Author Topic: Phobias...  (Read 14642 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Phobias...
« Reply #75 on: October 1, 2004, 10:58 PM »
How probable is it for a spider to bite a human though? Sometimes it seems as though we're too big for bugs to really notice us. I mean, I know it happens, but don't they usually use their venom in immobilizing their prey? Do they bite with the same intention when their biting a human? Also, when people wake up with a spider bite, is the spider actually trying to extract blood?

With us, it's a defense mechanism.  Given a chance, they'll try to escape first.  When they are cornered, it's all they have left.  Most spider bites are accidental in the sense that people weren't generally antagonizing the spider and in most cases, didn't even know it was there. 

Most people that wake up with a spider bite are usually telling a story.  Most spiders don't inhabit bedrooms, they tend to be too clean and have too much activity.  Most spider bites occur to the extremeties - hands and feet.  People putting on shoes without looking or walking barefoot and stepping on a spider.  Hands are obvious - picking up something.  Of course the other common place to get bitten is on the ass.  That's been declining with indoor plumbing though :P

Hey Bug, remeber that spider I sent you? Your colleuge may have been correct after all. See, my friend obtained that spider from a box he got when some one shipped him some stuff from ebay.
Yeah, he's a pretty bright guy, but he may have had the species wrong.  Probably the right Family and Genus but not the exact version. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Phobias - going to the doctor
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2005, 12:45 PM »
Anyone have any bad phobias?  Like other than spiders/snakes?

My worst one is doctors... when was the last time you went to the doctor?  Or the dentist?

For me, here's a timeline -

1992 - My last visit to the dentist... no cavities then, still think I have healthy teeth.  I threw up when they put "drainer" in my mouth and haven't been back since.

1995 - My last visit to a doctor... had mono, so I had to go.  Got even more sick when I got to the doctor... when they drew blood I puked and had the dry heaves for at least 20 minutes.

1997 - Went to the emergency room to have my right knee drained after it swelled up the size of a pumpkin (had surgery on it in 1994, and in 1997 it suddenly swelled up).  I threw up when they put the needle in my knee.

1999 - Blood drives... these make me sick as hell.  My wife wanted to give blood in college, I went with her and before the nurse even got the needle out, I got sick.  Ran to the bathroom and was sick for over an hour.  Even fainted at a blood drive in high school in 1995 watching a different girlfriend give blood.  I actually turned green and they wanted to call an ambulance.

Straight up, I'm scared of doctors and dentists.  I don't go.  I can get sick with the flu, puke for a week, have a 102 temperature for days, etc and not go.  My wife gets very mad at me.  I basically hate needles... mainly drawing blood.  If I have to get blood work done, I get sick for days in advance and several days after... always sick to my stomach (even typing this makes me woozy).  I lose sleep over it and have bad dreams because I dwell on it.  I'd rather if a doctor needed blood, to break my nose and get it that way.

Anyone else have this phobia?  Or any other phobias?

:P

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Phobias - going to the doctor
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2005, 01:03 PM »
Flying.  I have to be sedated to get on a plane. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2005, 01:17 PM »
Not a particular fear of death, but a fear of dying before doing what I have to do. Like, dying young I suppose.
Plus those hellish tailess whip scorpions... :-X :'(

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2005, 01:52 PM »
My biggest fear is heights.  I have never flown and I never will.  If I absolutely had to, I'd be right there with rebeltrader asking for the strongest sedative they had.

My other biggest fear is worms or bugs somehow burrowing under my skin and laying eggs and then eating their way out.  I go into panic attacks when I see photographs of this type of thing occurring, simulated or not.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2005, 03:29 PM »
My greatest fear is consumption of spoiled food. I constantly check expiration dates, smell and examine any and all food before I consume it, and if there's any doubt, toss it. Unfortunately, my wife likes to buy and horde food that's on sale and our refrigerator is always packed with stuff of varying ages. Luckily, we don't eat any meat, fowl or fish, or even much dairy or eggs, so the chance of the more nasty spoilage is kept to a minimum.

I think this fear originated in my youth when my mom would occasionally pack me a lunch that included a moldy PB&J sandwich. I also became very ill once when I baked up and ate a package of sugar cookie dough that had been sitting out a bit too long. And more recently, I cracked an egg and it was green inside. Hideous.   

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Spiders!!!  I can't stand 'em, no matter how big or small they are.

Also, I hate heights, but that is kind of conditional.  If I'm moving either up or down, it doesn't bother me.  But if I'm at a dead stop, like on a amusement park ride before it drops, that drives me nuts.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2005, 03:40 PM »
Needles-- I don't mind donating/selling plasma or anything, but getting shots just bugs the hell out of me.

Spiders/Snakes-- one's got too many legs, and the other has no legs. Weird, and creepy.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Loopy_Leia

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2005, 06:04 PM »
Hey Kevin, Did you see the Vegas Fear Factor where people were eating those spiders alive? I believe they were the exact same kind you posted. Maybe that would help you get over the phobia.

I'm not sure I have any phobias. I know there are many things that give me the chills, but if I saw that Spider (or a land shark) I'd probably just go the other way.

Snakes.....man, I am scared of them but my friend has one in a cage top of on his TV and I don't mind it being there. I think I'm just scared of the idea of meeting one in the wild that can bite me.  :)

I saw that episode.  Creepy little things!!!!  I don't like spiders either.  They give me the shivers!  I scream and run from the room when I see one.  I usually have to have somebody else kill it because I just can't stand being in the same room with them.  One night I remember reaching over to get something off my stereo speaker and there was a orange spider crawling across it...it was BIG but I can't measure how big it was.  All I know is I kept screaming until somebody came in the room and killed it. 

I also don't like snakes...*shiver*  I saw one in the woods and nearly jumped out of my skin.  I just don't like them!!!!   

I don't mind needles, they don't bother me but if there is a bug?  Get it away from me!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2005, 06:20 PM »
Boy, you guys (and gals  :)) wouldn't like my brother's tarantula much.  He actually lets it crawl across his hand.

Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.   :-[

I've always had a problem with fear of heights and flying, but it's getting much better as I get older.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2005, 06:47 PM »
My problem with heights is that I can go to the Grand Canyon and look over the edge, but I can't go anywhere near the railings at the mall. Wierd, huh?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2005, 01:53 AM »
That is weird!

:P

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2005, 10:49 AM »
My phobia is razor blades.  When I was really young, I saw my dad shaving one morning.  That day we went to a graduation party.  When I went to the bathroom, I saw a straight razor sitting on the sink and decided to do what my dad was doing.  I don't remember anything past grabbing the razor.

I can use razors in a non-shaving capacity with no problem, but I get really anxious even thinking of using one to shave.  I've had to use an electric shaver my whole life.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2005, 01:04 PM »
Bill, that's a very understandable phobia. I'm very nervous about putting sharp things near my face.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 8, 2005, 02:49 PM »
I found out I was claustrophobic when I had to have an MRI on my brain a few months ago.  They asked me and I said I didn't have any problems with it.  Once they put me in the machine I freaked and they couldn't get me out fast enough.  I've had 4 since then and they have to sedate me before I can even get near the machine.

Snakes are my biggest phobia.  Saw one in the front yard last week and me and the kids haven't been outside since. 

Birds in enclosed spaces freak me out too.

I also get very paranoid about spoiled food too.  If meat looks or smells the least bit funny while I'm cooking it I'll throw it out.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(