Author Topic: Mattel DC Superheroes  (Read 87890 times)

Offline GeneralBelIblis

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: DC Superheroes
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 10:07 PM »
i just got the batman and its really cool. the articulation is really good. i painted him black with the bat symbol on his chest yellow. the paint scheme he is made with isnt bad or anything, i just wanted a movie type batman.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 2, 2006, 11:19 AM »
If you visit this linky and scroll down, someone has posted images of the upcoming DC Superheroes figures (previewed by Lee's Action Figure Review I believe).  Included are:

Batman (new/different)
Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
Azrael
Mr. Freeze
Batwoman (Cassandra Kane)
The Joker
Superman (new/different)
Lex Luthor (Super Powers-style suit)
Brainiac (Super Powers styled)
Darkseid
Supergirl

These look pretty good to me actually.  I really wish they weren't quite as expensive, and would fall in the ML price range.  I'm not sure if I can afford to go too nuts with these, depending on where the ML line is headed, but I definitely plan on picking up the Superman characters and maybe Joker as well.  The Superman and Lex Luthor are must haves for me, and the other villains are likely as well.  If Mattel can expand this to the entire DC Universe in 2007, it could really be a nice line.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #17 on: February 2, 2006, 01:25 PM »
Damn, is that stuff really Mattel product? It almost looks like DC Direct.

Can't wait for Darkseid and Brainiac.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 2, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Those are pretty nice, but my DC desires are pretty limited.  The Batgirl is nice and I'd pick it up, but I actually like the Unmasked version better and I already have that one. :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 9, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Although not technically the "DC Superheroes" line, I figured it would fit here just the same.  The latest issue of ToyFare magazine has a preview of the Superman Returns toys.  Some of the ones pictures on the inside are pretty craptastic (especially "Clark to Superman"), but the figure pictured on the COVER looks pretty good.

Its called "Hyperposeable Superman", and although I'm not exactly sure what scale it is in...ToyFare makes it appear as if it is in the basic figure line.  Either way, I think that will be the Supes I pick up.  I'd like to get a Luthor as well, but the one shown in ToyFare doesn't look incredibly great although the picture isn't the best.  Hopefully we'll see more at Toy Fair this weekend.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 9, 2006, 06:14 PM »
I'm waiting for a Lex Luthor from the Alex Ross series, if that's possible.  I love the sculpts he does. 

About the only two figures I can think of that I'm undecided on are Batman and Superman.  I have them both already from the series that included the Zipline Batman but if something better came along, I'd pick it up.  But it's pretty decent and I mostly use them as statues anyway.  Superman is another I'm looking to replace, but that one doesn't do it for me.  Drewlam says the Alex Ross is pretty nice though it looks older.  I'll check it out yet. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 04:07 PM »
Not a whole lot new from this line at Toy Fair, although there was pictures of much of what is coming up this year.  You can see much of it (along with JLU) at Action Figure Insider.  I think the majority of the figures look pretty great, and I know I definitely plan on picking up that Superman as well as the Lex Luthor.  I might end up getting more of the Superman-related characters, depending on budget.  And, if this line can expand to the whole DC Universe in 2007 as Mattel hopes, I'll definitely be getting a Flash.  Anyways, from what I've read at AFI, it sounds like they are looking at dropping the comic books from upcoming waves to get the prices more in the Marvel Legends range.  Also, Target will be getting a trio of exclusive 2 packs later this year: Superman/Bizarro, Batman/Batgirl, and Superman/Clark Kent.  More info and pics at the linky above if interested.  This might be hitting at about the right time if Marvel Legends dies down after this year, and if this line can expand further in 2007.  For now, just Supes stuff for me, but if we start seeing the Flash and other DC characters, it might be hard to resist picking up a few.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 05:25 PM »
I want the Reverse Flash and the Shining Knight.  I also would like to see them release Hal Jordan to the public and a Hawkman would be good to see before the line goes away.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 9, 2006, 02:42 PM »
Anybody see the Batman Lego sets?  I'm going to have to pick them up.  I'm not sure if they are online only, though. 

http://shop.lego.com/leaf.asp?cn=244&d=7&t=3
« Last Edit: March 9, 2006, 02:42 PM by John C »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Well, some disappointing news out of WWLA, where Mattel guy "Boy Wonder" did confirm that DC has turned them (Mattel) down for getting the "master license" for the DC Superheroes line.  Meaning, only Supes and Bats characters for the line for the foreseeable future (this year and next for sure the way it sounds).  I'm really disappointed with this, as I was hoping that we would see a Marvel Legends style line for the DC universe.  Although Superman and Batman are two of my favorites, I would have really liked to see The Flash, not to mention more of the JLA.  I'll still be picking up most/all of the Superman and related figures, and probably some of the Batman ones as well, but this line had a lot more potential than this.  I don't see how long it can go on with just the big two, but we'll see.  I guess I'll have to check ebay for a good DC Direct Flash to go with them, and then see about others like GL, WW, and Aquaman.

