Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277808 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #720 on: June 2, 2004, 09:41 AM »
That's been a decision I've been wrestling with too Scott, Minimates or the ToyBiz figures.  I like minimates, and they wouldn't take up nearly as much space, but the Toy Biz figures are pretty spiffy too.  Plus, I will only be getting a handful of them if any.  It is hard to decide, what would you LOTR collectors do, if you didn't have a collection to start with and had to choose one line to collect in a somewhat limited fashion.  I only have a Legolas and Gollum right now...and none of the minimates.  I guess I'm leaning towards TB right now, just because I don't think I'll get more than 10 figures total.  Then again, even if I get those, I'll probably decide I want the minimates too later :P.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #721 on: June 2, 2004, 10:01 AM »
Well...if you go Toy Biz

Gandalf Trilogy Gandalf the Grey or the Upcoming SA Gandalf the Grey
Gandalf II Trilogy Gandalf the White
Aragorn ROTK Aragorn (There are tons of others from Strider to Helm's Deep etc, just my personal favorite)
Frodo Not sure which is my favorite...but I think I like Elven Cloaked Frodo
Pippin Tough One but I'd pick Armored Pippin
Merry Again Armored Merry
Samwise TTT Sam
Gimli Trilogy Gimli

I guess you could pick up the Merry and Pippin 2 Pack that out there somewhere

I'd also get a Boromir so you could have a complete Fellowship, the Tilogy one should suffice.  Oh and Morgul Lord Witchking

And if you have the $$$ get Sauron and maybe the Big Treebeard, two of the best figures ever

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 2, 2004, 12:10 PM »
Thanks a lot for the suggestions Scott, I really do appreciate it.  It looks like we have much the same taste in figures too, because most of those were ones I was considering as well.  Now I need to talk the wife into it, and see what I can find at retail around here.  I am pretty sure I have seen both of the armored Pip and Merry around here, and I might end up waiting for the Coronation Gimli to see what it is like.  There is supposedly "super poseable" versions of Frodo and Aragorn coming up in July, I might see what those are like.  The toughest find might be a Gandalf, but I'll take a look.  Also...the Legolas I have is the Rohan Armor version...does anyone think another version is better?  I'm going to try not to have too many "multiple" versions of characters on display, since I'm trying to keep it small for now...so I'm looking for the best version of each character for the most part.  Thanks again.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 2, 2004, 01:13 PM »
I'd go with I Love Kobe's choices with the exception of the Aragorn, I'd wait to see what the new one looks like.  Arwen and Elrond would make some nice choices too
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 2, 2004, 01:14 PM »
I'm also guessing Mainland was fibbing a little
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #725 on: June 2, 2004, 04:16 PM »
I'm bummin' right now.

I got a KotD figure at TRU a short while ago for my brother Cole and his freakin' hand broke off.  I got back to the store today and low and behold they are fresh out of KotD and so is every store in the area it appears. :(

I now am hesitant to return the figure for him since I don't know how tough to get he's gonna be.  He was in abundance just last time I was there too!  I wanted one for myself even, but I always get for him first because this is his "thing" he likes to collect.

Anyone know if he's gonna be one of the tougher ones to find over time?  I'd hate for my bro to miss out on this one just because TB made a figure whose hand broke at the slightest touch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #726 on: June 2, 2004, 04:22 PM »
Weird my KotD hand broke off too, its happened two or three times (Sam's arm and Faramir's Sword) that I'm used to gluing them back together.

It broke when I tried to twist the wrist...I will say as nice as these figures look, their play value sort of sucks.  Same goes for the Marvel Legends figs, they get soooo loose after a few moves its hard to stand them upright

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 3, 2004, 08:53 AM »
I don't have a lot of LOTR figures yet....but I have noticed that with many of my Marvel figures though too.  Although the articulation is great, and the figures look pretty spiffy...many of mine have gotten loose joints awfully fast...and all they do is pretty much sit on a shelf aside from a possible (rare) re-posing now and then.  I can't imagine how they hold up with kiddos playing with them regularly...seems like they might get kind of floppy in some areas.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #728 on: June 3, 2004, 09:32 AM »
I gave Max my first Movie Spidey after I got the 42 point articulated version.  That thing is so loose it can barely stand up and he hardly plays with it :o

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 3, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Yep, the few ML figs my daughter has snagged are pretty floppy too -- red Elektra and movie DD.  

I still have that Gimli for you if you want it Brian.  

I'm going for the fast and easy collection with as little thought as possible with respect to LOTR Trilogy stuff.

Hobbits: There and Back Again set.  Not the best necessarily of each figure, but once they clearance this it will be cheap.  

Mouth of Sauron set: white Gandalf (already have the original grey version), decent Legolas and Aragorn figures, has a Gimli and you get the Mouth of Sauron figure with a horse.  Cool.  

Boromir to complete the Fellowship - for me the basic is fine - readily available and cheapish.  

Elrond I'll wait for the robed version as per advice here.  I picked up the original in Trilogy packaging and it sucked.  

I have Arwen, Eowyn and Galadriel.  Primarily for my daughter, when she's old enough to watch these movies.  From watching ROTK the other night, that will be quite a while.  Awfully scary stuff in there.  

I have the king of the dead figure already and while it's nice, I thought the glow in the dark aspect sucked.  It just didn't work that great, IMO.  Cool figure though.  

Ring Wraiths:  Need 7 or so.  Want to get one on horseback (Scott, can you send mine back :-*), will pick up the three pack, get the witch king version with the mace and then fill it out probably with a basic wraith or two.  

Looking at around 20 figures.  I think the only real reason for going through this is because the lack of SW product that I'll be actively hunting through the second half of the year.  Barring an influx of Kubrick stuff, Marvel Legends, McFarlane stuff it could be a relatively cheap second half.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #730 on: June 3, 2004, 10:49 AM »
Brent I actually still might have the Ringwraith and Horse boxed...I'll check tonight :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 3, 2004, 11:03 AM »
Only if you don't want it.  It's pretty close in cost to booze, so throw in one OTC fig and we'd be done.  I would of course throw you a batmobile ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 3, 2004, 11:14 AM »
I kind of like your box set idea Brent, I might have to look into that route too.  I'm going to check out the retails spots around here this weekend if we go out and about, see what's there to pick up (and what I can talk the wife into).  I'll let you know about the Gimli, thanks for the offer :).

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 3, 2004, 06:59 PM »

Anyone know if he's gonna be one of the tougher ones to find over time?  I'd hate for my bro to miss out on this one just because TB made a figure whose hand broke at the slightest touch.

I know that I haven't seen him since he made his first appearance locally a month or so back.  Unless it will be sent out in the next wave of figures, he might  be hard to find again. I think it varies from area to area on whether or not some of these figures become incredibly hard to find.  I've read that some people have yet to find an Morgul WitchKing and I've seen that figure all over the stores I frequent.
Anyways, if you get in a jam and need one, I have an extra I'd be more than happy to send your way, then you can return the broken one and get your money back.

I really thought the glow-in-the-dark feature worked well.  I had to 'charge' him up for a minute or two and it held for quite some time.  
Beth

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 3, 2004, 09:25 PM »

I really thought the glow-in-the-dark feature worked well.  I had to 'charge' him up for a minute or two and it held for quite some time.  

Yeah, I whine too much :D