Author Topic: Batter up! The 2003 JD Baseball Thread...  (Read 56734 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Batter up! The JD Baseball Thread...
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2003, 05:21 PM »
Twins traded for Shannon Stewart today from Toronto, good move gives them a chance to move Jaque down the lineup and Guzman way down to the bottom of the order.  Plus no more platoon in RF

Too abd they didn't trade for pitching :(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2003, 06:27 PM »
Oh, god!  I don't understand why my Yankees would pursue Armando Benitez!  I think my chances of suffering a heart attack have just gone up exponentially.  :(
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2003, 08:17 AM »
Oh, god!  I don't understand why my Yankees would pursue Armando Benitez!  I think my chances of suffering a heart attack have just gone up exponentially.  :(

I hope he blows as many games for the Yankees as he did for the Mets.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2003, 11:55 AM »
Huge Four game series between the Royals and Twins starts tonight at Homerdome

Twins, Sox and Royals are all within a half game of each other.

If the Twins hadn't lost 8 in a row right before the all star break they would be walking away with the division right now because they have really played some good ball post AS break

Looks like the Angels win last year was a fluke...terrible

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2003, 12:55 PM »

I hope he blows as many games for the Yankees as he did for the Mets.

Well, that changed rather quickly.  Frankly, I can't understand why Seattle agreed to take Benitez.

And alas, the Red Sox don't seem to have enough gas in the tank to win the AL East.  They're 7-1/2 games back in the division.  AND, they're 2 games back in the Wild Card.  They really need to turn it on if they're going to catch Oakland.

But, my Yanks appear to be on the verge of winning yet another AL East title.  I just hope the starting pitching can hold up, and Boone breaks out of his slump.

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2003, 01:01 PM »
Yeah, the past two nights have been tough to watch.  The East is pretty much out of the question, but the wild card is still there.  Win tonight - with Pedro pitching - and they're one game back.  

I still think Oakland is going to win the West and Seattle and the BoSox are going to battle for the wild card.

And here's hoping the Yanks are using their good stuff now and get blasted in the playoffs.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DarthWormie

• Youngling
  • Mom always said, don't play ball in the house.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2003, 02:58 PM »
Well, it looks like another pre-Labor Day nose dive for the Red Sox. Thank the maker the Pats kick off the regual season in about  2 and a half weeks.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: September 5, 2003, 04:23 PM »
Twinkies are tied for first...11 games in 2 weeks against the White Sox should decide the division (sorry Royals fans you have no shot, maybe next year)

I'm pulling for the hometowners but don't have much faith because their Bullpen and Staff with the exception of the wonderful Johan Santana have been crap, crap and more crap

And again...I still can't believe this happened

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 5, 2003, 09:52 PM »
The Yanks are getting spanked tonight by the BoSox.  I was hoping that the Yanks would sweep the series, and pretty much lock up the AL East this weekend.  Guess I gotta wait a little longer.

Feedback

Offline DarthWormie

• Youngling
  • Mom always said, don't play ball in the house.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 8, 2003, 09:49 AM »
Well, it looks like another pre-Labor Day nose dive for the Red Sox. Thank the maker the Pats kick off the regual season in about  2 and a half weeks.

Open mouth, insert foot!

Even with the tough loss yesterday, the Sox looked awesome this weekend. Here's hoping they can take care of business over the next 3 weeks and keep the heat on the Yanks.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 8, 2003, 02:07 PM »
I am all jazzed that my Cubbies are actually in the hunt for a playoff spot.  It's the first sign of the Apocolypse but hey it's great!  Yep actually a half game in first place today 9/8.  I hope they can pull it out.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #71 on: September 8, 2003, 05:47 PM »
A dismal year for my defending Champion Angels...   :-\  Being decimated by some big injuries to their key guys was just too much to overcome for the gang.  Oh well!  At least the (ralley) monkey is off our backs and we've finally got one championship in the bag.  Hopefully they'll rebound and give it a better go next season!

As for my underachieving all pitch, no hit Dodgers...  Well, they've been playing some pretty boring and uninspired ball all year, but are somehow still barely in the hunt for the wild card.  I'm not getting my hopes up though.  I just feel very little attachment to this particular group of players for some reason.  Like I said - must be the uninspiring play.  I'll be keeping a more watchful eye on them over the next few weeks as the season winds down though.  Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me...   :-\

It is fun to see so many teams competing for that Wild Card spot though.  Definitely keeps the interest level and fandom at a higher level for many more people, much deeper into the season than the old days, which is a good thing.  I wouldn't mind seeing some of the perennial underdogs (like the Cubs) making some noise this postseason though.  Aside from last years Angels, I'm pretty damned tired of the same ol' teams in the postseason year in, year out!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 8, 2003, 07:01 PM »
Aren't the Dodgers barely above the .500 mark?  If so, that doesn't speak too well for the National League Wild Card race.

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 9, 2003, 11:29 AM »
Aren't the Dodgers barely above the .500 mark?  If so, that doesn't speak too well for the National League Wild Card race.

There are quite a few teams right around .500 in the wild card race.  In fact the Cubs and Astros are just 10 games above .500 but currently tied for 1st place in the central division.  These 2 teams actually have a better chance of winning the division than the Wild Card.   The Giants and Braves are the only 2 teams in the NL that have vastly superior records.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2003, 04:56 PM »
Gigantic game tonight at the Homerdome as the Twins could put some serious hurt on the reeling White Sox by sweeping them and reducing their magic number to 7.  They had to win two which they have but to sweep them might be all she wrote with 9 games left and 7 of them against Detroit.