Author Topic: RotS ARC-170  (Read 38447 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: RotS ARC-170
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 03:46 PM »
Ok, I got to thinking.  Maybe just the one side of it has the screw holes.  Make sense?  If you look at the shots with the screws, from what I see it's always one side of the ship.

The pics that don't show any holes are always the other side of the ship. 

There could be more pics out there that I haven't seen though.  Who knows...

Can anyone shed some more light on this?

:P

CHEWIE is correct - the shots from the Cargo bay and from the packaging both show the Port-side of the ARC-170 and the hanging shot in this thread is the Starboard-side of the ARC-170.

I still think that it is the prototype that is screwed together and the mass-production one will be simply glued pegs.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 11:33 PM »
I'd be very surprised if the production version's any different than that.  Screw ports in a vehicle are every bit a part of the sculpt, and whether the Toy Fair one with the attrocious screwholes is a hardcopy or not it still is 99% likely those holes will be there.

The question is how they can be covered up now more than anything...  Hasbro hasn't glued a ship together yet though, that I can think of anyway, so I'd not hold much hope for that.  The mold toolings would have to be completely different for that to happen and those holes not to be there.

Plugs would be nice, but not Hasbro's style I'm thinking.  :-\

As far as my issues with scale, the right side wing cannon extends BEYOND the nose of the ship.  That's just wrong...  This thing's all over the place with scale as much as the POTF2 X-Wing is.  I don't believe there's any reason this should run $80+ in cost, especially considering the sheer # of these Hasbro is going to inevitably sell with it being a general release item and not an exclusive (not to mention potential future repaints/reissues of it).

Like I've always said, if I can get a perfect 1:18 scale P-38 Lightning Interceptor, I should be able to get STar Wars fighters to-scale too...  This one I'm not 100% sure on that motto I have, since the ARC's actual dimensions are a bit of a mystery yet, but it looks like it's smaller than the FX X-Wing at this point, which is just wrong for a 3-seater fighter.

Hell, it's as big as the Jedi Fighters which are smaller than it in the movie...  That looks odd to me. 

To me, Hasbro can do better and I think they'd see a better reaction on vehicles in general if they tried a little harder.  Kids attention spans don't stick long enough to a toyline that the vehicles matter anymore I think...  At least not with Star Wars it seems.  Of course this could be a surprise hit...  The Gunship wasn't though, and that (even underscaled) I thought of as a REALLY nice toy for even the $40 pricetag.  This I have a lot lesser opinion of myself.

We'll see though.  Those screwholes seem so blatantly noticeable that you'd think a sticker sheet may cover them, or plugs...  I dunno.  Stickers would be the most hopeful thing anyone could want right now, like Deanpaul mentioned I believe.

If not, maybe someone will make a printable sheet people could just print up that matches the colors around each screwhole.  It'd appease the people who don't like the way it looks anyway and that's a pretty big step incase Hasbro just leaves it that way.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 10:38 AM »
The screwholes just seem so overdone... the big X-Wing didn't have any like that, did it?

I don't see why they would need to make it like this.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 10:47 AM »
The screwholes just seem so overdone... the big X-Wing didn't have any like that, did it?

I don't see why they would need to make it like this.

While I don't have the bigger X-Wing handy, I did take a look at the ROTS Jedi Starfighter and the underbelly of that toy is loaded with screw holes. You don't mind it as much 'case it's the bottom of the ship.

I think the narrow fuselage (sp?) of the ARC-170 and the numerous cockpits prevent the toy from being assembled top-down, but instead two halves left/right and that's why one side has so many screw holes.

You would think Hasbro would be more inclined to hide them since they are on the side of the ship and I'm still going to hold out hope that the actual product toy looks good from both sides, but I'm not going to be surprised if it doesn't.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 10:51 AM »
Yeah, I do think the big X-Wing had some screws on the bottom - that was fine. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 01:00 AM »
They didn't seem as numerous on the FX X-Wing sculpt either...  The ARC looks like someone took a tommy gun to it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 10:51 AM »
Hmmm... you just gave me an idea Jesse.  Maybe I'll customize an ARC-170 to look like it got all shot up.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 10:56 AM »
I think the sticker idea is not a bad one for a "quick fix" myself...  Problem is finding someone who wants to make a bunch of discs in a color that matches the ARC exactly. 

Oh, and then host it too.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 12:27 PM »
I definatly want the arc-170 ship, though I do wish they could hide the screw holes better, it's still a very cool looking ship
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS - Large Vehicle Assortment
« Reply #24 on: March 2, 2005, 10:04 AM »
Another Hasbro update today with the Republic Gunship and ARC-170 Fighter.

Both look good to me. Hmmm, no screw holes in those pic's. Could be promo shots.

Thanks. Dale.

The ARC image shows the non-screw hole side of the ship though... The screws were all on the other side of the ship.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 06:36 PM by JediMAC »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 2, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Yeah, your right on that. Just wish they posted different views of the ships.  :-\

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: March 2, 2005, 10:16 AM »
Yeah, that's what worries me about the screwhole talk...

EVERY promo picture I've seen uses the "left" hand side of the ship (from the pilots POV).

If they aren't taking ANY pictures for promo use on the other side, there has to be a reason, and the number of ugly screwholes is probably the reason...  :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 2, 2005, 10:21 AM »
Here's the other side:

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Arc Starfighter - Best Vehicle for ROTS?
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 06:21 PM »
I guess when we display these in our collections, we'll have to show the left side too.   ::)

I think you're right Jeff, if they're not showing the left side in any promo shots, it's because they know it's the less appealing side, obviously because of those stupid screwholes. 

But in Rob's pic, you can see when the ship is viewed from the right side, if it's at an angle, the screwholes actually don't seem that bad. 

I will have at least one of these for my collection.   8)

I just received mine from UPS tonight.  I plan on ripping it open after my little one goes to sleep.  Ill throw some feedback here tomorrow, so if anyone has any questions feel free to post em here.  One word: SWEET.  This thing looks awesome and is bigger than I thought.  Stay tuned ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 06:39 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

Re: Arc Starfighter - Best Vehicle for ROTS?
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 06:27 PM »
I'd def love to hear more about the scale in comparison to other vehicles, including the ROTS Jedi Starfighters. Does it look correct when compared to the shots we've seen from the film? Love to hear more!

This is the vehicle I'm personally most excited to get.