave 1 Set:
Star Wars - Episode III Revenge of the Sith 3 3/4-inch Action Figure Battlepacks wave 1 set. Includes 2 individually packged battlepacks: 1x Jedi vs. Sith and 1x Jedi vs. Separatists.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender