Author Topic: Batter up! The 2003 JD Baseball Thread...  (Read 56731 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Sammy Sosa busted with a CORKED bat!
« Reply #45 on: June 6, 2003, 06:23 PM »
Aren't steroids supposed to make you upset and in a bad, aggressive mood?  I am asking because Sosa never seems to be in much of a bad mood.  Perhaps making millions counters this affect?  :)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Sammy Sosa busted with a CORKED bat!
« Reply #46 on: June 7, 2003, 01:46 AM »

If Pete bet on baseball games, fine.  If Pete bet on the Reds to win their games when he was managing them, fine.  BUT, if Pete bet on the Reds to LOSE games, or on the point spread of the Reds games, well then YES, we have a really big problem, and I might be inclined to say leave the lifetime ban on him...  But those are the only 2 gambling scenarios that I would consider to be serious enough to keep him out of the Hall.

Pete Rose always bet on the Reds to win.  The biggest question marks seem to be about how he'd manage the team the day before a game he bet on.   Would he bet on his strongest starter?  Would he let the previous day's pitcher hang out to dry, so he could keep the bullpen fresh for the following day?  Would he not use his bench players the day before he bet?  And furthermore, would his bookies know how he operated, and bet on the Reds to lose the day before a game Pete bet on, and then bet them to win the day he bet?  It really casts a negative light on the integrity of the games he was involved in.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Sith Bounty Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hunting new figures daily
    • View Profile
Roger gets 300 wins and 4000 K's
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2003, 11:00 PM »
Earlier this weekend Roger "Rocket" Clemens got his 300th win and 4000th K in the same game! I don't know if any one likes baseball or really cares, but I really think it is a cool accomplishment by Roger. Congrats Roger! :)

Edit by JediMAC:
I'm merging your post into the baseball thread here where our baseball fans can enjoy it.  I'm also removing the glow feature from your entire post SBH, since it makes it virtually impossible to read it, especially when it's in white.  Please refrain from using that feature any further, unless it's just to highlight specific words or phrases, and not entire posts.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 11:32 PM by JediMAC »
Dont under estimate the power of a sith lord

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Roger gets 300 wins and 4,000 K's
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2003, 11:39 PM »
I'm a pretty big Rocket fan myself (though I hate the Yankees).  Clemens' last start was definitely one for the ages as he broke into two of baseball's most prestigious clubs for 300 wins and 4,000 strikeouts.  Add to that his 6 Cy Young awards, and you've got a healthy debate on your hands as to whether he might be the best pitcher ever!  He certainly ranks right up there.  Unfortunately, he's saying that this is his final year (which I doubt), so appreciate him while he's still out there for another few months folks!  Congrats Rocket!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Batter up! The JD Baseball Thread...
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2003, 01:02 AM »
Based on the way Roger is still pitching, I'd really like to see him stay in pinstripes for at least a couple more years.  He's still got more tools to work with than most guys in their 20's.

The current flap is this:  Roger is taking his issues with the Hall Of Fame up a notch.  He wants to be inducted as a Yankee, or else.  He says if he doesn't have the classic NY on his hat, he doesn't intend to attend his own induction to the hall.

Feedback

Offline Sith Bounty Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hunting new figures daily
    • View Profile
Pete Rose
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2003, 12:17 PM »
Personally I hate Bud Selig  >:( first he made the All-Star Game in a tie  >:(, second LET PETE BACK IN BASEBALL! So what if he had enough confidence to bet in his team. So Bud LET PETE IN!
Dont under estimate the power of a sith lord

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2003, 03:44 PM »
The current flap is this:  Roger is taking his issues with the Hall Of Fame up a notch.  He wants to be inducted as a Yankee, or else.  He says if he doesn't have the classic NY on his hat, he doesn't intend to attend his own induction to the hall.

Yeah, I've seen this garbage in the news a lot lately.  Funny, but I haven't really seen or heard much of anything about how the jerseys (or helmets, or whatever) go in the other major sports "Hall of Fames", but there's often such a hoopla over which hat someone will have in their baseball Hall of Fame area.  I think it sucks that some of these guys who spent the vast majority of their career with one team, before getting a little long in the tooth and being moved off elsewhere, get so bent out of shape and upset, that they're demanding any other hat other than the one they SHOULD have.

Even Wade Boggs is making this an issue, saying he wants to go in as a Tampa Bay Devil Ray.  Say what?!?  Like Clemens, the dude was clearly a Red Sock/x for the majority of his best years.  This is happening more and more nowadays due to the highly fluid free agent market over the past couple of decades.  I say the Hall should select the hat that they think best represents a specific player at the peak and/or for the majority of their career, and that player just has to live with it, despite whatever "hard feelings" he's got with their former organization.

The fans deserve that I think...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2003, 04:01 PM »
Dave Winfield though set precedent and the HOF obliged by letting him go in as a Padre while most of his better years were in NY and Toronto

BTW, the NFL HOF only has busts of each guy with no team affiliation attached at all except on their plaque where it says who they played for
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 04:09 PM by OCB »

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2003, 04:08 PM »

Well here's what the Induction Committee needs to do, tell him if he keeps up with the threats of not showing up to the ceremony, just not induct him into the hall. Then ole Roger won't have to worry about which hat he'll be wearing.

Gee, remember the days when being inducted into the Hall of Fame was a huge honor. Guess not with Clemens.  ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2003, 11:23 PM »
I understand Roger's sentiments.  For him, it's all about winning.  I think he likes his two rings WAY MORE than the two 20 strikeout games he through as a Boston player.  He's also very councious of the fact that Dan Duquette, the former Boston GM, basically ran him out of town, and told him he was through.

So, what did Roger do?  Got in the best shape of his career, and won not one, but two Cy Young awards with Toronto!  He was DOMINANT!

Then, he comes to the Yanks.  What kind of stats has he racked up?  67 wins and counting,  two World Series titles, his 300th win, his 4,000th strikeout, and another Cy Young award.  Not a bad performance.

Based on that, I think the Hall should let Roger decide.  He hasn't been a Sox player for almost ten years.

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2003, 05:41 AM »
C'mon now, where are the JD baseball fans at?!  Scott, hasn't your talented brother flipped over any mores "K's" at the Metrodome lately?   :-*

I had to bump this thread back up to give props to my boy Garret Anderson of the Angels.  He's one of the most underrated and unknown superstars in all of professional sports due to his extremely quiet, shy, and unassuming nature.  But all that aside, Garret just went out and won the Home Run Derby contest, which he promptly followed up with an All-Star game MVP trophy!  Granted both Bonds and Sosa were MIA from the derby, but hell, he still had to beat out a tough A-Rod, Giambi, and Pujuls!  Pretty cool, not to mention he just got his World Series ring not too long ago...  So way to go G.A.!  Nice to finally see you getting some of the recognition you rightfully deserve!

The All-Star game itself wasn't half bad.  Not sure if that had anything to do with World Series home field advantage being at stake or not.  I still say that's not a good idea by Selig.  Why can't baseball just do it like all the other sports and have the team with the better record at the end of the season get home field advantage in the World Series?!  Who cares if they play in different leagues!  It would make the last couple weeks in late September more exciting and actually mean something, if a team or two in each league was still battling for the best overall record in baseball...

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2003, 09:08 AM »
Well Matt I can agree with you about the best record in BB getting home field. That sounds like a good way to do it. It probably would add a little to the later games, depends on the season I guess.

This is the first year in a very long time I missed the all star game. I had to work my second job >:( But o well.  

I missed the discussion on Clemens. He was always one of my favorite players as a kid. I used to hunt for any and all of his cards. Living in Green Bay where the card shops only see green and gold made that a challenge. I still will look at auctions for clemens lots. personally I feel that a player should have the option to be enshrined with the team of his choosing. It was his career after all.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2003, 12:38 PM »
I agree with you also Matt.   The best record should get home field advantage.  We are a huge baseball oriented family so this has been a hot topic in the household.  I loved watching the homerun derby.  My son was watching the previous hr derby's and McGuire sure ripped the cover off the ball on most of his shots!!

Going to two Braves games in Atlanta at the end of August(and Dragon-con just happens to be in town....whaddaya know) while they host the Mets.  Hubby's all jazzed for that.  I'm still reliving the "Roar of '84" and hoping the Tigers will come back one day. :P
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2003, 02:10 PM »
I am so depressed about baseball it is not even funny.  Twinkies have returned to Twinkydom and seem not to even care

I knew last year was an abberation of some sorts and perhaps it was because they had something to prove and I knew their pitching was very suspect and it is showing big time

Injuries, not hustling and other things are killing them

Ugh ???

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2003, 02:12 PM »
Scott sounds like you are watching the Brewers as well. Believe me I feel your pain
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge