Author Topic: Mattel DC Superheroes  (Read 87896 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: DC Superheroes
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2006, 01:19 AM »
No, it's just Mattel's regular exclusive gouging going on. The Batman Begins and Superman Returns TRU exclusives were $10 a crack, and since Mattel figures that since you're getting two exclusive figures, the price should be $20. Typical dumb Mattel logic.  :)

Oh, I heard that DCSH wave 4 is showing up, and early case pack reports indicate that it's something like 4x Superman, 2x Lex Luthor, and 1x each of Darksied and Brainiac. And all this time, I thought they'd finally learned NOT to pack a case like that.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2006, 09:16 AM »
I actually saw that Superman Returns 2 pack at our local TRU as well.  I was half tempted to get it, but just couldn't pay $20 for it.  It would be kind of neat to have, but its not worth that much to me to have it.  I've read reports of the latest DC Superheroes wave showing up as well, but that case pack does stink.  From the pics I've seen, the figures look pretty nice though, so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) finding them.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Interesting the next wave is already showing up, wave 3 didn't seem to have near the shelf life that series 1 and 2 did.  A little unnerving in that sense but I have the figure I wanted from series 3 (Azrael) anyway.  I did see the Mr. Freeze figure last week as well, just a repaint from the DC release of 2004 I think. 

Anyone ever find out what the chase figures were for series 3?  I've not seen them pop up on ebay, so I'm wondering if they really exist. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 3, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Stopped by WM this morning for a few groceries and found the latest wave of DC Superheroes figures.  I picked up Luthor, Darkseid, and Brainiac.  I haven't opened them yet, but they all look pretty nicely done.  I have to admit though, the $9.88 pricepoint on these stings just a little bit.  Granted, maybe Hasbro will have Marvel Legends up near that price next year (hopefully not), but right now they just don't seem near the value that the Marvel figures are.  I saw 4x Superman (repacked from the Batman line 2 pack), 2x Brainiac, and 1 each of Darkseid and Luthor.  They are packed with the same comics from the previous Superman wave, so they comics have nothing to do with the figures themselves.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 4, 2006, 01:32 PM »
After a blip with the third series showing up, we've completely regressed up here ???  Series 1 is back on the pegs for no logical reason.  Most odd.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 6, 2006, 03:49 PM »
I've had no interest in these figures.  But the Luthor, Braniac and Darkseid and very intersting to me.  I have doubts I'll ever see them here though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2006, 10:53 AM »
I'm just curious, how many people here are interested in and/or collecting this line?  I have bought a handful of figures so far, and do like them, but I'm getting to the point where I really need to cut back on collecting, and these might be the things to go.  At $10 each, and with Star Wars and Marvel stuff taking a priority, I'm thinking I might have to either cut back considerably on these, or altogether.  Has the price and/or priority kept anyone else away from this line?  I'd like to get more of the Batman characters/villains in the future, but we'll have to see how the budget shakes out.  Its time to cut back on things.  Anyways - is anyone collecting this line?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2006, 11:44 AM »
I'd buy them, but the only ones on pegs here is series 1 and the Superman/Bizarro two-pack. Series 2 came and went, and series 3 and 4 haven't arrived, much like the Batman/Batgirl two-pack.

This line is so like MOTU anymore that I'd be better off just forgetting about it.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2006, 03:42 PM »
I still like the line, but I've always been pretty selective in it, buying only a figure here and there (as in only Supergirl and Azrael so far).  I was planning on getting the Batgirl figures and maybe another Batman figure, but as Ben said, it's so hit and miss.  We saw series 3 very, very briefly, maybe 2-3 boxes between two TRUs and then reverted right back to Series 1/2.   ???  If I see them, I'll buy what I like.  If the line goes belly up, so be it, the Alex Ross stuff fits the bill just as well.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2006, 04:11 AM »
I only want Azrael from series 3, but I suppose I could do without. I would like the Batman/Batgirl two-pack, and I was checking ebay for one earlier. Holy crow, you'd think they were made of gold or something.

I think I'm going to preorder a set of series 4, since I'd buy 3/4 of that series if I found them at retail. I can just toss the Superman in a Toys for Tots bin to be rid of it.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #85 on: November 1, 2006, 10:27 PM »
Anyone know if the batman figure from series 3 is still in stores? And if not, any idea where I could buy one (for a reasonable price)?

Can't wait for Catwoman and Supergirl from the Steel series!

Also, does anyone know if there's any difference between the Superman from wave 4 and the Superman from wave  2? Which one is a better figure?

« Last Edit: November 1, 2006, 10:42 PM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 2, 2006, 10:13 AM »
Man, you are falling hard.  LOL.

Series 3 has only sort of hit.  This stuff has been weird, both north and south of the border.  My guess is you can still find series 3 in stores, or will again soon.  I know it shipped and showed up here in Canada first but now they're shipping series 1 and 2 again ???  So my guess is they'll start in again on 3 shortly and go for a while. 

Can't say about series 4 versus series 2 for Supes.  I didn't really like the series 2 version and passed on it every time I've seen it.  I think Brian has one though and likes it, but he's got this weird Superman bias :P  Seems like Brian has seen series 4 as well. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 2, 2006, 10:27 AM »
Series 3 hit briefly here, and when it was here it seemed like that Batman was the one that was left behind.  I personally like that Bats, but I've seen opinions go both ways on that.  If for some reason you can't find his individual figure, he's supposed to be repacked in a Target 2 pack with Batgirl (which from what I have read has been tough to find so far).  As far as the Superman 2 vs 4, the Series 2 one is an all new sculpt that I like.  It does have a few faults (the wide leg stance/hip articulation being the most common complaint), but its probably the best one that is out.  The one in Series 4 is just a repack of the Superman from the Batman comic line (a 2 pack).  Not terrible, but nothing great.  You shouldn't have any trouble finding it though, from what I've seen.

I think Brian has one though and likes it, but he's got this weird Superman bias   Seems like Brian has seen series 4 as well.

:D The Superman bias comes from my wife actually, who thinks Superman is "the best" superhero.  I've always liked Superman fine, but have been a Spidey fan first and foremost my entire life.  As a kid, it was Spidey, then Batman, but overall I was more of a Marvel person (and still am).  DC does have some cool heroes though (Flash and Green Arrow are a couple of my favorites), its too bad that Mattel isn't able to have the entire license.  That might hurt this line in the long run, unless things change.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #88 on: November 2, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Man, you are falling hard.  LOL.

Seriously!  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 2, 2006, 12:33 PM »

:D The Superman bias comes from my wife actually, who thinks Superman is "the best" superhero. 

Then you're a wise man.  My wife likes Wookies, so I keep them around. 

Interesting to hear that Series4 Supes is a repack of the Superman figure I already have from that two pack.  I agree that it's ok and it was my Superman of choice until I picked up the Ross version with the heat vision eyes or whatever that one is. I'll post a pic of it later tonight.  It was a retailer exclusive apparently and my comic guy parted with his. 

I liked the Batman from Series 3 as well, it looked nice the few times I saw it.  I think my current Batman is still the Zipline version or one like it.  I think the two pack Batman with Superman was slightly different and I have one of those; my daughter pilfered one of them, but I can't remember which. 

I do wish the various DC lines would add a bit more articulation for the figures but maybe not to the ML extreme.  I find a lot of the sculpts in the DC lines (Alex Ross in particular) to be really nice statues so you can't do as much with them (fist raised, fist lowered), but in many respects they look better than the ML counterparts because they aren't so broken up.  Female sculpts from DC are significantly better than the Marvel versions, IMO.