Author Topic: Five time world champion  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
Re: Five time world champion
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 08:00 PM »
THe slurpee turns 40 this week it was invented right here in the Big D and shortly put into 7/11 right after its anniversary

Happy anniversary cherry slurpee.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 09:50 PM »
What the hell is a slurpee??  Is it chipped ice with some kind of color squirted in it? 

Well congrats on the world record anyways 'eh.
Beth

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 09:59 PM »
Beth, this is a fragile moment for me - please tell me you are joking about not knowing what a slurpee is...  Right?   :o   ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Jeez Beth, if I could mail you one, I would.  Tragic too with you being in Michigan.  Find a 7-11, go have a slurpee, please. 

That said,
I never knew Canada was such a big fan of the Slurpee... :o Not much on Slurpee's myself, except for one summer when I had jaw surgery and they were about the only thing I could tolerate for a while.
Do they not have ICEE's up there? Love the ICEE's- Coca-Cola - craved it while pregnant, used to get them growing up in New Orleans... I'm not really sure just what the difference is between the two...

There's a big difference between slurpees in Canada and the US, both in terms of texture and flavoring.  The flavors themselves are the same but they seem to be more "poured on" in the US rather than mixed in like ours.  I think the ICEE's are more similar to our slurpees than the US slurpees are.  US slurpees are really too fizzy and uber-sweet. 

If you find yourself in Canada, stop in and have a slurpee just for the sake of comparison. 

The popularity of the stores here is almost surreal as well.  I can find them easily enough when I'm in the US, but they are just everywhere here (and that doesn't count an equal number of "Mac's" stores that serve Frosters = slurpees).  There are 42 stores in a metropolitan area with a population just under 700,000.  You can double that if you add in the Mac's stores.  Apparently each store sells an average of 10,200 slurpees a month, each and every month of the year.  And as you're well aware, it can tend to be a little cooler here than say Texas or Florida. 

I thought I'd told the story here, but it seems not.  Went out skating with my daughter this past winter on a pond at a local park.  We stayed out for a while but it was really very cold and I made her stop because I was getting worried about her getting frostbite (and I might have been experiencing some cold as well).  We got in the car and I suggested hot chocolate.  She looked at me in the rear view mirror and said can we get a slurpee instead?  That's MY girl! ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 11:16 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 11:25 AM »
We got in the car and I suggested hot chocolate.  She looked at me in the rear view mirror and said can we get a slurpee instead?  That's MY girl! ;D

It's moments like this that making a raising a child worth the effort.  That was a beautiful story Brent.   :'(

;D

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Not kidding.  What is a slurpee?? There aren't any 7-11's up here and I doubt if I'll drive around Detroit to look for one so fill me in?  Is it a shake with ice???
Beth

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 04:34 PM »
What is a slurpee??

It's basically finely shaved ice that is constantly mixed with flavouring/syrup so that you get an evenly flavoured drink.  It basically has the consistency of a shake, but not quite as thick.

It's a little piece of heaven.

Except when you get a brain freeze - drink it too fast and you'll experience the most intense headache ever for about 10-15 seconds.  One must learn to pace thyself, padawan.   ;)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 09:53 PM »
So when I move to Ohio, I'll look for a 7-11.  Any flavor you suggest I should try first? 
Beth

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 10:44 PM »
You're moving?

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 09:10 PM »
Ya, Jay got a promo and it involves moving to Ohio.  So...what is the slurpee I should try? 

Beth

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 09:13 PM »
Cherry.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 10:34 PM »
Grape is my personal fave.  Dr. Pepper and basic Coke are good too.  Let us know how your first brain freeze goes. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005, 12:43 AM »
Dr. Pepper, good choice.  Sometimes a little too sweet though.

My favourtie is 3/4 Coke on the bottom with 1/4 Strawberry on the top.  mmmmmm.....

[hops in car to 7-11]

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 12:48 AM »
Sadly I have never had a Slurpee. There are no 7-11s in my area for some reason.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2005, 10:43 PM »
Sadly I have never had a Slurpee. There are no 7-11s in my area for some reason.

I've said it earlier, but they are hard to find in the US.  I've no idea why?  Greater popularity of the Icee?  For whatever reason they're just a hit up here, winter or summer.