Author Topic: Star Wars Gift Cards  (Read 7375 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Star Wars Gift Cards
« on: April 9, 2005, 04:19 AM »
Yeah, this might belong over in the Other Collectibles forum, but since these have been all the rage with the 4/2 figure release, I figured I'd pop it in over here instead...

So, as most of you are probably already aware of, Target was offering a very cool exclusive collectible Target Star Wars gift card this past week.  I'd heard about it, and had planned on grabbing one, but in my laziness I let it slip my mind most of the week.  So today, in a slight panic, I scoped out our 3 closest Targets during lunch, and they were all completely sold out everywhere - long ago according to the cashiers and customer service folks I talked to.  But I hit one more Target on the way home and asked their customer service people, and it turned out they still had a couple of them behind the counter.  So I of course bought them both, for $5 each, which I turned right around and just spent on an extra deluxe figure that I still needed anyway, and wallah - 2 free gift card collectibles!  8)

Now if you haven't seen or heard about the specifics on this thing (like me), it's actually pretty thick - about the size of 6 credit cards stacked together.  That's because it's got electronics built into it, and when you push an area on it, Vader's lightsaber lights up in red and starts humming, and then Vader's famous breathing starts up for several seconds (a windblown picture of Vader is on the front of the thing, in front of a bunch of spewing Lava).

It's a pretty fun and unique little collectible to add to the collection, so I'm glad I was able to track it down finally, before it was too late.  I'd recommend folks try the same this weekend, if they haven't already.  And ask behind the customer service counter for them if you don't see them in the store anywhere.  That might help...

So, who else picked one of these suckers up?

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Re: Target SW Gift Card. You get one?
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2005, 04:45 AM »
Every Target I check, they're out of stock.  Did you actually put money on it or was it a five finger discount?   :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: April 9, 2005, 04:48 AM »
So I of course bought them both, for $5 each, which I turned right around and just spent on an extra deluxe figure that I still needed anyway, and wallah - 2 free gift card collectibles!  8)

;)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2005, 03:51 PM »
I went in yesterday looking for them, and they just laughed at me.

Well, not so much that, but they told me they were long gone. Oh well. I probably would have lost it anyway.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2005, 04:44 PM »
Matt,

Thanks for reminding me.  I went to my local Target and picked up the last two today.

The giftcard is tight, dope, rocks, ths bomb!  Off the heazy for sheazy.

DBK

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2005, 06:48 PM »
Fo' shizzle.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 01:16 AM »
I had forgotten them, but saw them while shopping with my mom. She got me one and one for herself! Ha. And yes, I psent it immediately. Got this stationary thingy with a tin, notepad and light-up pen. And a red Vader telescoping saber.

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 01:45 AM »
I hadn't really heard of it until that morning at Target on April 2nd when one of the other guys in line mentioned them and the manager (?) started handing them out, so I ended up getting one. I used it on the Lava Vader I got, so it was basically two collectibles for the price of one.
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 07:22 PM »
I love this silly thing. I press it all the time just to piss everyone off at work.  I made the mistake of putting $10.00 on one and handing it my daughter....which I will probably never see again  :-\.
Beth

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 08:33 PM »
Yeah, this thing is great, the sound is phenominal.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline SGT. Flint

• Youngling
  • Th'is I... The Price Of Punk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 09:37 PM »
I just scored one just 1 hour ago, put $7 on it because I was thinking... I buy 1 figure 5.99+ tax and have a little under a dollar left

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 11:55 AM »
I just about picked one up the first weekend, and probably should have since they are long sold out now.  I told my wife I wanted to go check if they had those, and just put $5-7 on it to buy a figure and keep the card, and she laughed.  It probably does sound a little ridiculous ;), but it is a neat gift card.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 01:04 PM »
I got one of these in the mail on Saturday.   :)

Very cool gift card.  I was surprised at how thick it actually was.  Very nice for a "free" gift card.

I think it'll make a nice addition to the Star Wars room...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 09:46 PM »
I really enjoy playing with this thing, but I wonder how long the battery would last.
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 01:44 AM »
I really enjoy playing with this thing, but I wonder how long the battery would last.

It's got screws on the back. Hopefully you can put a new button cell in it.