Author Topic: Mattel DC Superheroes  (Read 87886 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: DC Superheroes
« Reply #45 on: June 9, 2006, 09:35 PM »
Large Superman Returns toy display at the TRU in Times Square NY with actual props & costume. From the Superman Hompage.   8)

SUPERMAN RETURNS SUIT DISPLAY - TOYS R US NYC Video

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2006, 04:14 PM »
I don't know if anyone is interested or not, but our local TRU had the exclusive "Space Suit Kal-El" figure from the Superman Returns line.  It is basically just a repainted Superman figure (without cape) to represent the suit worn in his return - from what I gather.  Also, there are rumors that a "House of El" 2 Pack might be on the way, and is apparently being found in Australia right now.  It contains both Kal-El (Routh) and Jor-El (Brando).  Pics and info at the linky.  Not sure if it will show up here or not.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 10:40 AM »
Further info on some TRU Exclusives for the Superman Returns line.  It looks like we have a holo Jor-El figure in August, and then a "House of El" 2 pack coming in October.  Pictures and details at the linky, if interested.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2006, 10:56 AM »
Alls I know is that the Superman toys seem to be gaining Hulk/Spidey2/FF/Batman like pegwarmer status.  Lots of stuff is already being clearanced at Target

When will these companies learn?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2006, 11:26 AM »
I saw much (actually, everything except for the basic figures I think) of the Superman Returns merch. on the first clearance run at our Targets this weekend.  I agree Scott, I don't know when these companies will learn.  I can see having lines to support these big superhero movies, but they really tend to go way overboard with things.  20 different versions of the same character, too many lines/junk, etc.  It probably won't change, but its too bad something like this happens to all of these lines.  ToyBiz has done a little better than Mattel, at least offering some decent figures in their lines overall.

Offline Kit

• Jedi Initiate
  • "I want more clones and I know I shouldn't."
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2006, 01:20 AM »
As much as I would like to splurge on these Superman toys like I do on toybiz/kenner- Batman/Batman returns toys, I can't find myself doing so due to the lack of quality of these toys.  The only figures I bought are:

Kryptonite smash Superman: Probably the best figure out of the whole line.   
                                               Plus it looks nice in the packaging as well.
Missile launching Lex Luthor:  Superman needs someone to fight.
Space suit Kal-el:  Nice nostalgic Jor-el look.  Plus it's an exclusive.

I wish this line could of been more like the "Super Powers" line of the 80's or like the toybiz/kenner- Batman/Batman returns toyline.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Not sure if anyone is interested in this line or not, but a couple of pictures have popped up online of upcoming Justice League Unlimited assortments (3 packs and singles).  I had resigned myself that I'd be stopping with this line, but some of these look tempting.  Although the figures are fairly basic, I am impressed with the variety of characters this line has seen.

3 Packs

Singles

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2006, 01:41 PM »
It's a cool and diverse line, no doubt about it.  But the scale issue again is a problem for me.  I like the original Marvel Legends line, though would have preferred a 3.75" scale.  So matching the ML stuff with DC Direct, Mattel, Infinity Crisis and the like works.  I'm also not very enamored of the "cartoony" look of these little guys. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2006, 09:35 AM »
TNI.com has a look at some of the upcoming DC Superheroes figures for 2007.  There are pics of Catwoman, Steel, Supergirl (variant), Parasite, and Mongul.  They look pretty nice.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Not sure if anyone is interested in this line or not, but a couple of pictures have popped up online of upcoming Justice League Unlimited assortments (3 packs and singles).  I had resigned myself that I'd be stopping with this line, but some of these look tempting.  Although the figures are fairly basic, I am impressed with the variety of characters this line has seen.

Oh, yeah.. definitely grabbing these two:

;D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2006, 02:20 PM »
Just a side note, a little off topic, but while stopping by WM this weekend checking out the SW aisle I just happened to note the "bonus aisle" that is still filled with Superman Returns stuff.  I know that most to all superhero movie lines seem to glut up, but I don't see how WM is ever going to unload all those Supermen on the pegs - not to mention the non-action figure type stuff.  I don't notice the problem as much at other retailers.  Target in particular always had a modest section, and after the reset they still do - although they clearanced out a lot of the bonus stuff, sticking with the action figures and some role play type stuff.  Anyways, just an observation, but will companies ever quite get it right with these movie lines?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2006, 02:44 PM »
  Anyways, just an observation, but will companies ever quite get it right with these movie lines?

No, they won't. 

At the same time though I think we grossly underestimate the sales they generate.  I believe they seriously sell a lot more product than any established lines do, generating a lot of $$ for the retailers.  On the bright side, at least there are no bump 'n' go things or hulk hands or thing feet this time around. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2006, 03:52 PM »
That's a good point Brent.  I think we underestimate the money that comes in from things like this too.  There always seems like a wall of merchandise is available, so it seems like its all sitting - but it probably does do pretty well.  I know for movies like Spider-Man 2, I saw lot sof that stuff selling - but there was still plenty of stuff on the pegs too (just not much besides Spideys).  You always read stuff that says those Hulk hands sold like gangbusters too, but they were everywhere around here.  So, I guess you never know.  There just seems to be a lot of stuff out there - particularly at Wal-Mart - but then again those seem to be the lines they support the most as far as action figures go.  They do big "get their own aisle" pushes with the summer blockbusters and then a four peg section for lines like Star Wars (this year) :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Our Walmarts up here have become more subdued due to lessons from the past it would seem.  But having been in Fargo this summer there is indeed an entire aisle dedicated to Superman and Pirates.  Even Star Wars didn't get that kind of push and I haven't seen that much dedicated to Star Wars since 1995-1997. 

I think sales are great, but I do think your original point still holds - so much will hit clearance pricing.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 7, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Again, maybe not something a lot people are interested in, but while shopping at Target yesterday I noticed they were carrying Superman Returns figure and glass sets (similar to the SW sets).  Priced about the same ($12.74 at our store I believe), and there looked to be three different sets.  I picked one up, just because I'm a sucker for glasses like that, but left the other two.  I hadn't heard about these prior to seeing them, possibly a Target exclusive?  If anyone likes collecting glasses, I just thought I would pass it along.