Author Topic: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated  (Read 75717 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated
« Reply #120 on: January 3, 2011, 11:54 PM »
Until they repaint Momwaw Nadon in blue outfit with cartoony eyes, the vintage will never be complete! Also all possible droid combinations from the Droid Factory set and the vintage compactor monster.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 4, 2011, 02:02 AM »
The Bespin Guard and Sy Snootles on that list are really an exercise in splitting hairs. 

There have been 4 different Bespin guards offered in the modern line.  One of which is clearly aimed at reproducing the vintage black Bespin Guard.  And at least 2 of the modern Bespin guards would be acceptable modern stand-ins for the vintage, moustachioed Bespin guard.  IMHO the Carbon Freeze Chamber pack-in Bespin guard or the POTJ Bespin guard fit that bill.  On this particular topic I don't think every purist would be completely satisfied unless at least TWO more Bespin guards would be made:  one with the mustache like the vintage Kenner figure, and one with the beard like the Bespin guard on the vintage Kenner cardback.

As for Sy Snootles?  Guess what:  a theatrical release version ain't gonna happen.  That is just wishful thinking gone horribly wrong.  It took a major fanboy movement to get the theatrical versions of the OT released on video.  A small group of theatrical release Sy Snootles fans aren't going to get the puppet version released as a figure.  The character has been represented in the modern line, and in the eyes of most REASONABLE PEOPLE that makes it a done deal.  The word "WE" in that article does not represent the views of the rest of the staff of JTA.

As for the others?  They're pretty legit.  And it seems that Hasbro agrees on Kithaba, which may very well be on the way this year.  And we're probably going to get the remaining Ewok eventually.  I don't know how confident Hasbro is with Sim Aloo though.  They seem to be avoiding that one quite a bit.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 4, 2011, 01:30 PM »
.  A small group of theatrical release Sy Snootles fans aren't going to get the puppet version released as a figure. 

Yeah, and Hasbro will never make Willrow Hood or Yarna.

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 4, 2011, 04:40 PM »
I think there is a better chance that Lucasfilm will edit the CGI Sy to have her feather and tusks in the Blu-Ray release than  Hasbro is to make a figure of the puppet version. Especially considering their reluctance to even resculpt the CGI one.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 4, 2011, 04:58 PM »
.  A small group of theatrical release Sy Snootles fans aren't going to get the puppet version released as a figure.  

Yeah, and Hasbro will never make Willrow Hood or Yarna.

I would buy this if we were talking about a character that had NEVER been represented in figure form, ever.  But that is not the case.  This argument is about whether we get a figure based on a puppet or a CGI character.  BIG difference.

And then, look at the history:  the launch of the modern Kenner line in the mid 1990's was no doubt linked to the fact that Lucasfilm was on the verge of releasing the Star Wars Special Editions.  And mind you those Special Edition versions of the OT were the source of the CGI Sy Snootles.  So why would both Kenner (soon to be Hasbro) and Lucas Licensing want to produce a figure that would be based on a puppet from the 1983 theatrical release and not from the 1997 release that was George Lucas' re-imagining of RETURN OF THE JEDI?

This is an argument from a far smaller minority than that which extoled the virtues of Ice Cream Maker Guy and Yarna.  And it is an exercise in finding something to argue about for arguments sake.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2011, 06:20 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 4, 2011, 06:35 PM »
This is an argument from a far smaller minority than that which extoled the virtues of Ice Cream Maker Guy and Yarna.  And it is an exercise in finding something to argue about for arguments sake.

Agreed.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2012, 11:36 AM »
It has been quite a year for the Vintage Updates...Barada, Hoth Soldier, Nikto...we're down to a few...

For Sure
1. Lumat  Rumored for some time in 2012/13
2. Imperial Dignitary Sim Aloo baby

Debatable
1. Blue Gonk An exact replica of the Lars family Power Droid was not made
2. Death Squad Commander The old debate
3. Bespin Guard  Mustache Variant
4. Hoth Commander Mustache Variant
5. Endor Soldier They really have never done the Jumpsuit figure made in the vintage line

I really do not see the need to include Sy Snootles...the changes from Puppet to CGI were minor and they did one...I agree with Nick

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:36 AM by Scott »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Not so sure I agree on the Endor Trooper.  A side-by-side comparison seems in order here:

I think these might be as close as it gets.  Simply because I think the vintage Kenner figure was so simplified that it's quaint in comparison with the POTF2 figure.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2012, 11:53 AM »
Good point Nick...I've seen that one debated before...my own personal list is:

Lumat
Sim Aloo
Blue Gonk
Death Squad Commander

I'm OK with the Bespin Guard, Hoth Commander and Endor Troops

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2012, 12:20 PM »
Just based on the styling...I'd reckon the Vintage Figure was based on the guy on the left:

Jesse might say different...splitting hairs

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Include guys with mustaches and "the probably wasn't in any movie" Death Star Commander as debatable but deny the original  Sy Snootles even that much. You felt the need to bring her up again just to dismiss her?  Even posting photos that make the differences obvious? ::)

Some people want that figure, as much as some people want every barely seen costume variation of Rebel troopers.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2012, 01:22 PM »
He's definitely based on one of the guys with the camo coat, but opened...  The POTF2 figure is based on a guy in the camo coat with it zipped up, who can be seen during the fighting.

To me that's pretty important to the argument as to whether we need them redone though, since they're based on different people seen in the film.

Taking the POTF2 guy out for a moment (though I still want him redone), the Vintage guy is clearly based on the characters with that specific coat opened up, and to date they've not been done in the modern line, so I think that's pretty fair game.

I think that pic is a fair example of who he's based on, however at the briefing I believe some guys are like that as well.  You see the closed hoodie when they land on Endor I believe, and then in the battle someone with it zipped up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2012, 03:16 PM »
The other main difference between the Endor Troopers is the backpacks. Vintage has the bag version and PotF2 has the green Hoth version.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2012, 03:31 PM »

And not a single facial hair on one of them!  :o (Okay, there's Chewie in the picture)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2012, 05:26 PM »
So the criteria for who has been made and who hasn't is now resting on the position of a zipper?  It's great to see how these discussions can come full circle.  Good times!  ;D

Feedback