Author Topic: Carded Wedge, finally!  (Read 53253 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Wedge!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 02:31 PM »
Yeah this is just stupid. If it was a new sculpt (or even one of the kitbashed ones described above) I would have at least considered it. But if they think I'll pay $20+ (including shipping) for this thing, they're further gone than I suspected.

No offense to anyone who buys this, but if you do it only ensures we'll get more crap like this in the future.

"Just Say No!" ;)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 02:38 PM »
I'm passing, even though I don't have snowspeeder Wedge.  I only bought one MF CC (on clearance for $7) and it was to get the Scanning Tech.  If I want a Wedge to fly my second snowspeeder, I'm sure I can get a cheap one on ebay.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Boy are they batting a thousand!  ::) Like it was said before I would of thought they would use a more recent sculpt like the CS Wedge. Its far superior that the steroid CC one. I feel like its 2004 all over again.
I remember my dream now.

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 03:52 PM »
Is there another shipping option other then fedex for us Canadians, also I've never ordered from starwarsshop do hyperspace members get any discount?.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Easy pass for me.... totally asinine decision Hasbro.

:P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 04:05 PM »
Yep same here.  That is nothing but a damn joke.  I can't even believe they bothered making this an exclusive.  If you are going to do the rehash route then just make this figure available to all retail outlets. 

There is nothing special about this Wedge figure unless you are jazzed about the trading card?  Wow.  What a favor you did for us on this one Hasbro.  Thanks but I will keep my $20 and spend it on something deserving. 

Once again it's a decent idea by Hasbro but extremely bad in the execution. 

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 04:06 PM »
But it has a FREE collectable Topps trading card!!!

and it comes in a protective CASE!  that's worth double a typical figure + shipping. =p

My fears for the future grow, a dark shadow is cast across the galaxy.
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Okay, I can't be the only one who sees the humor behind how much Hasbro and SWS.com are charging for this.  As has been said, for us Americans, it's going to end up being 20 bucks per figure for Wedge in a fancy clamshell case. 

The humor part is that the Wedge, when he was released back in 1997 or so, also cost 20 bucks at retail.  But then, he came with a (poorly designed and executed) carrying case.  Now the case is gone, but you still get to pay 20 bucks for him!  Great move Hasbro! 

Seriously, if Hasbro ever reads this, are you intentionally trying to destroy the line and any interest that collectors or the general public have left in it?  If so, you're doing a bang-up job.   >:(

That being said, I agree with Jared completely: **** Hasbro.  Those human paraquats.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 04:19 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 04:20 PM »
It looks like Entertainment Earth has this up for preorder now as well, with a slightly cheaper $12.99 price (depending on shipping).

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 04:23 PM »
I think it is important to note that the StarWarsShop.com info says:

"Rebel hero Wedge Antilles is available as a carded figure exclusively through online retailers. "

"you will not find this bundle offered anywhere else! Remember, this figure cannot be purchased through traditional mass merchant retailers -- it is an internet exclusive."

The only place they really claim they have an exclusive is with the "bundle" of Wedge, Case, and Topps card they are offering.  There is still the chance that another place may carry Carded Wedge without the junk for a cheaper price...  maybe we just haven't heard from them yet.   ;)

edit: D'oh!  Brian beat me to it...

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 04:24 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 04:29 PM »

The humor part is that the Wedge, when he was released back in 1997 or so, also cost 20 bucks at retail.  But then, he came with a (poorly designed and executed) carrying case.  Now the case is gone, but you still get to pay 20 bucks for him!  Great move Hasbro! 

That is funny! But the only reason I bought it in 97 was for the figure. (I bought it twice since there was a paint variant for him as well) and I never once used the falcon as a carrying case. I'm a lemming. :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 04:46 PM »
That 1997 Wedge was fair for its time.

But after the VOTC and ROTS lines, rehashing anything from before 2001 is unacceptable.

Spuffy's going to hate this. He wants a new carded Wedge badly, and this is likely all we'll ever get now.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 07:10 PM »
I dont really need it, but i ordered it anyway. i guess it would be nice to have it carded.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 09:42 PM »
Why, Hasbro, why?  Why do you hate Wedge so much?   ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 10:32 PM »
I actually laughed when I read about that Wedge figure on our front page.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up for a new figure...  Even one cobbled out of newer parts.  I'll just work on the assumption that's it, and you're paying for the spiffy cards he has.

That's funny though...  Just seeing that thing POTENTIALLY make it back to retail is funny. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77