Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277863 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #1095 on: May 12, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I saw the Pellenor Fields set the other night.  Very nice set, definitely.  Probably one of the best box sets of the bunch.  I'll pick it up in a few weeks.  I'm not in much of a rush for LOTR lately.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1096 on: May 12, 2005, 11:09 PM »
I saw the Pellenor Fields set the other night.  Very nice set, definitely.  Probably one of the best box sets of the bunch.  I'll pick it up in a few weeks.  I'm not in much of a rush for LOTR lately.

Me either, I'll still be buying stuff but the market is a lot easier now (except for the damn 1 per case crap...damn you Toy Biz!)  I really think we're near the end here.  I'm seeing the same stuff over and over at TRU, Target and Wally

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 13, 2005, 03:16 PM »
I actually caved today when I saw Galadriel Entranced.  One impulse buy for the day.

Feedback

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 13, 2005, 03:41 PM »
I actually caved today when I saw Galadriel Entranced.  One impulse buy for the day.

Where did you find her? 
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1099 on: May 13, 2005, 03:50 PM »
I've seen that Wave at Suncoast

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 13, 2005, 04:30 PM »
We've completely stalled on the basic figures up here :-\  After  a great run of getting things prior to the US, all the pegs are filled up with older junk - SP Boromir wave, Denethor, etc.  All stores are crammed up, it's quite tragic really. 

This line continues to give me fits though.  I just don't know what to do with it.  I have a fair number of figures, but still missing some Hobbitses and a decent Aragorn (is there such a thing?) and even a Legolas.  I've got a Pelennor Fields set in the trunk, but doubt I'll keep it. 

The line seems very, very close to death as well.  Store product locally isn't moving at all (mostly due to re-orders of previously shipped waves) but it seems pretty quiet for the most part on ebay too.  Wacky.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1101 on: May 13, 2005, 04:32 PM »
The only reason I keep buying stuff is I liken this to the POTF era of SW.  Not a whole lot of product after a relatively sucessful product run.  Might be worth something down the line (10-15 years from now), unlike the 8 Gollums I have :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 13, 2005, 04:47 PM »
Yeah, except that they don't understand the Lucas Brand marketing concept.  They already released the SE versions of the film :P  I guess they can come back with 3D versions, that might be cool. 

The frustration has really hit though since I'm packing all my stuff up.  I haven't room to display a line I really like (Marvel Legends) so a line that I've only marginally gotten into is getting really short shrift. 

Great stuff but I have two regrets:

I wish I'd collected a limited bit of the AOME rather than the larger 6" figures.  Considerably cheaper and less space consuming. 

I wish they'd released these as 3 3/4 figures instead of the 6" scale.  Again for size comparison, but also to ramp up the competition for Hasbro and show them what could be done at that scale for a reasonable price.  Some of the larger pieces, such as the Fell Beast, would have been much more manageable too.  I'd go so far as to say I probably would have shot for being a loose completeist on the line had the scale been different :-\

And before you ask, no, I don't need another Gollum. :P  You should have sent one to Jamie.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 14, 2005, 12:42 AM »

Where did you find her? 

TRU.  Actually saw that wave at 2 stores today.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1104 on: May 14, 2005, 03:07 AM »
I wish they'd released these as 3 3/4 figures instead of the 6" scale.  Again for size comparison, but also to ramp up the competition for Hasbro and show them what could be done at that scale for a reasonable price.  Some of the larger pieces, such as the Fell Beast, would have been much more manageable too.  I'd go so far as to say I probably would have shot for being a loose completeist on the line had the scale been different :-\

This I could NOT have agreed with more.  The LOTR line's fate is tied to its scale I think.  There is a rich world to delve into with action figures, but the almost double size figures limits the possibilities with the line...

Playsets, army builders, "beasts" and the like, are all better suited to a 3.75" line (or smaller, but I think 3.75"/1:18 offers the best of both worlds with articulation AND fun toys).  I agree that the line's end is really within vision at this point...  And that's a shame because it had potential to be more than it was really.

I just nabbed a couple figs for my brother tonight at TRU...  I can't help but look at what I do have in my own collection though, and wonder how great (and diverse) an Orc army would look in 3.75" scale, or how the Fell woudl be about to-scale if the figures were smaller...  Or how a Balrog wouldn't have been such an outrageous thing to ask for...

Dreams of a Gondorian and Rohirrim army (mounted ROhirrim too!) are just that though...  dreams.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 16, 2005, 09:38 AM »
Isn't  the 3¾ scale becoming an endangered species anyway?  Everything seems to be going 6" or 8" or so.  I always wish new lines would be 3¾, but I don't know of any. (Not that there aren't any - it just seems like the stuff I am interested in is always in a bigger scale.) I wish LOTR would keep going for several more waves. Maybe its just indicative of the way toys and movie promotions go nowadays - make a quick flash, and then move on to next year's blockbuster. SW being the obvious exception to that.

I REALLY want this Galadriel and Flaming Ringwraith. I keep thinking surely I'll see them, but its really getting to be slim pickings. I did see the Legolas Council figure at Wal-mart, so maybe there's hope for more waves there.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1106 on: May 16, 2005, 09:41 AM »
I think that is a new Assortment case because I saw the same Legolas there.  I see Target has dropped LOTR all together, something I hadn't really noticed before.  Maybe it will come back with the Epic Trilogy assortment (like The Simpsons seemed to come and go for a while there)

My only real need is the Galadriel and then the Red Cards when they come out real soon.  I may pick up SA Strider as well

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 16, 2005, 11:51 AM »
The new Fellowship assortment includes the following figures:

Galadriel Entranced
Flaming Ring Wraith (electronic)
Weathertop Strider (electronic)
Council Legolas
Weathertop Frodo (a reissue of the first Frodo)

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1108 on: May 16, 2005, 11:53 AM »
Yeah, but there is a new "Best Of" assortment that is hitting Wal Mart as well, I've seen it twice now and both times I get excited and there is no Galadriel.  It looks like:

Council Legolas
Boromir SA
Strider SA
Hama?
Frodo?

I'll check to see if I can find confirmation somewhere

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1109 on: May 30, 2005, 11:16 PM »
Did lots of figure opening this weekend, especially the pile or LOTR I had, going back to last winter I finally cracked the FOTR Isildur wave and the latest ROTK figs.  I'm really digging Gothmog, he's friggin huge!

The last TTT should be here soon because the Epic Trilogy stuff is due late next month