Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277911 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Lord of the Rings Figures...Prologue Bilbo at KB.com!!!
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2003, 09:31 PM »
Probably because they didn't think they could move 30,000 units (that may be pushing it)

Although how a Cave Troll and Cave Troll 2 got made is a little rediculous

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2003, 10:52 PM »
The first Cave Troll had a lot more screen time than the Balrog, plus he was smaller. Why the second got made, I'll never know. Maybe TB sold it to retailers cheap, because the mold should be paid for by now.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2003, 09:29 AM »
Well, I just thought I'd post that I got my first two Lord of the Rings figures this past weekend...Rohan Armor Legolas, and "bendy" Smeagol.  I know I will never have large collections like many of you, since I don't have the $$ or space after Star Wars collecting, but I was really happy to get these figures.  However, I now find myself wanting more and more of them, I could see how this line could become addicting.  I got my Legolas via KBToys.com (the shrine of LOTR lately it seems), and I picked up the Smeagol at a TRU.  I had a choice between the bendy version and the new ROTK "super articulated" version, and at the time, I just decided to get the bendy version.  I hope I didn't make a mistake, but I'm sure there will be other chances to pick the other one up if I regret it.  Next I'd like to find a Gandalf, Aragorn, and Frodo.  My wife isn't too crazy about me collecting these, but I figured I'd just sneak them in little by little :)  Anyways, just thought I'd post to say I have actually joined the LOTR collectors now  :P

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2003, 01:38 PM »
Anyways, just thought I'd post to say I have actually joined the LOTR collectors now  :P

Welcome aboard, let's see how long it lasts before you have all the fellowship characters hidden in the house  ;)

PS:  And may I say, your first choice in figures from KB is excellent...
Beth

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2003, 12:01 AM »
Am I the only person to go the other way?  I know these are great figures, but the abundance, cost ($15 up here) and relatively poor distribution again drove me away.  I still have a Gimli and Gandalf loose and a carded first Legolas but I'd get rid of all of them, save Gandalf in a heartbeat.  

It just didn't fit my budget :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 30, 2003, 09:16 AM »
let's see how long it lasts before you have all the fellowship characters hidden in the house

Actually, my wife has been pretty great about everything.  She has seen both of the figures, and although she thinks that our house is full enough with Star Wars alone...she didn't throw a stink when I picked up these figures.  Now, if I decided to collect nearly the whole line like with Star Wars, that might be more of a problem ;).  But, we don't have the room for that anyways.  For now it will be strictly Star Wars, and maybe a handful of LOTR figures....let's hope that lasts ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 09:17 AM by mosnab »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Rings Figures
« Reply #201 on: September 30, 2003, 01:10 PM »
I found the green boxed set of Arwen/Asfaloth and Ringwraith/Steed at Target yesterday. That's weird. I don't know if they're old stock or not, because I couldn't find a date stamp on any of the four boxes there.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2003, 01:43 PM »
Those have been showing up near me too.  Strange, at the very least to see these.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2003, 08:26 PM »
Entertainment Earth posts some interesting news:

Return of the King Series 4 - January 2004
To commemorate the release of the final film in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Return of the King, Toy Biz introduces 6 inch action figures! This case of 12 individually packaged action figures includes:

6x King Aragorn
2x Pippin in Armor
2x Harad Archer
2x Legolas.
QUANTITIES AND FIIGURE MIX IS LIKELY TO CHANGE

Return of the King Series 5 - January 2004
To commemorate the release of the final film in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Return of the King, Toy Biz introduces 6 inch action figures! This case of 12 individually packaged action figures includes:

2x King of the Dead
2x Faramir
2x Merry in Armor
2x King of the Dead (Glow in the Dark)
4x Witchking in Armor.
QUANTITIES AND FIIGURE MIX IS LIKELY TO CHANGE.

6 King Aragorns?  Umm... okay.  Otherwise I'm glad we're getting both Series 4 and 5 in Jan.  Hopefully Faramir is the armored version, allowing at the least customizing options for Gondorian Knights and Boromir.  After seeing the rotocast Legolas figure today, I think this will be the so far unseen Series 4 version, shrunk down of course.  New sculpt and likeness, lots of articulation.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 08:27 PM by Spuffy »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2003, 08:32 PM »
I should also add that the fact we're getting 4 and 5 so soon gives me great hope that we'll see many more series from ROTK.  The original Marz Trilogy list suggested this:

Series 6 - Queen Arwen, Gimli, Ringwraith, Uruk-hai, Gollum with Ring, and Shelob

And I think beyond that we still have plenty of time and opportunity for Denethor, Gondorian Knights, Orcs, Uruks, and all the other figs we want.   ;D

I hope.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 1, 2003, 12:54 AM »
That would be sweet. I just hope that they've abandoned the Trilogy repack idea. I hope, I hope, I hope. That would probably have worked better if I had ruby shoes.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 1, 2003, 03:23 PM »
I was looking for any opinions from those of you who have purchased the super-poseable Gollum/Smeagol from the ROTK line.  I happened to see this figure last weekend, but I ended up picking up the "bendy" version.  I thought about picking up the SP version if I see it again, but was wondering if you were very impressed with it or not.  I know all those joints are great on some figures, but sometimes they tend to get a little loose too in some cases.  Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you have it (and have opened it), and if you were happy with it.

Also...to add to this discussion, even though I am a new collector...I kind of hope they avoid repacking too many figs in that trilogy assortment too, that could really hurt the line obviously, and I want all of you to be able to find the new characters/figures you are looking for. :)
« Last Edit: October 1, 2003, 03:27 PM by mosnab »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #207 on: October 1, 2003, 03:39 PM »
I still haven't bought SP Gollum yet either, and I'm not sure if I will.  My cousin has him though (he bought him over armored Eowyn!  For shame!) and he seems okay.  You can pose him in a variety of ways, more so than the bendy versions, but he looks a little goofy.

With the repacks, I see it both ways.  There are some figures that should be revisited - Arwen, Elrond, Bilbo, Boromir, any type army builder.  Others, like Gollum for instance, no.  And the repacks (to this point) actually sell.  This is excluding the ROTK bendy Gollum and Smeagols currently clogging my local TRU.

I expect TB will continue producing original figures for some time, and the repacks are simply a means of catching the many, many people (like myself) who came into this mainly with The Two Towers.  There are even figs from TTT that could be, should be repacked (Easterling, Rohirrim Soldier, Elven Archer).  

I think when the Trilogy line hits in Dec./Jan. and there are lots of people high on ROTK who don't have a Frodo, Arwen, Ringwraith, et al, these will do pretty good.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #208 on: October 1, 2003, 03:48 PM »
EE posts the rest of the Trilogy breakdowns:

FOTR Series 1:
2x Twilight Ringwraith
1x Galadriel
3x Strider (the Toy Fair one from last year?)
3x Boromir (the Australian version? Nice shiny dagger?)
2x New Frodo (?)
1x Pologue Elf Warrior

FOTR Series 2:
3x Legolas
2x Gimli
2x Gandalf The Grey
2x Witchking
1x Arwen
1x Elrond
1x Bilbo

TTT Series 1:
3x Helm's Deep Aragorn
1x King Theoden in Armor
3x Smeagol
1x Eowyn (repaint?  White dress?)
2x Eomer
1x Crossbow Uruk-Hai
1x Saruman

TTT Series 2:
3x Helm's Deep Legolas
3x Gollum
1x Gandalf The White (the whiter?)
2x Frodo with Sting
1x Berserker Uruk-Hai
2x Treebeard

The Green Dragon also says TB will be making subtle changes to the figs where it makes sense (they mentioned changing the placement of white hands on Uruks but think of the Austrailian Boromir, with the dagger and new cloak).

Well, what does everyone think?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #209 on: October 1, 2003, 04:00 PM »
I think I'll be done with ROTK Series 5!