Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277756 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #1065 on: February 5, 2005, 01:27 PM »
I scored a Hama and a Citadel Guard at Sam Goody today. So I suggest checking there for LOTR figures.

They also had the figures with the sound bases, but the sound was terrible, so I didn't buy any. The long-delayed Superposable Strider is also shipping with these, but I didn't find one.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1066 on: February 5, 2005, 09:27 PM »
Thanks for the tip on these, Ben.  For the second time in a week I cleaned house on these.  Now all I need are FOTR 4.   :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 6, 2005, 04:26 AM »
The thing that blew me away is that Sam Goody's LOTR figures are cheaper than Target's. Amazing.

I also hit the CF Sam Goody trying to find that SP Strider (no dice) and they had a huge area set up for them.

I'd be stoked if Sam Goody started carrying this line regularly. That place is a better toy store than TRU now. :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1068 on: February 6, 2005, 05:50 AM »
No kidding.  I went to both as well, hoping for FOTR, but oh well.  It's just a matter of time now.  Plus, they had the trenchcoat Hellboy I'd been looking for since last year.  If only they'd carry Buffy...

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 6, 2005, 06:14 AM »
Greetings,

I only just got Gamling in the mail on Friday, but it was the Canadian packaging so there wasn’t any character bio info on the back.  Could someone post what’s printed on the US cardback, or perhaps provide a link to a photo of the text?

Many thanks  :)
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 6, 2005, 01:46 PM »
Gamling in Rohan Armor with Weapons

A loyal soldier of Rohan and member of King Theoden's royal guard, Gamling is an experienced warrior. During the fateful siege of Helm's Deep the soldier barely leaves his lord's side. He is skilled with both lance and sword, and brings to the protection of the embattled fortress his years of experience defending the fields of Rohan from incursions by its enemies, the Orcs and Dunlending Wildmen of the southern Misty Mountains.

-----------
At least these card write-ups aren't nearly as lame as the OTC ones were. :)

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 6, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Very true! 

Cheers for posting the text :)
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 11, 2005, 01:17 AM »
Friggin' sweet.

The Outer Reaches is now taking preorders for solid cases of those rotocast Attack Trolls. They're also taking preorders for single versions.

I know they're twice retail, but it's still better than ebay's prices. I haven't decided if I'm going for a case or just one. There's three in a case, which is a little weird.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1073 on: February 11, 2005, 02:15 AM »
I got quite a haul tonight at Suncoast for my brother and a couple for me too...

I got Cole these figures:

-SP Boromir
-SP Strider
-Shagrat
-The Orc with the tied up Frodo accessory
-Smeagol (prologue)
-Theoden's son
-Gandalf the Grey (Poseable one)

And they had more but I was short on fundage...  I got a boromir and Strider for myself too.  Fantastic figures.

They had a couple Legolas figures (FOTR and TTT) that I wasn't familiar with...  They seemed better than the earlier versions but these figures look so much alike sometimes that I just can't tell.

They had Sam in armor too with a talking rock...  He looked "new" to me for some reason.

no Shelob, and the Orcs were limited compared to other figures...  :(  I wanted a Shagrat but I skipped him (they had one left).

Suncoast was only $6 a figure too, which shocked me considering everywhere else except maybe WM is the same price.  I thought Suncoast would reem me on the price but I guess not.

Oh, and got a VOTC Stormie at KB...  I bit the $2-$3 mark-up for this lone Stormie. :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 11, 2005, 09:52 AM »
They had Sam in armor too with a talking rock...  He looked "new" to me for some reason.

He was released before Jesse, but only in the original, larger packaging.  And he didn't come with the rock in that package, so it's kind of a nice piece  - a good figure with a bigger accessory than originally released and for less money. 

I agree with you on the Legolas figures as well.  He's one I still haven't selected a figure for, but sometimes I wonder why as they mostly look the same.  I'm leaning towards the skateboard version, but like the one with the two daggers as well. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1075 on: February 12, 2005, 04:53 AM »
Yeah I can't tell the differences with them to pick the most articulated one...  Sculpts are all over the place with this line so I can't say one's more accurate to the actor either.

I suppose if I picked one I'd want him to have the most articulation and accessories...  Of course there's those tiny costume variances too, like the greives and things, that changed between the films.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 13, 2005, 02:02 AM »
Picked up a SP Strider at Suncoast today. It's all sorts of neat. I thought I'd be getting another loose-joint monstrosity like the SP Helm's Deep Aragorn, but this one wisely skipped the stupid torso joint and features the ratchet joints for the elbow articulation.

Plus the figure itself just looks better than that first Strider in the LOTR line. The cloak looks more like a cloak, plus the sword isn't all droopy.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. The face still doesn't look like Viggo Mortensen, though. He must have one of those Mark Hamill faces that can't be replicated in plastic.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 24, 2005, 10:28 AM »
Didn't seem to be a lot of buzz around the Lord of the Rings showings at Toy Fair this year, but you can take a look at what was shown right HERE and HERE.  Not a whole lot on display, but a few nice looking new figures, and a bunch of box sets the way it looks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 10:33 AM by mosnab »

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 24, 2005, 12:14 PM »
Saw some cool LOTR at Toy Fair.  The carded figures I saw were:

Gothmog
Mount Doom Frodo
Mount Doom Sam
Electronic Eye of Sauron
Dagger throwing Legolas

And the boxed sets I saw were:

Shelob with Frodo and Sam

Elves of Middle Earth mockup box with:
Prologue Elven Warrior
Coronation Arwen
Council Elrond
Gil Galad
Legolas
Haldir (looks like the Helm's Deep one)

Also, got some awesome news from NECA.  They're 20 or so inch tall Balrog is due out later this year.  AND, it'll be in scale with the Toy Biz line of figures.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 26, 2005, 09:20 PM »
Nooz on the NECA Balrog.

It's got a 42" wingspan, limited to 5000 pieces, and will cost about $90-100 American.

If I find a place to put it, I think I'll need my head examined because I dropped $100 on it. I want it, but $100 is just too goddamn much.