Author Topic: EE Clone Trooper 4-Packs  (Read 164022 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Trooper 4-Packs!
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2005, 05:48 PM »

If so, I'm gonna have to go yell at Mike for making me shell out a couple o' bills on these things!   :P

Yeah, like you would have had the willpower to not order these anyways.  :P
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Clone Trooper 4 Packs!
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2005, 05:55 PM »
I was referring to Sullenger (who apparently helped facilitate this idea with EE), not you Mikey!   ;)

As for my willpower, I have none when it comes to Star Wars collecting.  I just do what I'm told by Hasbro...   :-\
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 05:57 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2005, 09:48 PM »
I held off ordering these because of the cross border shipping, but now 3 Canadian e-tailers have stepped up the plate and are going to provide these.  Priced between $39.99 and $44.99 CDN: Ages 3 and Up, Legends, and Toy Addict (not yet listed). 

Considering they are $35 US and since I'm a carded kind of guy, I really like the packaging and decided I can live with the Canadian prices.  And with that being said, I ordered one of each set.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2005, 09:52 PM »
The $6-ish price, on the case orders that is, is tolerable I've come to grips with...  Though it's more than $6.25 I've found I think.  $6.75-ish a figure was what our total came to out here in Pittsburgh.  I mighta found a 2nd case I can get in on and get 2 extra white sets (1 BD & 1 Clean).

That's not bad...  Not great, and no 4 in a white mailer price, but it ain't no $10 a figure crock of **** they've been trying.  The extreme variances in price also tell me that either they needed to ALSO offer a completely white case (no officers) or at least offer a 3-set of white Clones for the $6-ish price.  I'd have been pretty content with that I believe.  These gaps in prices are shady though, if you ask me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2005, 10:34 PM »
I agree Jesse, mostly because of what the other Jesse posted.  The guy at ages3andup is a good guy, but unless he's getting a deal on these, $34.99 works out to at least after $39.99 (his selling price) never mind shipping and customs fees, which he won't have a choice on paying.  EE's markup is substantial and there must be another place for other etailers to get them, or they are being offered great discounts.  I guess I could see them eating some costs, but not that much just to increase exposure.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2005, 11:06 PM »
The telling sign on well these sell, is to see how long down the road EE is still selling them. If in 6 months they still have them for sale, you can say that collectors/army builders weren't ready to drop down some good cash for these in sight of the upcoming ROTS onslaught. If in a year from now they still have these for sale, then you can say that it was definitely a bust, because at the price of the old army builder sets these should sell out within a month.

A quick update on these Clone 4-packs:

This is what EE is saying about the Clone 4-pack in their latest e-mail newsletter:

Also, I want to thank you for the overwhelming positive response we've received since announcing our exclusive Hasbro Star Wars Clone Trooper Troop Builder 4-Packs. I strongly urge anyone who wants these to order them now. This limited edition exclusive may be pre-sold out sooner than expected.

Now, take it with a grain of salt because it is in their best interest to make people think that they are almost gone, but if they are telling the truth it would seem like they are doing very well with this by pre-selling out.  Most people thought they'd sell out in like a month at the old price point, but it look like they may sell out sooner than a month even at the higher price point...  :o

It makes me wonder, would EE try to commision a second manufacturing run from Hasbro if they do pre-sell out the 4-packs from the first run?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2005, 12:39 AM »
The telling sign on well these sell, is to see how long down the road EE is still selling them. If in 6 months they still have them for sale, you can say that collectors/army builders weren't ready to drop down some good cash for these in sight of the upcoming ROTS onslaught. If in a year from now they still have these for sale, then you can say that it was definitely a bust, because at the price of the old army builder sets these should sell out within a month.

A quick update on these Clone 4-packs:

This is what EE is saying about the Clone 4-pack in their latest e-mail newsletter:

Also, I want to thank you for the overwhelming positive response we've received since announcing our exclusive Hasbro Star Wars Clone Trooper Troop Builder 4-Packs. I strongly urge anyone who wants these to order them now. This limited edition exclusive may be pre-sold out sooner than expected.

Now, take it with a grain of salt because it is in their best interest to make people think that they are almost gone, but if they are telling the truth it would seem like they are doing very well with this by pre-selling out.  Most people thought they'd sell out in like a month at the old price point, but it look like they may sell out sooner than a month even at the higher price point...  :o

It makes me wonder, would EE try to commision a second manufacturing run from Hasbro if they do pre-sell out the 4-packs from the first run?

Jeff

Jeff,

Sounds very interesting if EE is indeed telling the truth, which they may be, maybe a little stretched though. That brings us to your question, would they commission a 2nd run on the 4packs and if so how well would those sell? Perhaps they don't come close to selling out the 2nd run, because almost everyone who wanted a set already got theirs from the 1st run. Could they lead to a discounted price down the road? That would be nice and that could lead to the 2nd run selling out. Just thinking out loud....

Cheers!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2005, 01:01 AM »

Jeff

I doubt it.  I would think that they'd just consider the sell-out a success, and perhaps use those production numbers towards another potential (different) exclusive in the future.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2005, 01:29 AM »
I wouldn't doubt it, and if it is "limited" (possible, but why the hell limit a set for army building?  Dumber things have happened though) then the price these are ringing in at is at least a little more understandable...  Still not 100% justified to me though, but short production runs have higher start-up costs involved. 

annoying, stupid, and a larger production run would've sold just as well, but it does lend more credence to the price.

Again though, you're right Jeff that it's all in their best interest...  Maybe they're honest with their consumers though?  I dunno.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 01:30 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline darkksith

• Youngling
  • Completest Crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2005, 11:27 PM »
does anyone who already ordered a case of the entertainment earth clone trooper 4-packs need a partner to help split the case. i would want one each of the 4 different 4-packs. i live in michigan. please lmk if interested.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2005, 12:55 AM »
Well I ordered my set, and it comes out to around $10 a figure (I ordered both clean sets). Pretty reasonable, I guess.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2005, 02:43 PM »
So in GH.com's Q&A column the question was posed to Adam Pawlus about the weapons and footholes in the Clones, since Adam's had a hand in the creation of the sets.

The foothole question I completely see as unwarranted, as while I agree that some footholes would be nice, I also see where "retooling" isn't a simple thing you just go in and do and it increases costs...  And in this case I have to think it's relatively unnecessary.

By now I assume you've guessed there's no footholes on these guys like the original SA Clone.

But what perplexes me is the issue of the gun, which Adam Pawlus said is the small Carbine the original SA Clone had, and not the large rifle which was the predominant weapon the Clones used in the film.

I have my theories and reasons explaining to myself why Hasbro did this, but I don't think they're really GOOD reasons beyond sheer laziness...  The footholes I can buy easy as I never thought it was even in question about that, but the weapon's a matter of simply changing the production order for the item I believe, while I think Hasbro simply said "we'll produce more of product # 1138 with deco alterations...  That's it", rather than changing it for accessories as well.  It's not a cost issue really, so I don't see it being anything other than an issue of laziness.

My question posed would've been, "why the hell are these costing $10 a figure when sold as individual packs, instead of being a reasonable $5-$6 a figure except when you buy by the case?", or something to that effect. :) 

I guess it's all in your priorities.

SilverZ

« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2005, 05:40 PM »
I can totally understand the pegholes reasoning. Fine.

I don't like the idea that they are coming with carbines, though. Maybe it comes down to something as small as the fact the original rifles had paint apps on them that fiddled with costs in some way, but I'd take unpainted guns any day, really. I'm swimming in carbines. I have a real need for more rifles.

Hasbro seems to really like doing this. It goes right in hand with their logic of issuing rifles with the Comtech Stormtrooper.

And there is no easy way to get more rifles in a cost-effective way if they aren't included in these sets. Which brings me to another comment...

I'm a little disappointed in Pawlus's suggestions for acquiring rifles that goes a bit far beyond practicality. He's reached a touchy area where he's defending a product he is involved in, by a company that has given him writing work, and as a result his ability to objectively respond to genuine issues is fairly well compromised.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:45 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2005, 07:09 PM »
I can't say it's a practical answer either.

Buying figures for guns = a much higher cost on something that already costs a good bit.

I have extra rifles, so while I'm not completely set on arming my clones, I'm close.  I'm thinking of a secondary method to arm them with rifles too that won't be entirely cost-prohibitive but it may be a while before I get on that...

To me, I agree that a non-painted rifle should've been included.  I'd have liked it much more.  I don't see why they didn't pack BOTH in though, so you could choose.  It seems the more "Hey, we like our customers!" kind of thing to do.

The peghole thing though, while I understand people are annoyed by their lack of pegholes, I still see Hasbro's reasoning for not "fixing" that.  I was never that annoyed by the peghole thing either though so maybe I'm biased.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #119 on: February 2, 2005, 02:39 AM »
To me, I agree that a non-painted rifle should've been included.  I'd have liked it much more.  I don't see why they didn't pack BOTH in though, so you could choose.  It seems the more "Hey, we like our customers!" kind of thing to do.

Silly you for thinking Hasbro cares enough to make an appropiate decision as to which weapon the Clones should come with. As you mentioned earlier, I'm sure it came down to someone saying ok we're making new runs of the Clonetrooper from the Clone Wars line with some new paint apps on the figures. But those who were in charge of making the order never bothered to look into the details of said figure and it was completely overlooked by everyone involved. Poor QA from a customer appreciation level. Matches the oft poor QA from a production level....
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot