Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277796 times)

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
  • On a computer far...far away....
    • View Profile
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #1140 on: July 10, 2005, 11:24 AM »
Don't let us ruin your spending fun.  I'm only 10 minutes away from Toys R Us, Suncoast, and 3 Walmarts.  Chances are I can find something easily.  45 minutes would be a long drive.  I'm not sure what gas costs where you are, but here its expensive for what we are used to.  I would probably buy a line over the net if I were in your shoes.  With shipping you pay, what, around 9 bucks a figure?  A bit high, but then again we are buying toys so its not like logic has a place here right?   ;)  I'll buy another Uruk if I come across it today.  That way I can send you a picture of me playing with 2 of them.  ;D
Have you ever wondered what a love child between Yoda and a wookie would look like?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1141 on: July 12, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Found a boxed set called "Battle at Shelob's Lair" at WM tonight. Three figures: Shelob (duh) Shelob's Lair Frodo (double duh) and a SP Sam. Since I had all these figures, I passed, but if you missed any of 'em, there you go. I didn't check to see how much it was, but if it's above $15-17, it'd be a ripoff.

Now I hope that gift set with the rotocast Troll comes to these shores. I've been sorely lacking in Troll purchases in this line.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: July 15, 2005, 05:58 PM »
Found TTT wave 5 today, and promptly canceled my preorder with Toywiz.

I couldn't believe how many cases I found. Of course, the Uruk were pretty well picked through, but I scored two, so that's good. (One for me, one for Spuffy.)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1143 on: July 16, 2005, 01:41 PM »
I found these same figures at TRU, I guess they're the same anyway.  Nabbed the last Uruk Hai for my brother...  Couldn't tell if the Aragorn was a new figure, so I got him too...  Gandalf I picked up as well, and Aged Theoden.

Nice figures but I think I'm gonna sell my collection off to my bro...  No space anymore.  And trolls just fill shelves way too much.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 16, 2005, 09:38 PM »
I'm curious.  Being that the line sounds like it will die soon enough, what do you think the value would be?  I told my lovely and patient wife that some day they will be worth something.  After spending at least $600, I would love to tell her that I'm right.  What do you all think?  I don't know how to go about pricing them. 
Oh, and do you guys know how to tell which Frodo in LOTR is which?  I am trying to figure out wave 5.  If you've seen one Frodo, you've seen them all.  Its driving me nuts.  Any help would be great.
Have you ever wondered what a love child between Yoda and a wookie would look like?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1145 on: July 17, 2005, 12:11 AM »
Well...

I have pretty much all of the LOTR figures outside of the Mouth of Sauron and a few of the extra Sams and Frodos and Aragorns out there.  And to be honest, I don't think they'll be worth a whole lot of money down the road.  I'm going through the same dilemma right now with my Simpsons collection.  It is mint, loose and complete from Homer to the Mail Away Lenny.  Do I keep it (even though its stored and hasn't seen the light of day in 5 months).  Do I sell and make back probably half of what I shelled out originally.  And if I do sell...one big lot or many smaller ones. 

Dead toy lines of the late 90's and 2000's may have some interest down the line but then again, maybe not.  The numbers of figures and known collectibility changes everything from the toys of the 70's and 80's. 

No sign of any new LOTR product at SDCC means bad, bad things methinks :-X

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 17, 2005, 04:07 AM »
Toy Biz only has the license till about March of next year, so beyond the two series of Epic, I don't forsee anything else to this line. I think they've had a great run, but it can be easily argued retailers killed this line. I'd be willing to buy more, but the endless repacks of Frodo, Aragorn, and Legolas have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Just another example of too many lame figures killing a line.

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 17, 2005, 09:21 AM »
I have 10 more to get and I have all the singles.  Unfortunately I need a Peter Jackson and that will cost me.  I don't suppose any of you have one just sitting around unopened?  :)  I have to admit.  This is kind of a frustrating way to end it all.  They had a good run, but because I've spent way too much on them, I'm thinking that maybe I need to step back in time machine and slap myself before I started this.  Just 10 more....  :-[

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 20, 2005, 03:47 PM »
From Fwoosh.net:

For those of you concerned about the line ending, worry no longer - Damon told us that Toy Biz has renewed the license, and will continue producing figures as long as they sell. One booth operator on the floor was worried they brought too much LOTR - he sold out and had to bring more, leading to his speculation that this line has got legs beyond the movies.
We asked whether some of the concepts that have worked with the other lines would come over to LOTR. Unfortunately, the Toy Biz license won't allow LOTR figures in the Super Hero Showdown scale. Also, since the card and blister pack got smaller with the packaging change, the idea to have a build-a-figure Balrog wave was stalled. We'll keep hoping for that to change.

Just when you thought you were done with LOTR.  ;)
I guess they've realized these things sell immediately after hitting the pegs. I just hope the figures are easier to find now that they've got the license longer and won't shortchange the Epic line with impossible-to-find shortpacks and a small production run.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 20, 2005, 04:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Ben, nice to hear that the LOTR line could be continuing.  I don't really actively buy it anymore, but if I somehow cleared up some more space I might consider it again.  It is too bad they couldn't do a "Showdown" scale with LOTR.  I'd be all over some 3 3/4" LOTR figures ;).

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 20, 2005, 10:52 PM »
I guess this means I still have a "hobby".  :) And just when I thought it was over...  My big question is how many more figures of Aragorn and Frodo can there be?  I hope that they get a little more creative.  I'm a huge fan so I'll buy it  :P  Then again, I may draw the line at Backwoods Frodo with Pine Cone Wiping Action. 

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 22, 2005, 09:50 AM »
I came across a lone Citadel guard last night at a Wal-Mart, so I picked it up.  They had nothing else from that wave. 

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 26, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I need a lil help.  I know the power of e bay, but I'm just checking with you all.  I need Leg. wave 3, Peter Jackson, and Frodo wave 5 to complete the Fellowship.  I need Saruman wave 1, Gandalf the White wave 2, Leg. with and without sound wave 4 to complete Two Towers.  Then all I need for ROTK is the Eye of Sauron and Gothmog.  I can't seem to find any of these around or I missed them when they first came out.  Do any of you have these and would be willing to part with them?  Unopened and the packaging in pretty dang good condition?  Just thought I would ask before resorting to e bay.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 27, 2005, 04:40 PM »
I found these same figures at TRU, I guess they're the same anyway.  Nabbed the last Uruk Hai for my brother...  Couldn't tell if the Aragorn was a new figure, so I got him too...  Gandalf I picked up as well, and Aged Theoden.

These finally showed up in the North.  They did an amazing job on Theoden which makes it all the more inexplicable why they cannot nail just a single Aragorn.  I only bought the Gandalf and I really shouldn't have since I don't do much with this line. 

Bill, I'd love to help, but our stuff is primarily bilogo stuff and that tends to turn off non-openers for carded stuff we see.  Even if you were willing to take Canadian cards I probably couldn't help with most of that stuff as it's long gone and replaced by Frodo and Gollum out the ying-yang.  Sorry. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
LOTR Unleashed?
« Reply #1154 on: August 4, 2005, 10:43 AM »
Although it looks like this was reported last week, I just saw it this morning.  The Green Dragon is reporting that they have gotten word that ToyBiz is planning an upcoming "Unleashed" Lord of the Rings line, in the same vein as our Star Wars Unleashed.  At least someone is seeing the potential with a line like this.  These could be kind of cool, I'm interested to see if this ends up being true.  You can read more at the linky above, scroll down to "Thurs, July 28" for the report.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2005, 02:02 PM by mosnab »