Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277827 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #1185 on: October 29, 2005, 12:38 AM »
While I'm not happy to lose a great line to collect, I'm glad I won't be buying any more Frodos, Legolases, and Aragorns. I do wish that Toy Biz would have thrown a few more Easterlings and rotocast Trolls out to us poor bastards who'd like to buy them, but alas, it's not to be.

But when you've done a Frodo only seen for a few minutes at the beginning of FOTR, you know your line has jumped the shark and flown into the next county.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1186 on: October 29, 2005, 01:49 AM »
All I want is that Eowyn and then it's lights out.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1187 on: October 29, 2005, 04:42 AM »
Agreed, and sadly Toy Biz didn't see what they COULD have been doing to keep the line going.  Let's face it, the army builders in this line were a bitch to find for most, and they still are.  Orcs of all kinds are at a premium, the Rodian's could've had multiple releases and (gasp) one with a horse would've been nice and TB saw fit not to do the logical choice.

Easterlings, of course...  And then Haradirrim...  The Corsairs...  Orcs, Uruk Hai...  Gondorian horsemen, Gondorian Rangers, Faramir's Lt., More Gondorian soldiers...  And the people buying this stuff lately weren't the movie people necessarilly but the hardcore TOlkien fans who would buy all kinds of random stuff.  You could've milked this license for a while.

No men of Bree, no Dwarves besides Gimli...  There was more potential to it I think, had the line been widdled down to a collector-oriented thing, where they could've kept it alive with characters people wanted that were obscure and army builders, and not have killed the line like they did.  I mean, who honestly saw the Moria Goblin hardly at all?  These figures were a pain in the ass for people to find much less find multiples, so it was disappointing to say the least.

This could be a frightening glimpse into SW's future if their TV ventures flop.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 31, 2005, 10:48 PM »
There's an article up on The GD now about the line being truly over, so I guess that's all she wrote.

It looks like the Final Battle gift pack is coming out after all, which is good since I want that Troll in there.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1189 on: October 31, 2005, 10:59 PM »
Gee, major franchise makes lots and lots of toys

No new movies

Retail dumps the line

Toybiz "doesn't renew the license"

I agree on LFL hoping that this TV thing goes gonzo...the **** thing about that though, to me, all of that is EU and I'd rather have unmade OT figures any single day of the week over some cheesy TV guy

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1190 on: October 31, 2005, 11:18 PM »
I think Ben and I were talking about this the other day, but I don't think SW will fizzle out right away.  LOTR didn't either (it's been almost two full years since ROTK - holy **** now that I think about it...) and SW has a much more robust and dedicated core base.  Of course time will tell, but iI don't think t's any where near over.

As for LOTR itself, it's a shame, but they had an incredible run.  Really great selection of characters and it was sort of a mini SW in terms of collecting.  It was fun while it lasted.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1191 on: November 1, 2005, 02:22 AM »
It looks like the Final Battle gift pack is coming out after all, which is good since I want that Troll in there.

I can attest to finding these a week or two ago.  Got one for my brother and they seemed to have "enough" on the pegs.  Now they've got the one w/Sauron out...

Hope you nab that set, it's pretty cool with the troll I thought.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 1, 2005, 10:50 PM »
I found two today, but I didn't have the scratch for it. How much was it there? If it's close to $40, I might have to pass on it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1193 on: November 2, 2005, 12:00 AM »
I think they were $25?  The same price as all the similarly sized sets like the Lothlorien one I think...

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 5, 2005, 08:47 AM »
Well, it was a fun line while it lasted but in a way I'm grateful. I have all the figures I wanted and only missed a few so I am very happy. I have to agree that TB killed the ilne by not making army builders more available and other parts of line.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 8, 2005, 10:13 AM »
Action-Figure.com has now posted an article again confirming that ToyBiz has elected not to renew the LOTR license as of the end of this year.  Interesting though, is a little blurb in the article that mentions that another company may be thinking of picking it up.  No idea who it would be, but interesting news either way.  If another company picked up this line, would you buy into it again?  I basically got what I wanted (or could afford/display), but if some company came up with a line of 3 3/4", articulated, nicely sculpted LOTR figures, I'd have to admit I'd be a little tempted.  It will be curious to see what comes of this.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 8, 2005, 01:17 PM »
I have pretty much everything I want from LOTR. I'm just worried about finding that last wave of Epic with Eowyn in it.

If some other company were to pick it up, I doubt I'd buy in unless the figures were 3 3/4".

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 8, 2005, 10:22 PM »
I love what I have and am glad I have it, but I am done for now. They would have do something that is a huge improvement over the ToyBiz line for me to buy in at this point. And I would want a similiar scale and more detail, with a broader band of characters. As for the license, I don't see a major retailer picking it up and IF someone does, prices will be more so I just think that this line is dead. I would say that if I was in business, I would not pick the line up.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1198 on: November 8, 2005, 10:49 PM »
Man, even if someone did pick up the SW scale on these, I don't know.  I'm swamped as it is. 

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 9, 2005, 10:04 AM »
It seems like the 3¾ scale is terribly out of style anyway. Are there any others besides Star Wars?