Author Topic: Batter up! The 2003 JD Baseball Thread...  (Read 56916 times)

Offline carebear

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Batter up! The JD Baseball Thread...
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2003, 08:44 PM »
There is no way that the White Sox are going anywhere at 5.5 behind.  Now the Cubbies are a different story!!!!!
Carrie Rhoads
DUSTRHO is my hubby!!!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2003, 09:39 PM »
The Sox are going home for the winter! :-*

Offline DarthWormie

• Youngling
  • Mom always said, don't play ball in the house.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2003, 11:40 AM »
Was at the Red Sox game last night and got to see the magic number shrink to 4 games! There was a little bit of nailbiting going on when the seven-headed beast known as the bullpen came in and nearly blew another one. BH Kim was the last person I thought would come in and nail it down. He completely dominated the O's in the 9th.

As for the offense, what can you say. They have one of the best offenses EVER. They're going to have 7 guys hit over 20 HR, 9 guys hit at least 10 and have an outside shot of 5 guys driving in 100 runs. They also set the ML record for extra-base hits in a season and they still have 6 games to play.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2003, 11:54 AM »
There is no way that the White Sox are going anywhere at 5.5 behind.  Now the Cubbies are a different story!!!!!

The way the Astros were going I thought for sure the Cubs would not make it.  Now there is a definite chance.  Bothh teams are tied up in first place.  A 6 game race for the division.  Go Cubbies!!!!  

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2003, 12:07 PM »
And the Red Sox magic number is................4 :)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2003, 01:37 PM »
Red Sox magic number is 4 for what?  The Wild Card?  I know that the Yankees have 2 magic numbers, and it's kind of confusing.

Their magic number of 1 will clinch the AL East division title.  That's all the games they would have to win.  Now, technically the Red Sox COULD tie them in the W-L columns if they only won one more game.  HOWEVER, with the Yanks-Red Sox season series at Yankees 10, Red Sox 9, the Yanks would win the division on that tiebreaker.

So, if the Yankees make it to their magic number of 2, with either 2 wins, or a Yanks win and Red Sox loss, or whatever combination, they would then have the best record in the AL East, and win the division without reverting to tiebreakers.

It was all very confusing to me at first, but that's the deal in the AL East.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2003, 01:39 PM »
So who do you guys think will be losing to the San Francisco Giants in the world series this year?

I prefer Oakland (Bay Bridge II), but I'll settle for spanking the Yankees.
Got Clones?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2003, 03:28 PM »
Nick, the AL East was pretty much given up on by the Red Sox last week.  The magic number of 4 is for the wild card (assuming Seattle finishes second in the West).  The magic number for the Yanks is 1, which is probably going to happen tonight, me thinks.

I'm going to go to go out on a limb  ;) and say the postseason match ups are all set with the Yanks playing the Twins and the Sox playing the A's.

I'm actually more worried about the Sox playing the A's in the first series then playing the Yankees in the ALCS.  Hopefully it won't come down to that and the Twins push aside their recent woes (and that's putting it lightly) against the Yanks and beats them in the ALDS, setting the stage for a Twins-Red Sox ALCS.

[size=8]Go Red Sox!![/size]

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2003, 03:37 PM »
So who do you guys think will be losing to the San Francisco Giants in the world series this year?

I prefer Oakland (Bay Bridge II), but I'll settle for spanking the Yankees.

If the Yankees are in it again spank away!  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2003, 03:45 PM »
I'd love to see a Yankees-Red Sox ALCS, that would be an awesome thing for Baseball.  I hope the Twins win and if they do I'll be happy, I just don't think they can with all of the history and seeming inability to play with the Yankees while they can handle most other AL teams.

I'll go with a Giants-Yankees World Series, the Braves also have a shot in the NL.  There is no way the Phils/Marlins or Astros/Cubs will do anything against the other two Juggernauts

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2003, 05:43 PM »
The only thing I worry about is the Giants have a hard time beating the Braves. I mean, historically. The Braves always seem to edge them right out of the post season, so I hope we can pass them up and make it an East Coast-West Coast series.

Got Clones?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2003, 09:25 PM »
Of course, I want to see the Yanks back in the series.  Been a fan since I was 4.

As for the National League, I'd like to see the Cubs.  For whatever reason, I just like them.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2003, 11:16 PM »
TWINS CLINCH...Bring on the Yanks!

Offline DarthWormie

• Youngling
  • Mom always said, don't play ball in the house.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2003, 11:20 PM »
Red Sox magic number for the wild card is down to three! David Ortiz (Thank you Minnesota!) and Todd Walker came through HUGE! The Sox were down 5-2 with 2 out in the 9th and tied it. Ortiz won it in the 10th with a lead-off Homer. Bring on Chokeland!
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2003, 12:15 AM »
The Yankees  win!  Thuh-uh-uh Yankees Win!  They're the 2003 American League Eastern Division Champions!

Feedback