On the positive side, it does sound like the JLU line will continue this year and next for sure (even without the show).  Lots of "bad guys" were mentioned, including Solomon Grundy, Cheetah, and Doomsday.  Its a nice line too, that I enjoy, but a Legends-style DC line would have been pretty sweet.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 03:56 PM »
Sounds like this news has been pretty well confirmed at this point, as far as 2006 and 2007 for sure being limited to just Superman and Batman "worlds" in the DC Superheroes (6" scale) line.  Disappointing, to say the least, but hopefully we'll at least get some good figures from these lines.  Aside from what has already been revealed in the first 5 series or so, characters such as Catwoman and the Creeper have been mentioned as well.

Thinking more about this, with this line not being "universe wide" as many had hoped, it really seems like DC really doesn't compete very well with Marvel when it comes to action figures.  I don't know whether it is due to Mattel alone or what, but looking over the comics, tv, and movie lines, it just seems like Marvel/Toy Biz has done a better job.  Now, once the line changes to Hasbro's hands next year, we'll see how that goes.  Although some of Marvel's movie lines do have an overabundance of certain characters, for the most part the lineups have been done very well.  Most figures are well articulated, scaled to each other, and pretty accurate.  There's always some stinkers, but overall I'm pretty happy with what I've seen in the Spidey, F4, and X-Men lines (although I don't really have any of those).  Although I did pick up a Batman and Scarecrow from the Batman Begins line, and plan to grab a Superman and Lex from the Superman Returns line, I don't think that those lines were/will be very well received.  Looking at some of the pics of the Superman Returns line in ToyFare, at KBToys.com, and at ToyNewsI.com, they don't look too spiffy overall.  Now, with this "comic accurate" figure license being limited to Supes/Bats, its obvious that the DC Superheroes line isn't going to compete with Marvel Legends very well either.  I do enjoy the JL/JLU toyline (and show), and they have really offered a lot of characters from there...and it sounds like they will continue to....but that seems to be the lone bright spot for DC in the figure aisle right now.

Anyways, a bit long winded, but I was just thinking about this today.  It seems, at least to me, that Marvel is really dominating this area of the comic market.  If DC wants to compete, they should really allow Mattel the entire license...or Mattel should step it up in areas like movie figures.  I still have hopes that Mattel can get the master license in the future, but that's two years away now at best.  With Legends possibly winding down or switching hands, they had a chance to grab some of that market, but that might not be as strong now...especially going into 2007.  The Supes/Bats characters will only last so long before they have to start doing lots of variants of the big two.  Sorry for the rambling....just a little disappointed in this news for now and it got me thinking about comparisons between the two companies action figure/movie wise.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Ive mostly been getting the animated JLU stuff. Mostly for customising and so forth. But I may have to break away and get these. Ive been waiting for a battle armor Luthor done D.C. Direct style for years. That Brainiac is no slouch either. Im chomping at the bit to get these guys.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 10:49 AM »
I got my first two DC Superheroes figures yesterday, as a preorder I had with BBTS for Superman and Bizarro was delivered.  I really like these figures.  Definitely the best Superman (for the price) that I've seen...nicely sculpted, and pretty well articulated.  I can see some of the complaints I've read online about the hip articulation, and although I haven't seen it happen yet, I can see where it might lead to the figures having troubles standing up "straight" eventually.  Bizarro is quite nice as well, and isn't just a repaint of the Superman figure.  I like them both, and I'm glad to have them.  Its kind of bittersweet since it doesn't sound like we'll see the entire DCU in this form, at least not for awhile.  I'm going to continue to pick up most of the Superman figures and some of the Batman ones as well, as that is what the line is scheduled to consist of.  Overall, pretty nice figures, I'm happy with them.

That said, using the obvious comparison, they aren't really in the same league with Marvel Legends.  They are the closest we've seen, to be sure, but just not quite the same.  Its funny, the packaging is cheaper and more generic, the comics aren't the best choices (and will be dropped starting with Wave 3 from what I've heard), and the sculpts/articulation aren't to the level of ML...but they cost more.  I really would have liked to see a DC line to the level of Marvel Legends, and I think it would do well, but it doesn't look like we'll see that yet (with the licensing issues and all).  Plus, there are a few other areas that they could step it up in to compare with Toy Biz's lines.  Either that, or we've really been spoiled with what Toy Biz has been able to offer with the Legends/Classics lines over the years.  I've read some comments from one of the brand managers at Mattel, wondering how Toy Biz was able to include everything that they do (clamshell packaging, comics, figures, stands/bases, build a figures).  Maybe we've just been spoiled by those lines.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 5, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Not sure if anyone is really interested in these or not, but I found the first batch of Superman Returns figures at Wal-Mart today.  Basically all different Superman figures.  I just picked up the Clark to Superman figure, since I have read that this is the best of the wave.  I know movie figures often aren't very popular, but I like to get at least a basic figure of my favorite heroes when they are available.  I want to pick up Luthor when he's released, as well as anyone else that might be part of future assortments that aren't just Supes variants.  Not too bad of a figure overall, and it will look nice next to the Batman Begins Batman :).  Price was $6.97 at our Wally.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #29 on: April 7, 2006, 02:27 AM »
I want that Clark-to-Superman figure, then I'm done with this line. He'll sit here next to the rest of my movie-inspired figures from the 90s Batman movies.

I don't know where else to put this, but I've been looking for this figure forever, and it's a bitch to get on the bay.

A later version of the Batman & Robin Mr. Freeze. Anybody have one or know of an online store that might? Love and thanks.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk