Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277754 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Rings Figures
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2003, 11:30 AM »
I've been debating on whether or not to collect one of the LOTR lines (the Toy Biz one or the 3" line), and I had a question for you Toy Biz collectors.  If I buy some of this line, I'd mainly like to get the main characters to start with (Frodo, Aragon, Sam, Gollum, Pip, Merry, Gimli, Legolas, Gandalf, etc.)  Which are the best versions of these characters to pick up (and are they somewhat easy to find still?).  I know that the last two times I've been out checking the aisles I have seen a few Gollums (don't know why I haven't picked one up yet), but I also see there is a articulated one coming for ROTK?  Maybe I am mistaken.  Anyways, just curious if you had any advice for me on collecting some of this line?  I'm just trying to decide which line to get, and then see if we can afford it.  Thanks for any advice.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2003, 02:36 PM »
I had a huge response for you this morning mosnab but the dang board crashed right when I hit reply...soooo

I'd pick up Gollum, the bendy figure works in this case

I'd also pick up this set from KB

Deluxe Fellowship 9 Pack

From there on you are really supplementing background characters...Saurman, Sauron, Biblo, Galadriel, Eomer, Faramir, Orcs, Ringwraiths, Treebeard etc etc etc  These figs are all some of the best figures ever done

The tough part is...Toy Biz has been notorious for choosing to release and rerelease previous figures over and over so you may be able to pick up some of the figures in a few months in ROTK packaging

It is bizzare really...

There are plenty of variants of the main characters most notably Aragorn/Strider, Frodo and Gandalf.  My personal favorites of the three:

Aragorn...Helm's Deep
Frodo...The single release of the one from the Sam/Frodo boat 2 pack
Gandalf The White The one that camewith Shadowfax

So...it is a complicated thing, cheapest way would be to get the 9 pack and some of the ones you like the most from the Saga

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2003, 05:50 PM »
Just a quick note on the Deluxe 9-pack.  It's now being released in TTT red packaging and was found at an Ohio walmart for $29.95.

I agree with Scott on his picks for Aragorn and Gandalf but I prefer the Frodo with the light-up 'sting' as the best of that character.  The hard-to-find Arwen on horseback (with Frodo) is now being released in the red packaging also so if you start now, you could probably pick up almost everything that's been made (besides Elrond and TW Frodo).
Beth

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2003, 11:26 PM »
I do have a few figures from the regular line to part with.  I have a loose complete Gimli, original Aragorn.  FOTR Legolas and a TTT Gollum (not smeagol).  

The only one I'm keeping is the original Gandalf.  I just love that light up staff.  If I could get a Gandalf the white, I'd probably keep it to.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 4, 2003, 09:31 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I just about picked up a TT Gollum this past weekend, but held off for now.  My wife isn't too crazy about me picking up another line, since I recently told her I wanted to collect a little of MOTU as well.  I think I might just choose between the two, but I'm kind of leaning towards LOTR for now.  I think MOTU might just be a "phase" I'm going through, and plus, I've seen quite a few complaints about that line.  Maybe I'll start my LOTR collection off with a Gollum this next weekend, if there are some still there.  Also, a new Target just opened where we shop, and they had some ROTK figures, Frodo, Sam, repack Aragon, and Eomer.  I was tempted to pick up a Frodo and/or Sam as well.  Anyways, thanks again for the advice!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2003, 10:07 AM »
MisterPL, was that Eomer or Eowyn you found?  Just curious...

That would be Eomer.

I also found the Smeagol and Treebeard figures at TRU last night. Smeagol's just a Gollum with a smile (pretty frickin' creepy, too) and Treebeard's just a much smaller, carded version of the 14" TTT figure. He looks like he'd fit in better with Play Along's line.

(Found Armies of Middle Earth sets there, too, but that's for another thread.)
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2003, 10:21 AM »
Eowyn is in the Wave that you picked up, Small TreeBeard ??, Smeagol and Gollum.  

