Author Topic: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated  (Read 75730 times)

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2012, 09:47 PM »
3 left fellas  :D

Sim Aloo
Sy Snootles
Bespin Guard (moustache)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Good point Nick...I've seen that one debated before...my own personal list is:

Lumat
Sim Aloo
Blue Gonk
Death Squad Commander

I'm OK with the Bespin Guard, Hoth Commander and Endor Troops

I think this list is probably closer to the mark, and Lumat just got confirmed. 

We've certainly been over the Death Squad Commander thing enough.  That being said, I'd be fine with things if Hasbro offered the upcoming Imperial Naval Trooper in a grey/olive uniform running change.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2012, 09:19 PM »
So on FB yesterday GH reports that Sim Aloo, Blue Gonk and Mustachioed Guard are on the very short list for the next time Vintage comes back
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:24 PM by Scott »

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Something to look forward to in 2015+.

Offline Spirit of MAC

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2012, 07:58 PM »
So on FB yesterday GH reports that Sim Aloo, Blue Gonk and Mustachioed Guard are on the very short list for the next time Vintage comes back

That was good to see confirmed, however expected.  Color/facial hair variants aside, Sim Aloo was really the only vintage figure left on my list here that was an absolute must have.  It's sounded for years like Hasbro's been interested in polishing off this entire list as well, so I'm sure we'll eventually see the rest of the minor variances get made too.  I'd love to see Hasbro just do a "Vintage-deco" wave similar to what Curto teased for April Fool's a few years back:

Obviously you'd need to add Ponda, Greedo and Momaw into the mix there as well to really round out the set, though they'd obviously be far more ideal in one of those Target vintage 3-packs.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:04 PM by SpIrIt Of MaCe »
Softgoods suck.  Almost as much as the Prequels.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 3, 2018, 12:04 PM »
To pass the time/unwind/get my mind off more pressing matters, I've made lists of random figure stats concerning the original 92(3.)

One stat is that Warok is the only figure that has yet to be released as a single on card.

Setting name updates aside, I think this represents the latest arguable "needs to be updated" from the original 70's/80's line list:

Death Squad Commander/Star Destroyer Commander (solely because of uniform color.)
Power Droid (because of character color)
Bespin Security Guard #1 (the mustache, but I'd take a beard as pictured.)
Imperial Commander (this is an odd one since we have an updated generic black uniformed officer, but Veers is pictured.)
Rebel Commander (Derlin probably covers this one, but the guy on the vintage card has a different uniform.)
Rebel Commando (because the sculpt on the POTF2 one is way too old now.)
Imperial Dignitary (you all know why.)

There are definitely POFT2 figures that should update like EV-9D9, 8D8 and C3PO with detachable limbs, but what we've got, I feel, still holds up.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:25 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2020, 01:17 PM »
It seems as if Hasbro is actively working on whittling down this list.  I think we can safely check off the Power Droid now.  As for the rest?  Some of the remaining items are pretty clear, while others are arguable. 

I'm starting to look at this from the perspective of figures that have modern renditions, but have never been released on a TVC style card - the Bespin Guard(s) come to mind.  And some of the other "modern renditions" are figures which are now over 20 years old - like the aforementioned EV-9D9, 8-D8 and C-3PO with cargo net.

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2020, 11:03 AM »
The idea that there's no Sim Aloo figure has been bugging me for over a decade now.  He creeped me out as a kid... they did two other dignitaries.

Just make a 3 pack of the rest, or a 5-pack with the others being repacked, then re-release Sim Aloo on a vintage card, and be done with it.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2020, 11:26 AM »
The idea that there's no Sim Aloo figure has been bugging me for over a decade now.  He creeped me out as a kid... they did two other dignitaries.

Just make a 3 pack of the rest, or a 5-pack with the others being repacked, then re-release Sim Aloo on a vintage card, and be done with it.

I would love it if they did a three pack like the Skiff Guards, but only have it be three Imperial Dignitaries, each individually carded inside the larger package.

Make it a fan-channel item and be done with them once and for all...

