Author Topic: JD observation  (Read 8672 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
JD observation
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:32 AM »
I've been monitoring the touchy situation in the Why there are no pictures of Bly thread and it finally hit me what is familliar about the atmosphere of this sight. JD is college compared to all the other sights being High school.

Think about it. I don't know about you, but high school was kind of rough in that a lot of people were just immature and the teachers in general just didn't care. When college came around, everyone kind of bonded togeather and became more tollerant of others. I specifically remember the effort that people made to accept everyone without exception, and that's the feeling I get around here, an honest effort to make eachother as welcome as possible, even durring stressful situations.

Cheers.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Re: JD observation
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Is not:-*
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 01:07 PM »
I agree Darth Anton, this is almost like a fraternity atmosphere.

:P

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Thanks to the collective efforts of all those good and true in this world.....with enough beer. And chicken wings I would suppose. ;)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 02:05 PM »
One of the things that I find really refreshing here is that if a person goes "out of bounds" on something, the mods will actually contact the person, point it out to them, and try to rectify the situation before a flame war starts.  Threads that seem as if they may devolve into a more hostile atmosphere are kept open until other measures are taken to defuse the problem.  And best of all, the mods and staff here actually TAKE PART IN THE DISCUSSIONS and if you weren't able to see that they were staff/mods in their profile, you'd never be able to tell the difference between them and anyone else.  There is no hierarchy amongst the posters here (forum rankings or not) and it feels like everyone has an equal chance to contribute.

Other sites (yeah, that one, too) will just lock/close a thread with no explanation, or delete it from the board entirely.  The person who is "guilty" of ******** up the thread will be banned or suspended with no explanation, and the mods/admins go back to their ivory tower, uncontactable by the plebians, and their word is infallible.  Some members of other sites do not take part in their message board communities at all, and that kind of bothers me, because it's like they see themselves as "above" the rest of collectors.  But I digress.

Actually, I'd equate JD to an Ivy League school, while sites like "that other site" are like Romper Room.  I think that we're all intelligent people here, and we respect others who post here.  Sure there are little jabs thrown back and forth between people, but it all seems to be done in good humor, and it's probably the most mature SW collecting forum on the web, and I feel really appreciative to the staff for giving us a place to indulge our inner children in an adult manner.

Except for JediMAC, who gave me cooties.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 02:05 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 03:10 PM »
If the mods here get punctuation happy, start having a thread for every single figure with  a :o in front of it or start new threads and close similar older threads so their's can be the "official" thread, I'm leaving.

I don't think that's going to happen, so I think I'll be ok.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 03:12 PM »
Other than the staff (and that guy from New England) I pretty much like it here.

Oh yeah, that DP guy sort of bugs me too, can't quite put my finger on it.

Edit: Forgot about all the damn North of the Border folks too. Too much hair for my liking  >:(
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:13 PM by jjks »

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 03:18 PM »

Except for JediMAC, who gave me cooties.  ;)
Consider yourself lucky... what he gave me took 6 weeks to get rid of and a special cream...
;)
So, if this is a fraternity, what about us females? 
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 03:27 PM »
Other than the staff (and that guy from New England) I pretty much like it here.

Yeah those New Englanders are ********.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 03:59 PM »
Yes, this site is pretty cool.  Not only for it's members (especially the ones from Iowa) but for the most part, the posts are easy to read and understand.

Education goes a long way....no child left behind!   :-*

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Yes, this site is pretty cool...(especially the ones from Iowa)

Actually, we've been considering banning 2 or 3 of them.   :-*

So, if this is a fraternity, what about us females?  

Are you kidding?  The females are the best part, which would make us a, uh, maternity?   :P

Other than the staff I pretty much like it here.

Edit: Forgot about all the damn North of the Border folks too. Too much hair for my liking >:(

Damn, two strikes against me - you must really hate me.   :'(   ;)

If the mods here ... close similar older threads so theirs can be the "official" thread, I'm leaving.

I'm sorry, we'll have to lock this, there is already an offical JD Observation thread. 

JD is college compared to all the other sights being High school.

Actually, I'd equate JD to an Ivy League school, while sites like "that other site" are like Romper Room.

Please send your tuition money to the JD School of Etiquette.  But don't worry about Professor Matt Colman, he's been fired for inappropriately touching some of the students.   :-*

Is not. :-*

Is too:P

« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 04:02 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 06:11 PM »
Oh yeah, that DP guy sort of bugs me too, can't quite put my finger on it.

I don't know what you're complaining about.  You told me you were interested in selling Amway.  If I'd known I would have to deal with these wild claims of you getting 400 calls a day from people wanting cheap laundry detergent, I never would have bothered to sign you up for their mailing list.  :P

If you're talking about Deanpaul, however, uhh...don't answer your phone for a few weeks until things calm down.    ;)

I'm sorry, we'll have to lock this, there is already an offical JD Observation thread.

You wouldn't be locking anything if it was your name as the first poster in the thread.   :P

Is too. :P

Nun-unh!  >:(

(sarcasm is heavily in effect here)  ;D

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 06:37 PM »
Pft, man this site sucks. Let them have their "Cheers". I'd rather hang out here with all my supre cool peeps here at _____  ;D

====
Eh, yeah. I'm thankfully I've stuck it out here for 2 years...uh, wait, wasn't I supposed to bolster the egos of the entire membership? Crap. Uh...JD IS Star Wars? No...eh.

Hm. Ok then.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 06:58 PM »
You know what I haven't had in a long time? Big League Chew.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 07:40 PM »
One of the things that I find really refreshing here is that if a person goes "out of bounds" on something, the mods will actually contact the person, point it out to them, and try to rectify the situation before a flame war starts. Threads that seem as if they may devolve into a more hostile atmosphere are kept open until other measures are taken to defuse the problem.

One reason this is possible is because this is a pretty small site (1000 registered members). At other sites with thousands or more members (SW.com, another board I frequent, has over 7 MILLION registered but most don't use the boards) it's easier to just ban someone back to the Stone Age and move on. More will pop right up like in Whack-A-Mole. Whatever an individual mod's inclination, it's not practical to personally contact each troublemaker and talk it through.

It's also a self-segregating thing--like-minded (in this case smart, mature, and ARTICULATE :-*) people will congegrate together while others will just drift away, and vice versa.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)