Swiped from the SCS ;)

Possible '04 Plans from Toybiz, looks like a bunch of rereleases, possible new figures in bold

Jan 04 Lord of the Ring TRILOGY: Fellowship of the Ring
Asst 1: Twilight Ringwraith, Twilight Frodo (CHASE), Galadriel, Strider, Boromir, Frodo (new style), Prologue Elf Warrior

Asst 2: Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf the Grey, Witchking, Arwen, Elrond, Bilbo

Jan 04 LOTR TRILOGY: The Two Towers
Asst 1: Helms Deep Aragorn, King Theoden in Armor, Smeagol, Eowyn, Eomer, Crossbow Uruk-Hai, Saruman
Asst 2: Helms Deep Legolas, Gollum, Gandalf the White, Frodo w/Sting, Beserker Uruk-Hai, Treebeard

Jan 04 LOTR TRILOGY: The Return of the King
Asst 1: King Aragorn, Pippin in Armor, Harad Archer, Legolas
Asst 2 (April 04): King of the Dead, King of the Dead - Glow in the Dark, Faramir, Merry in Armor, Witchking in Armor
Asst 3 (July 04): Queen Arwen, Gollum w/Ring, Gimli, Ringwraith, Uruk-Hai, Shelob

Some of this ROTK Swag may actually be coming this year and this is just plans for rerelease next year.  These figures are amazing, good to see everyone should have a chance to get them

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2003, 11:10 AM »
I've seen the first wave at least a couple of times, so far.  And I've passed on them at each opportunity.  Perhaps I'm a little burnt out from the Chicago show?  Anyway, if I see the Warg and Sharku, that will probably be my first ROTK purchase.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2003, 10:20 PM »

Asst 2: Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf the Grey, Witchking, Arwen, Elrond, Bilbo

ELROND!!????  Oh please, oh please, oh please!!   ;D ;D ;D
Beth

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2003, 11:40 PM »
I found all the available ROTK figs today at TRU with the exception of course of Eowyn and Bilbo.  I only bought Frodo because they cost $9 each, but I was impressed with all of them.   I'm looking forward to the rest.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2003, 03:17 AM »
I picked up the red-boxed Fellowship pack at Wal-Mart today for the handsome sum of $25, apparently a 'clearance' price from the regular $29.72. Hm.

It's cool, but I really didn't figure that I have to put it somewhere when I got it home. Damn thing's huge.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2003, 08:49 PM »
Anyone having any luck finding Bilbo and Eowyn? None such luck here.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2003, 08:57 PM »
A couple of my friends have found Eowyn, but she was packed one to a case.  I also found a lone Treebeard, as well as some Smeagols and Gollums.  So far, he's what I've seen personally:

Frodo
Sam
Eomer
Gollum
Smeagol
Treebeard

...and that's it.  Haven't seen Eowyn, or any of the horse and rider sets yet.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2003, 09:08 PM »
OH JOY!!!!  

Not only did the hubby bring back form his trip to New Jersey two more deluxe Ringwraith and horse sets (I'm building a scene), he scores the Helm's Deep five-pack and an Eowyn to boot!!

He (along with my son) have become masters of the toy isle.  When he found Smeagol, Treebeard and co., he thought he check around the other toy isles and sure enough, she was hidden among other toys!!  He was incredibly proud of himself and so am I  ;D :D :) ;).

As for the toys, I really like the Eowyn figure.  The face sculpt is pretty close to Miranda,  the dress seems to follow pictures I've seen and the figure actually stands!!  I have yet to rip open the five pack, but Haldir's outfit is incredible though his face sculpt is not as good as it could have been.  All in all, I'm a happy mother and wife tonight...which makes everyone else around me happy too!! :-*
Beth

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2003, 10:41 PM »
I've seen one Sharku/Warg set, but have yet to pick it up. No rush.