Same thing could be done for the remaining Ewoks. I'm still surprised we don't have an updated Chief Chirpa on TVC cardback yet either...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2020, 01:52 PM »
Same thing could be done for the remaining Ewoks.

They could use the digital file for that new Black Series 6" Teebo sculpt as a base to get some new TVC Ewoks out pretty easy I would think.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2020, 06:09 PM »
Anything... There’s so much good new SW content and the amount of 3.75” product to go with it seems drastically underwhelming.  The new figures they do show are great, but there is so little of it that we’re never going to see all the key characters get made, never mind background or secondary characters at this point.

A year or two from now when there are almost a dozen new properties floating around, I’m worried that we’re going to be seeing like 2 or 3 figures per year for each unless something changes dramatically.  I’d be 100% in favor of bringing a 5 (or 6, 7, or 8) POA line back alongside TVC if that got the volume up. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 06:11 PM by Rob »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2020, 07:22 AM »
We definitely seem to be at a transitional point for the 3.75" figure line.  When Hasbro announced the Celebrate the Saga multipacks they invoked the whole "going in the vault" concept that Disney introduced a while back which induces this mindset of "Get it now, because it's going away!"  So the 5 POA figures are going away, but what does that mean for the scale in general?  Will that mean an uptick in the amount of Vintage Collection figures?  I know that this is anecdotal, but it seems like TVC figures show up, they're usually in quantities of 1 or 2 cases, and they sell out very quickly.  The only ones that I've seen linger a bit longer are the reissues.

Sim Aloo definitely stands out as a figure that should be tackled by Hasbro, and hopefully in this coming year.  I would hope that they could also produce a TVC Emporer Palpatine and put them out in the same wave.  Themed waves can certainly help carry a figure like Sim Aloo, who would ordinarily just look like some pasty guy in a purple robe with a funny hat.

The funny thing is, looking at some of the TVC groups on Facebook and Instagram, even if you made those two figures you just cannot satisfy those guys.  Looking at it, their stance is almost extremist.  And they seem to think that they're being persecuted, and the Black Series is to blame.  I saw someone generate a list of figures that have come out in The Black Series since 2015 that in their opinion have not had TVC equivalents (even if other 3.75" SA versions were produced long ago).  Frankly, it's exhausting!

BUT... I do think that I'm on board with a modern re-do of the Kenner Death Squad Commander.  Someone pointed this out to me a while back and the revelation changed my mind.  The face of the character on the Kenner cardback is pretty distinctive.  But it seemed like the color of the tunic was in question because of the extreme lighting.  Well, that distinct face is pretty recognizable.  Because that same actor turned up in another scene on the Death Star with more neutral lighting.  And in that scene he's got the olive Imperial officer style uniform.  I can't imagine that the wardrobe department would have a significant costume change for a background player like this, so I'm leaning towards this particular character being done in a screen accurate way.

With articulation in general?  I think Hasbro has made tremendous leaps forward with what they can do in this scale.  But it does seem that some characters may not need things like rocker ankles or wrists.  If articulation is approached in a way that's appropriate to the given character I'm all on board if that translates to more new figures.

With all of the new shows coming?  I think they're going to occupy their own space on the calendar without too much overlap.  The Mandalorian has a run of 8 weeks where they air new episodes.  And the Disney Gallery BTS series runs for a few weeks after.  How will that translate to merchandising?  I don't know, because this looks like somewhat uncharted territory.  Right now the release schedule seems to be shaping up something like this:

Q4 2021 - The Book of Boba Fett on Disney+
Q1 2022 - The Mandalorian - season 3 on Disney+
TBD 2022 - Andor - season 1 on Disney+
TBD 2023 - Rogue Squadron - theatrical feature
*POSSIBLY 2021* - The Bad Batch on Disney+ (based on the sizzle reel)
*PROBABLY 2022* - Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ (limited series - beginning production soon)

UNDETERMINED RELEASE DATES
-Untitled Taika Waititi feature
-Ahsoka - limited series on Disney+
-Rangers of the New Republic - new series on Disney+
-Lando - likely limited series on Disney+
-Star Wars Visions - animated shorts on Disney+
-A Droid Story - animated special on Disney+
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 07:39 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback